Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Insight SPLA Price Increase

Did anyone else just get a notice saying that effective January 1 that prices on SPLA licenses through Insight are going up between 20 and 45% depending on the license?
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Same
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I received this email as well. It looks like Windows Server 2012 Standard doesn't go up until January, 2015. Did I read this correctly?
    Jason Canady • Unlimited Net, LLC
    812.669.0551 • sales [at] unlimitednet.us
    Midwest Hosting Solutions • AS11990
    Dedicated Server Hosting

I just e-mailed with our rep. Apparently they've known about it for a long time, but didn't bother to tell us until now.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Note that this is a Microsoft increase, not specific to any partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonsite View Post
    It looks like Windows Server 2012 Standard doesn't go up until January, 2015. Did I read this correctly?
    Correct. Nothing next year, +20% in 2015

Datacenter goes up 38% in January and another 13% in 2015.

Insight are bound by MS prices like every other reseller to an extent, to be honest there is very little difference between them all (-10 to 10%, granted on 200+ desktop it adds up, sure same on SPLA vs OVLA), only issue was that Insight gave the correct price first time whilst the other resellers didn't until they had to commit, after much ball ache (try dealing with big companies) I couldnt get signoff on Insight and had to go with the bait and switch companies. Insight arent cheap but at least in the UK gave out the correct prices..
    MattF - Since the start..

My problem isn't so much with the price increase, as I get that it comes from Microsoft. It's that they provided us notice of the increase on December 18 that takes effect on January 1, when they've known of the increase for some time.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Strange, we don't seem to have received the notice, but I do see the increase from $65 to $90 January 2014 for Data Center Edition when I click on the latest newsletter under "SPLA Pricing Summary". Nothing mentioned about the 2015 changes that I see there though?
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    My problem isn't so much with the price increase, as I get that it comes from Microsoft. It's that they provided us notice of the increase on December 18 that takes effect on January 1, when they've known of the increase for some time.
    Who are you blaming MS or the the reseller?
    MattF - Since the start..

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Who are you blaming MS or the the reseller?
    Insight...
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

I think this was expected, I saw news on this back in September from other vendors...

Here's more specific details of the change: http://www.insight.com/us/en/brands/...ewsletter.html

Time to step away from Microsoft. It's good we don't have that many Windows boxes running.
    Isn't Bill Gates's bank account already big enough? How many more billions does he need?
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Quote Originally Posted by 24x7group View Post
    Time to step away from Microsoft. It's good we don't have that many Windows boxes running.
    Isn't Bill Gates's bank account already big enough? How many more billions does he need?
    Tell that to the customers who need it. What's the point of this post anyway?

Yes, received the email as well, so short notice is really a shock.

I don´t know if this comes from Insight or Microsoft but this does not show any seriousness on their part. So hosting companies are now supposed to increase their prices in days?

If I was a hosting company I would inform this on the email increase to my customers, that the notice came without any prior notification in advance just to wash of hands.

Lets see, Microsoft removed the 2008 products which where the most sold editions, in particular Server Web Edition. They forced providers to move to 2012 and for a more expensive price this year.

Then they changed their license regarding virtual systems and increase the prices again.

Now they increase in more than 20% their prices again in 2014.

So what is exactly Microsoft up to? Kill their partners and move customers to their own cloud? How exactly is Amazon and other companies offering virtual desktops for less than 30$ a month?

It seems Microsoft is pushing more expensive prices to most companies and have special deals with big providers.

Or they are trying to milk companies vs the loss they had with desktop licenses as it seems Win8 is not sold as much as they hope, neither the surface and other products where they lost gazillions dollars.

Is the way the way of Microsoft telling providers to drop completely MS products?

The 2013 price increase set Microsoft servers and other products in a thought spot already vs free Linux cloud machines. And now they come up with a bigger increase?

It seems Windows Server which I actually like allot and so do new admins of servers will be a thing from the past. The budget market at least will not be able to afford virtual machines running Windows anymore. Its going to be just to expensive to even be price affordable.

