Why Does Net Earth One require my ID?

Hello, I am brand new here and am starting with a question as I am seeking a new registrar to work with. Based on some suggestions I was considering Net Earth One but after applying they asked for some ID to verify who I was I guess, supposedly to prevent fraud.

I have been buying and selling domains since 1996. I started selling domains with register.com, then their wholesale arm, then Tucows, GoDaddy, their wholesale arm (Wild West), then internetbs.net and then resell.biz. I still have accounts with GD, WW, IBS, and Resell.biz.

In the past GD and WW offered free privacy, then got greedy, so although I maintain accounts there, I no longer purchase my own domains through them. I then tried internetbs but had several problems with them. 1. my preferred credit card had a problem dealing with a company in Nassau. 2. Their promised 24 hour support never materialized although for a long time it was advertized on their home page. 3. There are problems ordering privacy when buying a domain requiring remembering to go back later and add it, and when I tried to move domains away, 4. They put up some resistance to releasing my domains.

Then I took other suggestions and tried resell.biz. It is very awkward with their system to place orders, the same issue with getting privacy when transferring a domain, and every single link to authorize a domain transfer has resulted in an error causing me to ask for help which brings up the last issue, many, many emails to them have gone unanswered and calls during their business hours have gone unanswered resulting in calls left on their VM that have never been returned.

So after more research, I thought I would try another company, this time applying at Net Earth One. To get an account there they wanted some sort of proof I was who I was, i.e. DL, passport, utility bill, etc.

Why is it I have been doing this since 1996 with all of the above companies, none asking for me to prove who I am, and now this company wants my ID?? I am rather put off by the request. Why isn't my name, address, phone numbers, and credit card enough for them?

Has anyone else had an issue with this or do you just go along and provide it? I am not paranoid, I am just wondering why none of the other companies want it and of all those companies, Net Earth One demands it?

Reminds me of a saying which I will paraphrase...thieves don't trust thieves, and liars assume everyone else is a liar. I am not calling them a thief or a liar, but they want me to trust them but they can't trust me.

Even when I showed them my Wild West signup page that still wasn't enough. If I was engaged in fraudulent activities, why would I have not done so with any of the past companies that I still have an account with, and would choose now to become dishonest and use Net Earth One to practice fraudulent activity with?

Can someone suggest another company that doesn't require my ID but has a service that works properly and at a reasonable cost?

thanks,
    Lew

2. Why don't you just scan some type of ID? it's legitimate to ask for a proof, there is so many frauds nowdays.
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Then I took other suggestions and tried resell.biz. It is very awkward with their system to place orders, the same issue with getting privacy when transferring a domain, and every single link to authorize a domain transfer has resulted in an error causing me to ask for help which brings up the last issue, many, many emails to them have gone unanswered and calls during their business hours have gone unanswered resulting in calls left on their VM that have never been returned.
    It's not uncommon these days to ask for ID. I'd recommend NetEarthOne, note that they do use the same interface as resell.biz but have much faster support

Why did none of the other seven registrars require it if in fact fraud was so prevalent and how would having my ID stop me from committing fraud and what kind of fraud would I commit anyway?

You are assuming I am more likely to commit fraud than they are. Why would you make that assumption? It is like being assumed guilty.

The other point was that if I was going to commit fraud, why wouldn't I have already done it with the other registrars I am working with?

Welcome to WHT.

Obviously, only Net Earth One can answer your questions. If you're asking them to understand your situation, then some answers can help.

One possibility is Net Earth One experienced enough fraud orders from your location to consider stricter measures. They can always ban users from your area from signing up with them, yet they're still willing to (seemingly) accommodate.

Going by that, did you change residence or location since 1996? Use some kind of proxy service to "hide" your location? Stuff like that.

Besides, it's also possible that Register.com or whatever registrar may also require ID since then. Things change, after all.

As to why one company may do this while another may not, one reason is the company decides what they deem necessary for whatever purpose. That's something all of us (can) do if one thinks about it.

I believe Net Earth One has a member here. Maybe you can ask him/her, although you need at least five posts in WHT to send anyone a private message.

Good morning all, Lew as per my request to you for ID, because your domain name was behind a privacy protection service, we need to know who we are dealing with.

At no point was we assuming you were/are going to commit fraud - that's barmy and your own assumption.

Dave Zan hit the nail close to the head although the wrong end We have zero fraud, we have this because we go through this process of ID verification in the first place. If we do not feel "warm and fuzzy" about a relationship, we simply will not enter into it, as it will harm us going forward.

OP you are also correct (as put in your ticket) in that if you wanted us to open the CC gateways you would be requested to provide more information - including but not limited too : CC scan (CCV number removed) and Utililty Bill, otherwise PayPal is already enabled and available to Verified accounts.

You may or may not like our ID verification process, but we have this there for the reasons stated in the ticket, to protect our reseller base as well as ourselves.

Fraud = costs go up to the reseller base it really is as simple as that in this day and age.

I am sorry if you feel the way you feel Lew, but, on the other hand, I have to safeguard our business.
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, http://reseller.netearthone.com
    SSLReseller - WHMCS SSL module now released into BETA www.sslreseller.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!

Quote Originally Posted by netearth View Post
    Dave Zan hit the nail close to the head although the wrong end We have zero fraud, we have this because we go through this process of ID verification in the first place. If we do not feel "warm and fuzzy" about a relationship, we simply will not enter into it, as it will harm us going forward.
    Well, I did say it's possible. Thanks for still replying, and your answer makes sense.