View Poll Results: Do you use FraudRecord?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

60 68.18%
  • No.

11 12.50%
  • No, but I plan to use it now.

17 19.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you use FraudRecord? You should!

We've just started using FraudRecord to screen new sign ups and so far it has been a huge benefit to our new customer screening processes. We've already screened a half dozen customers who paid for their service legitimately but would have almost certainly begun to spam once they were activated. The hours of time saved not dealing with Spamhaus SBLs is already adding up.

I ran our list of customers terminated for terms of service violations through the FraudRecord database and found that we could have screened ~20-30% of them in advance if we had simply checked for them in FraudRecord first.

If you're a web host and you're not using FraudRecord, I strongly recommend that you start today. This tool will only get better as more hosts participate. If you have WHMCS, the FraudRecord plugin makes lookups and fraud checks a piece of cake.

Big thanks to Harzem for putting together this fantastic resource!
    Last edited by BrianHarrison; 12-17-2013 at 04:36 AM.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

It certainly is a helpful tool. I report every single person who spams or does anything fraudulent - why should they get away with it? - that's the stance I take.

I've heard of it but never used it. I will check it out though
    Sapatana.eu ILoveBilling
    120Gbps DDoS Protection on Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, XEN Windows and Linux VPS, Domains, SSL Certificates
    PayPal | BitPay (BitCoin) | UK Bank Transfer | International Bank Transfer

I used to use it, until I moved from WHMCS.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    What billing system have you moved to?
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

It is not like we have an issue with the fraudulent orders and spammers at the moment, but having access to such database sounds good. We'll take a look at that one.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

Never used but i think time to switch.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Caught one credit card fraudster so far not bad.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

Quote Originally Posted by Harzem View Post
    What billing system have you moved to?
    Mike moved to Blesta
    Sapatana.eu ILoveBilling
    120Gbps DDoS Protection on Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, XEN Windows and Linux VPS, Domains, SSL Certificates

Yes, sure is a great tool.

- Alexander
    HostUS - Premium Hosting Made Affordable
    EIGHT Worldwide locations spanning USA, Europe & Asia Pacific
    Own ASN, Own Network, Own IP's - AS7489 & AS25926

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    It certainly is a helpful tool. I report every single person who spams or does anything fraudulent - why should they get away with it? - that's the stance I take.

Glad to hear it--same for us as well. One of your reports actually helped us steer clear of a spammer yesterday
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

We've used FraudRecord for a while. It's been great help to us, and with more companies joining every day it just gets better and better!
    -Jacob
    iWF Hosting - 5 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

Also been using this for quite some time and it's great. It provides a great heads up for potential abuse and activity the customer may have been involved in at other web hosts.

Just signed up and added it to my billing panel to work beside maxmind. Checked all current customers and no flags so far.

15. Using it, great little tool, and its free! This + MaxMind keeps frauds really low
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Just signed up, I am hoping to reduce my fraud
    Unhappy with your current host? Take at look at The Pro Host
    Daily Backups|Guaranteed 99% uptime|Friendly support
    What else do you need?

We just started FraudRecord and are actively contributing as much as we can.
    Nividium
    Affordable, Reliable & High Performance Web Hosting Since 2011
    Google PageSpeed | Softaculous | SSD Drives | 24/7/365 Technical Support | Instant Activation

Has anyone ever determined whether or not this data collection / sharing falls under the myriad of consumer protection statutes in the US?

I know there were some epic threads in the past, but the amount of armchair lawyering made me tune them out. Was there ever any conclusion?
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    Has anyone ever determined whether or not this data collection / sharing falls under the myriad of consumer protection statutes in the US?

I know there were some epic threads in the past, but the amount of armchair lawyering made me tune them out. Was there ever any conclusion?
    All of the customer data points are hashed (i.e., one way encryption -- salted SHA-1 algorithm, iterated 32,000 times) before they are submitted over an SSL connection and stored in the FraudRecord database. I highly doubt there'd be any legal issues with storing that hashed data.

