Exclamation Linux os for hosting

I am providing VPS in my service mainly, been offering Windows Server 2008 for a while and decided to offer Linux flavors mainly:-
    Cent OS
    Fedora
    Ubuntu
    Linux MINT

-Is it a good practice to provide those OS with the GUI or without?
    or is it NOT that big of a deal !?
    -How do most service providers (VPS hosting) provide access to Linux usually ? is it through SSH only or VNC ?!
    -Do most service providers offer Linux with root access login for the customer or just a standard user ?

Thank you,

If you are talking about VPS, it is better to provide the OS without a desktop environment (GUI). The user can install a desktop environment of his choise, via SSH (some prefer Gnome, others prefer KDE, so it is better to provide it without any GUI and they can install what they like).

And for a VPS, yes, you should provide root access.
    Network Panda :: Web Hosting SSD Powered :: Reseller Hosting
    Instant activation, fast servers, SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups, SSL certificates
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland

Using a root access tech people can install VNC, desktop them self. SSH access is sufficient. Though you an set some template to install desktop as per requirement.
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine Networks / Datacomm / GSP

Shared hosting | cPanel reseller | VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VOIP | GSP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

I think most people would prefer to not have the GUI due to the perception that it can use a lot of resources unnecessarily, which is a fair point as most people using an unmanaged VPS will be comfortable with the command line and VPSs traditionally have limited resources. Perhaps if you're hosting game servers or something a GUI would be more appreciated, but not everyday web hosting.

Always root. People rent VPSs based on the assumption that they are for all intents and purposes dedicated servers. If you can, use KVM or Xen to further the dedicated server feel — many in the know can and do express preference for those hypervisors.

BTW NetworkPanda, I feel you are missing a major trick by having no pictures of pandas on your home page.
    Last edited by Ryan Williams; 12-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Whether you should offer VNC depends on the virtualisation. But if you're having to ask questions like this, are you sure you're ready to support your clients if things don't quite work as they ought to?
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

SSH with root access is essential for most of the users who are wanting to buy a linux based vps. They normally use VNC but as mentioned in the earlier posts they can install themselves Gnome for GUI.
    Hostpaedia - Affordable, Reliable & Secure Web Hosting
    Web Hosting : Host Unlimited Websites, cPanel, Softaculous, Servers in USA and Germany
    Reseller Hosting : cPanel, Softaculous
    VPS Hosting : KVM VPS powered by Virtualizor

Well, although it is pretty common to expect everything mentioned above (full root access is mandatory, GUI should be optional, etc)

You should also think about your target market. For example one could be offended not being able to select a Debian minimal image (that guy may be me, but you get the point)

Cheers,
    Panagiotis

Root access is what people want to save memory consumption..GHJ is still in minority
    And Cpanel is quite popular
    But as a vps provider everything and don't turn back any customer !