I have some hosting questions to be answered!!

I was wondering, can a dedicated server with 16gb of ram running a php site handle lets say 50-100,000 users per day?

The users would not download any content, simply view.

Average ram use would be 30-60mb.

Also, many hosting providers do not allow more than 1TB of space.

Im estimating my website would max at 5TB of data... is there some sort of cloud storage that the images would load from?

What is nginx? what is cloudflare and how can I implent it?

Most importantly, what is Amazon's Route 53? Does it help with the problem of handling 100K visitors?

Im not a tech person so I'd appreciate a simple explanation of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by daveslaine View Post
    I was wondering, can a dedicated server with 16gb of ram running a php site handle lets say 50-100,000 users per day?
    16GB memory and what other hardware specifications? What script would this PHP site be running?
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

Lightbulb

@daveslaine

First of all, Make sure you have adequate amount of bandwidth provided by the hosting company. For 100,000, you probably would need an unmetered connection to save from huge bills or downtimes.

Secondly, Make sure you hire any technician to install Nginx (If you want, since its used mostly for high traffic sites) and harden the server.

Thirdly, There are providers who can give you more hard disk, Load your data uniformly to all hard disk or use multiple servers and point the files using sub domains.

Fourthly, You can always use CloudFlare to speed up your site. It will reduce the load of your server.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianHarrison View Post
    16GB memory and what other hardware specifications? What script would this PHP site be running?
    The top one at hostGator for example.

I am more interested in knowing how one could use Amazon cloudfront and Route 53 to deliver the website at its peak 100% of the time.

I don't even know what the above are and how they work. But I believe we will at least need route 53 even though I have no clue what it really is and would love an explanation.

I don't even know what the above are and how they work. But I believe we will at least need route 53 even though I have no clue what it really is and would love an explanation.
    Route 53 is Amazon's cloud DNS. I'm not sure if it makes that much difference for the site, but at least it seems to be a robust name service. There are some Amazon-specific features that are linked to their other services, but I'm not using any of those myself.
    http://aws.amazon.com/route53/

That sounds good to me. You'll want a 1 Gbps uplink, a decent processor, and unmetered (or very high) bandwidth to go with that.

The users would not download any content, simply view.
    Good, you'll save on bandwidth

Average ram use would be 30-60mb.
    Per user? That seems awfully high

Also, many hosting providers do not allow more than 1TB of space.
    I would assume you get what's advertised, unless you're referring to the "unlimited" overselling hosts

Im estimating my website would max at 5TB of data... is there some sort of cloud storage that the images would load from?
    Going to assume you're referring to storage and not bandwidth. If you want to offload this static content, Amazon Web Services runs a CDN called Cloudfront (not to be confused with Cloudflare), which is a pay-as-you-go CDN that only charges you for the data transfer you use. Alternatively you could use their pure S3 service without the CDN, which is still relatively decent file hosting - and much cheaper than Cloudfront.

What is nginx?
    In simple terms, Nginx is the software you run on the server to run your website. It's a more lightweight (and in my opinion efficient) alternative to Apache.

what is cloudflare and how can I implent it?
    Cloudflare is a web accelerator and CDN, among other things. They'll cache static content on your site on their anycasted/speedy servers so visitors to your website can load your page's contents faster (think CSS and HTML files, not so much pictures) with a lessened load to your server. I'd highly recommend it!

Most importantly, what is Amazon's Route 53? Does it help with the problem of handling 100K visitors?
    Route 53 is a DNS load balancer, meaning it can balance the traffic load your website is getting amongst multiple servers. If you don't have/don't want to bother with multiple servers, Route 53 will be little help. Can also be a bit tricky & complicated to set up.

Im not a tech person so I'd appreciate a simple explanation of these things.
    I hope I helped, let me know if you need any more clarification

Quote Originally Posted by liamcyrus View Post
    helpful stuff
    Thanks.

I already have cloudflare installed.

I'm still not getting what route 53 is.. Would it be able to handle millions of simultaneous users if my server could not, or is that specifically only a server issue?

As for cloud flare CDN, wouldn't this do what I just wrote above?

And I wanted to mention, we host photos which would be located on our servers which would be displayed on the Web page. So could amazon's s3 store the photos and allow us to display the photos live from S3? And our Web page style would be static, but it would constantly be user generated with new photos and data..

Thanks.

I already have cloudflare installed.

I'm still not getting what route 53 is.. Would it be able to handle millions of simultaneous users if my server could not, or is that specifically only a server issue?

As for cloud flare CDN, wouldn't this do what I just wrote above?

And I wanted to mention, we host photos which would be located on our servers which would be displayed on the Web page. So could amazon's s3 store the photos and allow us to display the photos live from S3? And our Web page style would be static, but it would constantly be user generated with new photos and data..
    Route 53 just tells your visitor's web browser which server to go to when they visit your website. It doesn't actually host or run any of your files, it allows you to distribute your users across multiple servers.

Cloudflare works better for caching your actual website, not your pictures. In theory you could use it to cache your pictures, but that would be nowhere as resourceful as just using a CDN. Cloudflare will certainly cut down the load of millions of simultaneous users, but no amount of Cloudflare or web accelerators will be able to make up for a bad server and no/slow CDN. Your best bet is to layer your infrastructure: Use a decent dedicated server to run your website, use Cloudflare to cache it, and use a CDN (S3/Cloudfront preferably) to host your pictures/media.

And yes, you can use S3 the same way you would use a CDN or any other file upload service.

Quote Originally Posted by liamcyrus View Post
    Route 53 just tells your visitor's web browser which server to go to when they visit your website. It doesn't actually host or run any of your files, it allows you to distribute your users across multiple servers.

Cloudflare works better for caching your actual website, not your pictures. In theory you could use it to cache your pictures, but that would be nowhere as resourceful as just using a CDN. Cloudflare will certainly cut down the load of millions of simultaneous users, but no amount of Cloudflare or web accelerators will be able to make up for a bad server and no/slow CDN. Your best bet is to layer your infrastructure: Use a decent dedicated server to run your website, use Cloudflare to cache it, and use a CDN (S3/Cloudfront preferably) to host your pictures/media.

And yes, you can use S3 the same way you would use a CDN or any other file upload service.

Ok. So the pages on my website include a list of written text and photos beside it.

Eventually, with the user-generated content constantly being added, we would run out of space.

So the solution is, to have the images actually load from another location and display on site(not to download but actually show).

They would upload the photo, but the photo would be uploaded elsewhere, say Amazon S3.

Which service does this? S3 or Cloudfront?

how does it work(how would I implent it?)

and could it work with Cloudflare too?

note: although the page remains static in terms of how it looks like, its content are dynamically updated continuously. so its dynamic not static
    Last edited by daveslaine; 12-17-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Which service does this? S3 or Cloudfront?

how does it work(how would I implent it?)
    S3 is a storage engine so you can upload the photos there. I guess Cloudfront might work too.

Implementation depends on your CMS. For example, there are WordPress plugins that can upload files to cloud file services such as S3. Or you can do it using your code and their API.

If you want to know the details, please see Amazon's documentation or google for example code. Most likely you'd need a seasoned programmer to get this stuff done.
    http://aws.amazon.com/documentation/s3/
    http://aws.amazon.com/documentation/cloudfront/