Indeed. A combination of Common Sense + MaxMind + FraudRecord and it's pretty tough to go wrong. I'm no expert when it comes to fraud screening, but "if something looks too good to be true, it probably is" - spammers can spend huge amounts of money from stolen PayPal accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    Glad to hear it--same for us as well. One of your reports actually helped us steer clear of a spammer yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post

There are laws in the UK that ban *similar* practices. Companies' can't collectively create 'blacklists' on individuals that may stop the individual earning a living, especially if the individual is not aware they're on the list or isn't aware of such a list.
    LampNetworks - Affordable Web Hosting
    Hosting locations in United Kingdom & United States
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | Daily & Monthly Backups
    Custom Hosting Plans Available - Select and Pay only for the Quotas YOU need

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    You can still do Manual queries, outside of WHMCS. I know there's no Blesta integration, but by pasting the clients IP/name/email into the website, you can check a report on them
    Eric U.
    HostUpon.ca - Canadian Web Hosting
    Hosting Over 10,000 Websites!

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    There are laws in the UK that ban *similar* practices. Companies' can't collectively create 'blacklists' on individuals that may stop the individual earning a living, especially if the individual is not aware they're on the list or isn't aware of such a list.
    There's things such as Visa and Mastercard's MATCH list which will prevent anyone on it from being approved to accept payments, anywhere. That's worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by EB-Eric View Post
    You can still do Manual queries, outside of WHMCS. I know there's no Blesta integration, but by pasting the clients IP/name/email into the website, you can check a report on them
    Haha I'm lazy mate to search every user, however Blesta are looking into it now, and it's going to be added in the future, they're not sure when.

Interesting. Have bookmarked it for now. Will install later.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    If you're a web host and you're not using FraudRecord, I strongly recommend that you start today. This tool will only get better as more hosts participate. If you have WHMCS, the FraudRecord plugin makes lookups and fraud checks a piece of cake.
    Is there a cost to use it?
    Last edited by Harzem; 01-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Its free, you should read their TOS

Been using it for a year nearly now, love it, works for us!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewsgroups View Post
    Completely free to use.

Glad to see that several new hosts are adopting the system

We signed up a couple days ago. Because of a report we're keeping a close eye on one of our new customers. Also reported a few back into the system. I'm liking it so far.

It's kind of funny to go back and look at the reports on users we didn't accept the order because of fraud that already had reports. There is one company that almost always reported them before we got the order.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Quote Originally Posted by keliix06 View Post
    We signed up a couple days ago.
    Same here.

One of our regular quartely paying clients is on the FraudRecord list.

Is there an option to remove names or should I notify the client of the report for him/her to deal with?

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    One of our regular quartely paying clients is on the FraudRecord list.

Is there an option to remove names or should I notify the client of the report for him/her to deal with?
    You might want to contact the host, as they may have listed the client in error. Or, it is possible that the client did something to the other host that warranted them getting listed.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    You might want to contact the host...
    My client has a right to question the reporting host and FraudRecord IMO so I've sent my client a link to the report for him/her to decide on what to do. I've only done this because the client has a good payment record with us and there is no way (AFAIK) to have the listing updated or removed.

I find at least 60+ fraud users through FraudRecod(FD).

If you are not using a fraudrecord then I will recommended you to use FD, Its a free + opensource.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK

+1 for Fraud Record. Great handy tool to kick out fraud users and report bad ones. It helps to step up little closer to help businesses lose time and money in dealing to fraudsters and bad customers.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

I use FraudRecord now on one in x amount of people or if the name/ paypal address domain ect look suspicious I will look them up.
    Sapatana.eu ILoveBilling

It is good to have in mind about the high-risk ones. We have found some marked 5 times as SPAMing.
    QHoster.com - Web Hosting with DDoS Protection | Shared & Reseller in Europe/North America
    Linux/Windows RDP VPS 13 Locations : UK, US (5 states), Mexico, Canada, Bulgaria, Lithuania,
    Italy, France, Germany,Netherlands, Switzerland, Rissia, Singapore | OpenVPN/PPTP Enabled
    INSTANT | PayPal, Skrill, Payza, Bitcoin, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Ukash, CashU, paysafecard

We have been using this ever since this was posted and have caught a number of fraudsters that passed the MaxMind fraud check - we're happy
    Nividium
    Affordable, Reliable & High Performance Web Hosting Since 2011
    Google PageSpeed | Softaculous | SSD Drives | 24/7/365 Technical Support | Instant Activation

Will definitely check it out and see if it works for us definitely never hurts to have extra fraud and spam prevention steps in place. Curious to see how it works along side MaxMind in WHMCS.
    Dedispec, LLC.
    Dedicated Servers | Cloud Hosting | Colocation
    www.dedispec.com - sales[at]dedispec.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast