Dedicate managed, <$1000 with awesome support

Right now I'm on pair.net and have

2x Xeon E5-2630 2.3GHz Hexa Core CPUs
    64GB DDR3 1333Mhz ECC RAM
    240 GB SSD
    60GB SSD + 4x 120GB SSD
    6 TB transfer
    $800/mo.

I only need about 100 GB of storage and 2TB transfer max. The main thing I want to upgrade is the support. I want to know where people are really well taken care of and I think my budget is appropriate for that, though I'm open to criticism there.

I know my way around Linux well, but I don't want to have to manage everything and would prefer just to have someone take care of things and be there with support for the seldom but complex situations that come up. I'm aiming to spend between $500-1200.

If you are fully satisfied with your current provider and only concern is support, you can try to hire someone to manage your server within that budget and thus can avoid the overhead of a migration. You can find many support firms at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/C..._tech_support; take a look if you would like.

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    If you are fully satisfied with your current provider and only concern is support, you can try to hire someone to manage your server within that budget and thus can avoid the overhead of a migration. You can find many support firms at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/C..._tech_support; take a look if you would like.
    I'm not too worried about migration. I have a simple enough setup that I would be comfortable enough to migrate it myself within a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rails View Post
    I'm not too worried about migration. I have a simple enough setup that I would be comfortable enough to migrate it myself within a few hours.
    What's the issue you are experiencing with your current provider?

Definitely read the recent threads here in the dedicated servers section. There are a few providers that have been in the spotlight lately, that you'd wanna do your due diligence on. That said, we work with, and I personally recommend:
    OneZero Hosting
    Big Brain Global - Contact: Brian
    8DWeb

You would need to wait for individuals to reply to this thread as most companies will just be showcasing their signature in post here without much relevant information as they will be unable to suggest themselves

Despite the above, I think the price you are paying now is a bit high for such configuration, even considering the managed support you are getting. Most likely you can get a protected node for such price with managed support.

Also, what kind of application are you running on your server - websites or something else?

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. I had guessed that's what was going on. Yes we're just running websites (wordpress, drupal). Standard LAMP stack.

Why are you choosing to leave pair.net other then the $800 price tag? You could probably get that server for half the price

Make sure you don't go with a provider and outsource the support. External companies mostly don't have the opportunity to do on-site takes (f.e replacing hardware).
    Apart from that advice, would this provider have to be located in the United States or Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmax View Post
    That said, we work with, and I personally recommend:
    OneZero Hosting
    Big Brain Global - Contact: Brian
    8DWeb

You have servers with these providers?

The support is okay but I want better. Most support requests are handled very well. Every once in a while a run of the mill support request gets handed to some dumbass who screws stuff up. It's the minority but there's no accountability when someone screws something up.

The price is fine. Shopping around to peer1 or rackspace got similar prices.

Stay at your current provider and contact stevenc from rack911 for the management part.

Should be a good combo

Pair doesn't have unmanaged solutions so I'd be paying for management twice so I'd probably have to move anyway. I'd rather just have the management and server all in one place. Makes it easier to maintain and easier for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintereise View Post
    Stay at your current provider and contact stevenc from rack911 for the management part.

Should be a good combo
    +1 - this should be perfect combo as rack911 are known for excellent server management.

I thought Pair was good, although never used them before. Peer1 is good. But I think you may be able to find a good solution for half the cost. There are quite a few other fully managed providers who will charge you considerably less than $800/mo.

Good luck with your search.

Their not bad, just had a few bad experiences and thought I'd check out other options. Most of my sites can be deployed anywhere in 10 minutes so the migrations isn't a big deal for me.

for Managed hosting i recommend Liquidweb , Wiredtree and Rack911
    i had good experience with them in the past

For managed provider the one that come to mind is knownhost,wiredtree n futurehosting

Quote Originally Posted by rails View Post
    Right now I'm on pair.net and have

2x Xeon E5-2630 2.3GHz Hexa Core CPUs
    64GB DDR3 1333Mhz ECC RAM
    240 GB SSD
    60GB SSD + 4x 120GB SSD
    6 TB transfer
    $800/mo.

I only need about 100 GB of storage and 2TB transfer max. The main thing I want to upgrade is the support. I want to know where people are really well taken care of and I think my budget is appropriate for that, though I'm open to criticism there.

I know my way around Linux well, but I don't want to have to manage everything and would prefer just to have someone take care of things and be there with support for the seldom but complex situations that come up. I'm aiming to spend between $500-1200.

If you only need ~100GB of storage why do you have the 240GB, 60GB, and 4 x 120GB SSD drives? Do you have a need for all of those drives? (i.e. physical separation of data, performance/iops, etc)

Peer1 (given the quotes I've received before) will be in that ball park or more. I'll probably look there first though.