Need tech support that allows me to KEEP my purchased time.

My current dedicated server provider wants me to purchase service time a the rate of $75/hr, and wipes out all unused time after 1 week. Meaning, if I have a problem (I'm not linux-tech savvy) that is a 2 minute 'check something' or 5 minute quickfix, I have to spend $75 for it each time (unless there's 2 problems in the same week, which hasn't happened).

Could you imagine if other businesses ran this way? If you purchased a full tank of gas, and if you didn't use it all within a week, you were required to remove it from your car? I just can't wrap my head around why my host operates this way.

Can anyone on here suggest a service that can help me with small problems, and where I can purchase 'X' minutes of support time that I keep until it is used up?

Today, when checking my email, I got this email:

Subject: [check_cpanel_rpms] Altered RPMs found on cpanel.mydomain.net

Problems were detected with cPanel-provided files which are RPM controlled.
    If you did not make these changes intentionally, you can correct them by running:

> /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state:
    cpanel-php53-PEAR,1.9.4,3.cp1136,/opt/cpanel/php/53/.registry/pear.reg
    I have no idea what it means, and started panicking thinking my server was hacked. But my host wants at least $75 just to see what it's about.

Who is you host ?

The reason behind not allowing purchased support hours to carry over is that it makes allocating people to perform that support a nightmare. Imagine if people started carrying over time, gaining it over a period of a year or more, then one day everyone decides to call in their chips. The provider wouldn't be able to support all the requests and their level of service would degrade, possibly below their SLA. Allowing people to carry over support hours indefinitely just becomes a balance sheet nightmare; each of those hours is essentially a debt from an accounting perspective.

That being said, a week seems fairly ridiculous. We don't do it quite the same way, instead we use support contracts which are hours available and prepurchased as part of a contract. Those hours reset every month, on the billing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by softshop011 View Post
    Who is you host ?
    I would rather not mention them for fear of getting on bad terms with them. They've been helpful in he past, but my server is not a big commercial server. It's for hosting my small hobby web sites. So paying $75 each time there's a 5-10 minute problem is just not affordable

Quote Originally Posted by jfried View Post
    The reason behind not allowing purchased support hours to carry over is that it makes allocating people to perform that support a nightmare. Imagine if people started carrying over time, gaining it over a period of a year or more, then one day everyone decides to call in their chips.
    But that has nothing to do with being able to keep the minutes you purchased. Whether they were deleted or kept, that situation could happen any time. Even under their current policy, people could have a huge run of problems and purchase support time all at the same time.

Allowing people to carry over support hours indefinitely just becomes a balance sheet nightmare;
    I'm not sure how, because the time I have left is connected to my account. Whether I purchased it 2 months ago or 2 minutes ago makes no difference. Right?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just don't see the points you've made being valid ones.

Just execute that command which shows in the e-mail as root user, that should resolve the problem.

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

No need to pay your host for that
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by 24x7group View Post
    Just execute that command which shows in the e-mail as root user, that should resolve the problem.

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

No need to pay your host for that
    Actually I posted a msg on forums.cpanel.net and got a reply back that it was not a fatal error, and that the next update being pushed out should resolve it. So since I never do anything with my server's config, I'm just going to leave it

Hi

You should ask your host can you have managed support? This way they give you unlimited support.

Allot of hosts would give you such basic support for free.
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by z0diac View Post
    Could you imagine if other businesses ran this way?
    Actually, many services that charge an hourly rate will bill that way. You should find some that bill per half hour used, but two minutes would still be a half hour bill.

The best option as suggested above is probably to look at a fully managed service.

You have to consider that while it might only take somebody two minutes to actually 'fix' the problem. By the time they have picked up your request, looked into it .. {fix here} .. , testing and then replied to you. It's far more than just that two minutes of their time they have spent.

Honestly it just sounds like you need to find a managed service provider, that includes the cost of managing your server in the costs you pay each month. That way if you have 1 or 100 issues they will be there to help take care of them for you without the price you paying each month changing or increasing.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Having a managed server saved my but several times when I was starting out. May want to give it a go.
    1. Mmmmm food...

@zodiac
    The solution is right in that email.

Try webbycart. They were great.
    FreeRadius Authentication Services for OpenVPN, WiFi, WISP Billing, PPPoE, etc

13. Don't worry about this cPanel error, it's pretty common. Save 75$ for now
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

re: managed server

There's no way I could afford an extra $150/month (that's their managed server rate). It's just a web server with some small hobby sites that bring in almost $0. And paying $150/month when I've only needed help for less than 10mins, a couple times a year, wouldn't justify the $1800/yr cost.

I agree, a managed server is great if you're server is bringing in money. But mine doesn't.