Also, Microsoft seems to forget the license cost is not the only cost providers have, they already have an extra burden with having to manage and report the licenses.

I think 2014 will be the year that Linux will completely take the hosting world as Microsoft is just shooting themselves more and more with removing products like Web Edition and increasing their prices even more for a product nobody wants. Yes Im talking to you Server 2012.

Companies can only offer what their users request, and so far I don´t see people begging to buy 2012 Servers. 2008 R2 was actually a great product.

Bring us back the 2008 Servers price model !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    Tell that to the customers who need it. What's the point of this post anyway?
    The point of the post probably was from the initial poster to confirm if only he received the price increase or others did as well because to be honest I was going to ask exactly the same thing before I saw this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Note that this is a Microsoft increase, not specific to any partner.

Correct. Nothing next year, +20% in 2015

Datacenter goes up 38% in January and another 13% in 2015.
    This is not what I received, allot of products go up by January 2014.

$65 -> $90/mo/cpu for data center. And another 15% in 2015. Greedy ****s.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    The point of the post probably was from the initial poster to confirm if only he received the price increase or others did as well because to be honest I was going to ask exactly the same thing before I saw this thread.
    I believe you misread my reply. That question was strictly to the useless reply I quoted (and replied to).

Apologies if it appeared otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    This is not what I received, allot of products go up by January 2014.
    I only mentioned Datacenter as it's probably the most relevant here. There are increases for System Center, Core Infrastructure Datacenter and Remote Desktop. Also some changes to Dynamics based on the new version, but you shouldn't have anything else?

The increase is do to the fact that you can run more VPS's on a single CPU socket, with AMD pushing out 24 core CPU's/socket in 2014 this was to be expected.
    AfterNorth Innovative solutions for tomorrow, today.
    0spam.org AntiSpam for Service Providers
    DotNetInvoice Online Billing Solutions
    Professional Services Since 1996

Microsoft announced it in August/September. Plenty of time till January no?

Windows Datacenter will increase now and in 2015; Standard in 2015.
    But this is due to the release of Windows Cloud Edition. It's going to cost differently: per hypervisor/processor and per VM instance (windows only). They want practically to force everybody to migrate to Win Cloud OS.

talking about Microsoft caught in a "monkey-trap"
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...l_monkey_trap/

Quote Originally Posted by The Register
    Microsoft is caught in a monkey-trap, created by cloud computing and Free Software, coupled with short-term thinking and a dose of not-invented-here syndrome.

You know how monkey-traps work? You make a small hole in a coconut shell, put some bait in it and tie it to something. The monkey comes along, reaches in for the bait and grabs a handful. But when it tries to retrieve its prize, it can't: its fist won't fit through the hole. The monkey is trapped by its own greed. Under pressure, the animal isn't able to choose between escape and letting go of the goodies; you just walk up and whack it over the head.

That's the situation Microsoft is in right now with its virtualisation strategy.......
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

We pass the costs on to customers. So, those that offer it FREE will probably bite the bullet now.

The joy of another announcement to customers during the holiday season.
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Domains, Hosting, Business Solutions, and Connectivity

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    talking about Microsoft caught in a "monkey-trap"
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...l_monkey_trap/
    Man, I knew I was going to be dealing with licensing headaches when it came to Microsoft... we were planning on adding Microsoft to our product line...

Reading that article though, that makes me go, "Licensing hell? Nopenopenopenopenopenope."
    ★ Nicholas @ EidolonHost
    ★ Blesta and InterWorx Reseller. See WebHost Licenses for details.
    ★ We have Let's Encrypt Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    $65 -> $90/mo/cpu for data center. And another 15% in 2015. Greedy ****s.
    You are talking about datacenter edition here with unlimited virtualization rights. If you index that to CPU/RAM performance gain you will see that in terms of computing capacity in 2015 it will still be cheaper than it was when $65/CPU price was introduced. It looks like Microsoft is saying "you consolidate workloads onto fewer machines with fewer CPUs because CPUs are bigger and RAM is more dense, so we adjust our price to compensate". Whether it makes sense or not is a question for each customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast