Transfer from One.com

Hi, Anyone used to hosting website at One.com? I need some advices, Is one.com recommended? How do they support?
    If I use one year free at one.com, can I transfer my site to another hosting easily?

I've never used them.

You're asking the right question about a future transfer. In this case, I would definitely advise you register the domain with another company who are a good registrar (such as namecheap), and only use one.com for hosting. To do that, you'd need to change the nameservers to point it to your hosting account at one.com. (That is not the same as transferring the domain to them - because doing that would make them the registrar).

I know they say that you can transfer your domain to another host later. But I've met too many people who have found that to be harder than advertised (not with this particular host), that I wouldn't chance it.

But then here's the snag: Their sign-up form only gives you the option to register a domain when you sign up. If you enter a domain that's already registered, they only give you the option to transfer it. They don't appear to give the option to keep the domain registered elsewhere. So, if I were you, I'd ask them how you can do that. And if they say that you can't, and they must be the registrar for any domains they host, then that's a big red warning sign and find someone else to host your site.

It's not actually free, by the way - there's a 10.80 setup fee - but I'm guessing you'd already found that.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Oh, one more thing. They seem to use a custom control panel. That means that, whilst you could then transfer your content elsewhere later, you won't be able to do so "easily". Because the really easy transfers are when you transfer between hosts who use the same control panel. At the moment, cPanel is by far the most widely used, so it's safest to stick to hosts who use cPanel if you want an easy transfer later.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OakHosting_James View Post
    Oh, one more thing. They seem to use a custom control panel. That means that, whilst you could then transfer your content elsewhere later, you won't be able to do so "easily". Because the really easy transfers are when you transfer between hosts who use the same control panel. At the moment, cPanel is by far the most widely used, so it's safest to stick to hosts who use cPanel if you want an easy transfer later.
    Thank you very much, I am afraid of the binding, I will look for another hosting.

Let's take a step back. What kind of site is it? What's your actual budget? (We all like the idea of something for nothing, but I'm sure you have an actual amount you're willing to spend.)
    James