Subject: [check_cpanel_rpms] Altered RPMs found on cpanel.mydomain.net

Problems were detected with cPanel-provided files which are RPM controlled.
    If you did not make these changes intentionally, you can correct them by running:

> /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state:
    cpanel-php53-PEAR,1.9.4,3.cp1136,/opt/cpanel/php/53/.registry/pear.reg
    That is fine and last cPanel updated caused it; run the mentioned script to fix it. Almost all the servers around the world suffered from it with last cPanel update. Anyway it is not a good way to spend that much of money each time for suppport requests. Either find a good host with managed services and move over to them ( like SingleHop ). or find someone to manage your servers in monthly basis in less price.
    Last edited by nixtree; 12-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dominum View Post
    @zodiac
    The solution is right in that email.
    I know, but whenever I do something that I don't know about, I muck things up

Try webbycart. They were great.
    'Will look into them - thanks! Edit:

(from one of their pages):
    Our Carriers
    Each facility that Our Data Center has diverse fiber optic cable entries, this provides for greater redundancy...

-snip-

All staff are also trained in handling Customer requests and easy to talk with. Staffs regularly goes to Trainings and Seminars
    Not sure I'm going to trust someone with my server that can't use proper spelling, grammar and sentence structure And their forums have more sub-forums than actual posts.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Don't worry about this cPanel error, it's pretty common. Save 75$ for now
    Thanks!
    Last edited by z0diac; 12-20-2013 at 12:12 AM.

try 3rd party support techs. like xesupport.net

z0diac, find a hosting company with good managed support and you can get the issues dealt with in minutes. No clocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHostPro View Post
    Allot of hosts would give you such basic support for free.
    I agree. Many providers are willing to help with small things like this for free these days.

Future Hosting is one host that provides excellent managed support at a surprisingly affordable rate. They've been doing quite a bit of custom configuration of Nginx and PHP-FPM for me as part of this, whereas a lot tell you take a walk for anything beyond cPanel and Plesk management (although they offer that too).

Quote Originally Posted by server305 View Post
    I agree. Many providers are willing to help with small things like this for free these days.
    Ev1Servers > ThePlanet > SoftLayer (who they are now) was *great* for tech support.

They wouldn't do any huge projects on your server of course, but something that would take maybe 5-10mins a few times throughout the year, they'd have no problem doing for you.

I really wish I stayed with them, except their prices were through the roof compared to others.

Hopefully I can find a pay-by-the-minute support service. (anyone know of one that is reputable?)

You can find a list of companies providing remote support at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/C...g_tech_support

Also take a look into http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139 for latest system management offers.

You can also contact cPanel directly to get support on cPanel generated errors. http://tickets.cpanel.net
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting Inc. Seattle, WA [AS54931] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Remote Hands Colocation

█ Email: [email protected] Phone: 253-880-1233

Quote Originally Posted by z0diac View Post
    My current dedicated server provider wants me to purchase service time a the rate of $75/hr, and wipes out all unused time after 1 week. Meaning, if I have a problem (I'm not linux-tech savvy) that is a 2 minute 'check something' or 5 minute quickfix, I have to spend $75 for it each time (unless there's 2 problems in the same week, which hasn't happened).

Could you imagine if other businesses ran this way? If you purchased a full tank of gas, and if you didn't use it all within a week, you were required to remove it from your car? I just can't wrap my head around why my host operates this way.

Can anyone on here suggest a service that can help me with small problems, and where I can purchase 'X' minutes of support time that I keep until it is used up?

Today, when checking my email, I got this email:

I have no idea what it means, and started panicking thinking my server was hacked. But my host wants at least $75 just to see what it's about.
    I guess you can look at it this way. You pay $75 for a hotel room for 24 hours, but only use 6 of those hours sleeping. You don't get to come back a week later and use up the remaining 18 hours.

What it sounds like to me might be more cost effective for you is to just buy a managed server. Right now you are potentially paying $300/mo. for the "managed" part. Add the cost of your server onto that and go get a cheaper managed server. Then you don't have to worry about paying anything additional, and you'll be getting things managed for you when you need them, whether you use it or not, you're still paying for it.

I can tell you that at the rate you are paying now, you're probably getting a better deal than if you got charged $75 a pop every time you needed something.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

I would just get some monthly recurring management which can fix these issues as and when the time arrises most likely would be better for you in the long term.

If it's just a small hobby site... with only few tasks a year... You could...

MAKE A FRIEND! xD (who is a sys admin or somewhat sufficient)

And they can do it for free!

I'm going to leave a completely relevant image here:
    http://i.imgur.com/eXDEFBh.jpg
    I have no sig to spam.

as you mentioned that you are using cpanel the best option for you is platinumservermanagement
    they are softlayer partner too.