Problem with file names/offline browsing of a site

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with a password protected forum I downloaded. Nothing illegal going on here, I've been a member of it for a while but it will close down in the next few weeks and I'd like to retain a copy on my HDD for offline browsing.

Anyway, the problem I have is that the downloaded pages all look like bare-bones html pages, as if the css files were missing. However, I checked and they are definitely there but they look like cached versions of the original.

The problem seems to be the filename: it is extremely long, in fact so long that trying to open it with an editor gives an error (filename too long).

However, if I made the name shorter, then I'd have to go into thousands of downloaded html files and adjust the css name accordingly, which is just impossible to do manually.

I'd either have to be able to download the original css file or I'd have to find a solution to batch-rename the css file within hundreds of html files.

Does anybody have an idea of how to solve this?

Would really appreciate your help!

You can do a recursive find/replace

find /path/to/files -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/old_string/new_string/g'

Quote Originally Posted by borg77 View Post
    You can do a recursive find/replace

find /path/to/files -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/old_string/new_string/g'
    Thanks for the reply but I have to admit I'm a newb at this stuff...where would I have to enter that?

I have tons of html files that are spread across hundreds of folders - how could I batch-rename all of them with the name of the new css file?