Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why you guys don't change the theme of the forums?

It's really annoying is like it showing up that you being online for so long and you have stayed in the century of 1990 , it really drives me when big forum company's like you can't afford to buy a new theme for their style.

I just can't understand people with small website (5 members on) trying the best and you guys who are a huge community database , to don't be able to suit yourself with a prenium..

To tell you the truth the way the community is now by the looks is like those people who post are guests* or something like those spammy forums who let bots posts whetever they want to.

Seriously go buy a theme, i mean noone on this forum would dare to say that and complain about the style of the forum, so that was my suggestion and enjoy christmas.

P.S i won't be able to look into the thread because i ain't active here but i just wanted to give a suggestion away.

Quote Originally Posted by Advertise4you View Post

i mean noone on this forum would dare to say that and complain about the style of the forum, so that was my suggestion and enjoy christmas.
    It has been suggested a few times in the past, but the general consensus is usually to leave it be. Hundreds of thousands of real members can't be wrong can they?

Merry Christmas
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Theme change? Seriously?
    Its one of the most simple and attractive theme in vbulletin community. I disagree with the Statement of OP. No need to change the theme at all.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

A standard vbulletin template is not bad, however, to be honest, I am not a big fan of vbulletin's layout/interface logic. Actually, I believe it is pretty bad, even in comparison to phpbb3 (admin side may be different though).

We run a few popular communities (not related to webhosting though) and we use default themes. Never had any complaints...

Honestly,

I think WHT could use a slightly better theme, new colors and such, keeping the same general layout.

Looks a lot better now than it used to: https://web.archive.org/web/20040211...stingtalk.com/
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

I have to agree with OP on this. WebHostingTalk is the best forum out there for webhosts, and it should standout as an example for other forums. This is not a custom theme, just the default template provided by vBulletin. Not something that you guys should be proud of.

A Change will always bring negative as well as positive reviews. A Change will be helpful for the community members as well as the administration to attract more potential customers. (Dont say we've grown enough already). One must never stop in achieving something. You should always aim to improve things.

Why do Facebook, Google, MSN keep changing their design? Because they are bored? No, they see the scope of growth. They understand that user experience is very important. Especially for a community driven website, it is the most important thing.

I know the administration is not interested in changing this boring theme, but i've just shared my thoughts here.

Peace.
    ElitePixels.net - Web Design / Re-Design Services
    Experts in Web-Hosting Designs
    http://www.twitter.com/elitepixelsnet

Quote Originally Posted by ElitePixels View Post
    I have to agree with OP on this. WebHostingTalk is the best forum out there for webhosts, and it should standout as an example for other forums. This is not a custom theme, just the default template provided by vBulletin. Not something that you guys should be proud of.

A Change will always bring negative as well as positive reviews. A Change will be helpful for the community members as well as the administration to attract more potential customers. (Dont say we've grown enough already). One must never stop in achieving something. You should always aim to improve things.

Why do Facebook, Google, MSN keep changing their design? Because they are bored? No, they see the scope of growth. They understand that user experience is very important. Especially for a community driven website, it is the most important thing.

I know the administration is not interested in changing this boring theme, but i've just shared my thoughts here.

Peace.
    Just change the theme but do not upgrade to crappy VB4 or VB5 please.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Why try to fix something that isn't broke??? People don't come here to look at sliding images and wow effects. We come here for the content.

it really drives me when big forum company's like you can't afford to buy a new theme for their style.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Looks a lot better now than it used to: https://web.archive.org/web/20040211...stingtalk.com/
    WoW! Thanks for bringing me back....way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified View Post
    Why try to fix something that isn't broke??? People don't come here to look at sliding images and wow effects. We come here for the content.

1. You dont always have to change something that is broken. It's called "upgrading". Bettering something which is outdated wouldn't hurt.

2. Content is ofcourse very important. But the way it is displayed, matters a lot. User Experience is the key. Changing the theme doesn't always mean we should use sliding images or crazy effects. It's just improving the old design, adapting to new trends in design. You wouldn't understand this if you were into designing.

This very concept applies to every website on the internet. No one would be interested to read content on a text based website, even if the content is of high quality. (Of course people will read, but they'll eventually wade off the website seeking better websites in terms of design)
    Last edited by ElitePixels; 12-16-2013 at 08:42 AM.
    ElitePixels.net - Web Design / Re-Design Services
    Experts in Web-Hosting Designs
    http://www.twitter.com/elitepixelsnet

Quote Originally Posted by ElitePixels View Post
    1. You dont always have to change something that is broken. It's called "upgrading". Bettering something which is outdated wouldn't hurt.

2. Content is ofcourse very important. But the way it is displayed, matters a lot. User Experience is the key. Changing the theme doesn't always mean we should use sliding images or crazy effects. It's just improving the old design, adapting to new trends in design. You wouldn't understand this if you were into designing.

This very concept applies to every website on the internet. No one would be interested to read content on a text based website, even if the content is of high quality. (Of course people will read, but they'll eventually wade off the website seeking better websites in terms of design)
    All very true, but I don't see that WHT is in need of any improvements. The current design is feasible in terms of accessibility, ease of navigation and readability, and promotes adaptability. Yes, some visual enhancements could be made, but in my opinion, I see no need.

I really enjoyed this theme back in the day: https://web.archive.org/web/20020326...stingtalk.com/

Looks a bit dated now, but the ads were so elegantly done then.

Yeah. I hope in near future WHT will change theme to responsive awesome looking theme!

I like it as it is. It's WHT-ish - suites the community well. It's clean and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Hundreds of thousands of real members can't be wrong can they?
    as opposed to us fake members?

Indeed it does. I remember that theme

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    I like it as it is. It's WHT-ish - suites the community well. It's clean and simple.
    Exactly

Honestly, there's no need to change it. It's been modified a few times to add things (likes, etc), but it works extremely well, is very easy to follow, and yeah, there's zero reason to change it.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    This, it would be a nice change depending on how it went, however this is WHT and it keeps it WHT .
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to beÖ power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    as opposed to us fake members?...
    I think she was talking to the OP and the content of his first post.

But then, I think meeces wouldn't call somebody out like that.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I go to Google for the high quality content and they even change their theme on occasion.

During these holidays now it would be good to see a bit of a change on WHT. A Thanksgiving theme or an Easter theme during those occasions. I think it would be cool.

Maybe the server wouldnít be able to handle the extra graphics and the site would come to a crawl.

I guess Iíll always have my dancing banana.

We did get our holly logo up today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullified View Post

Agree, hasn't changed much since 2005 when I joined and not at all since ~2007, but I like it that way. Just like Google, WHT has only made minor changes over many years. People use WHT, and Google for that matter, for the valuable content, not the flashiness.

I appreciate the new features over a new theme. Some things that I enjoy a lot are the 'My Posts' and notifications on quotes, I used to subscribe to every topic automatically my first year or so until I found myself getting way too many emails. Now I only subscribe to important content but still get notified when someone directs the convo at me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    We did get our holly logo up today.
    But we want mistletoe.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    I think she was talking to the OP and the content of his first post.
    I think he knew that
    Quote Originally Posted by F-DNS View Post
    But we want mistletoe.
    Careful, there's girls around too ya know!
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Careful, there's girls around too ya know!
    I rest my case.... but still about da ladies.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

I've been here since late 2002... I don't see the point in changing the theme. Last thing I want is annoying colors or something to bother me on a site that I visit so many times per day.
    Wow, 10 years on WHT

Quote Originally Posted by MyEvolutionHost View Post
    Your profile says;

Appearances can be deceiving.

Keep the theme. Or maybe use on of the classic ones.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

People also provide false or misleading information also.. I doubt the database on wht is incorrect. Unless you have a second account..
    Doubtful he would admit this, even considering the obvious insinuation.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

give us a JSON API, then everyone would be able to render it exactly the way they want....you know just saying !
    Last edited by H0$T; 12-19-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: grammer, i sorry no english good
    OaaS - Optimization as a Service
    Your application, Your infrastructure, Our expertise.

i mean noone on this forum would dare to say that and complain about the style of the forum, so that was my suggestion and enjoy christmas.
    I think you underestimate our members. Many of them will speak out if there's something they don't like, and often they do.

I'm curious. You've been a member for more than two years and this is your first post. Would an updated theme encourage you to visit and post more?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    I think you underestimate our members. Many of them will speak out if there's something they don't like, and often they do.

I'm curious. You've been a member for more than two years and this is your first post. Would an updated theme encourage you to visit and post more?
    Even if it would, you must consider your target audience. If WHT is seeking to acquire new members that prioritize visual representations over-top valuable information then perhaps WHT should look into providing such theme updates. Contrarily, if WHT wishes to keep their target audience the same a professional setting with constant flow of information should suffice. Feedback, if however an integral part of customer relations and business development.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

People also provide false or misleading information also.. I doubt the database on wht is incorrect. Unless you have a second account..
    And sometimes people join, have an issue with their account, and need to start fresher one. It's unusual and rare. But it can happen.

The theme is good, but they should give more choices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Advertise4you
    It's really annoying is like it showing up that you being online for so long and you have stayed in the century of 1990 , it really drives me when big forum company's like you can't afford to buy a new theme for their style.
    Whats wrong with that buddy??

Its better than becoming BLOATED AND UGLY like most things nowadays!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Exactly the same....but ORANGE!!!!!

I personally like it the way it is. Easy to read and navigate your way around.

To many forums spend to much time on their themes, only to make the site "pretty" but harder to find your way around.
    cPanel, CloudLinux, Softaculous ℵ Off Site Backups, Redundant DNS

I like this theme very much no need to change it.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

I would not mind if we kept the same overall theme design but had a color choice. Some may like the native blue, others may want Green.

However, the layout of this theme is very nice. I would not trade the layout at all.

I like the theme here, it's basic, but readable, but yea, don't "up"grade to VB4 or 5, please. lol

If anything, change to another software like Xenforo or Burning board 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast