ASmallOrange.com Review : STAY AWAY!

I rarely waste my time to complain about a hosting provider most of the time I move on, but this time it is different we have our client who gave us a call and said that he had enough and he is planning to move to another service provider : the reason is his websites hosted with ASmallOrange go down daily
    The IT Team do not want to recognize they have an issue, they keep saying it is our monitor which is failing. is it failing daily and sometimes twice a day ?! Ridiculous.
    I just checked one of the sites and here is the error message showing :

CDbException

CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I am going to see how the IT Team are going to sort this issue one for all and will be back to update this Thread

Seems like mysql service issue with webhost .Did you contact your webhost with above problem ? I'm curious to know their responses on this .
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

There seems to be a trend of poor reviews with some of the larger hosts'

Quote Originally Posted by rkais View Post
    I rarely waste my time to complain about a hosting provider most of the time I move on, but this time it is different we have our client who gave us a call and said that he had enough and he is planning to move to another service provider : the reason is his websites hosted with ASmallOrange go down daily
    The IT Team do not want to recognize they have an issue, they keep saying it is our monitor which is failing. is it failing daily and sometimes twice a day ?! Ridiculous.
    I just checked one of the sites and here is the error message showing :

CDbException

CDbConnection failed to open the DB connection: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I am going to see how the IT Team are going to sort this issue one for all and will be back to update this Thread
    Give them the error and let us know what they say, as that is surely an issue on their end. I know uptime monitors can sometimes be crappy especially, if your on a DDOS protected network the monitor IP's might get blocked at times.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerTim View Post
    There seems to be a trend of poor reviews with some of the larger hosts'
    Yeah, it's because they grow so big so clients don't really matter any more.. its like if one leaves 10 more will come. That's why I like sticking with the small guys they can also be unreliable.. but at least you know they need you to survive.
    TrentaHost INC. | 5 Years Operating | DDOS Protected Network | Multiple Locations | 24/7 Support
    DDOS Protected Web/Reseller/Master - DEDICATED IP | WHMCS | CloudFlare | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux
    DDOS Protected KVM Windows & Linux VPS | 7 Locations | 20GBPS DDOS Protection Windows & Linux VPS
    DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers | 20GBPS DDOS Protection | Control Panel | Price Match Guarantee*

Are you posting this review on behalf of your client who has hosting with ASO? Is the error showing up in your monitoring tool or the site hosted with ASO?

It can't be the monitor coz when we check manually on downtime notifications we find the site down or with a db error.
    We are hosting the sites for one of our clients who gets frustrated and called us today (Sunday) asking to find a permanent solution by moving his sites or canceling our service contract.
    I am waiting for a reply from ASmallOrgange and we will decide accordingly

ASmallOrange was recently (~March of this year) acquired by EIG, so you would expect to see them go south by now. Just look at what happened to HostGator.

Not sure what kind of support ASmallOrange had before being acquired by EIG, but if it's anything like what has been happening with HostGator this does not surprise me at all.

Id just cut your losses and move on honestly to a non-EIG owned host.

ASO is just another casualty of the Hostgator buyout.
    ASO was one of Brent Oxley's other hosts. It along with Hostgator was sold.
    EIG owns it now.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Kpmedia is on target as usual. I just transferred a client away from ASO. Their relatively light WordPress site was on a server so overloaded it was taking 23 seconds to load the cached home page. That is just disgusting.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

I had the most horrible experience with ASO last summer. Previously, I had been with them for years and was very happy with having a tiny website hosted on a shared plan. The service was great for the small stuff.

Last summer, one of my sites started exploding in popularity and they suggested moving me to a new plan. They clearly knew the site was getting huge traffic (100K uniques a day) and suggested I go to a VPS plan, which was the stupidest recommendation in the world.

I didn't know anything about handling this kind of traffic, so I agreed. Of course, the VPS was crashing constantly, and a week or two later, they had to move me yet again to a dedicated server.

The site was under constant DDoS attacks because the site was just too popular, and this top of the line server would hang constantly. A Small Orange told me this is just the result of traffic and that I should install nginx. It only went downhill from there. nginx was also crashing under the DDoS attacks, and ASO never bothered to look at the stats and realize that the reason for the constant hanging is not the traffic but the DDoS attacks. Had I known anything about large traffic, I would have known of course that 100K per day is not a big deal for an expensive dedicated server and a site with very light content. They did not diagnose the DDoS until September, when I was already stressed out after many weeks of not sleeping at night and monitoring nginx and the server.

The fact that they had no phone support made things a lot worse, because I had to agonize waiting for email support responses while my site was dead. I eventually moved to WiredTree and have been pretty content since then. I did shut down that site because it was just too stressful, but I did manage to monetize the traffic so it turned out OK. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitronictech View Post
    Kpmedia is on target as usual. I just transferred a client away from ASO. Their relatively light WordPress site was on a server so overloaded it was taking 23 seconds to load the cached home page. That is just disgusting.
    A new client that I just moved from HostGator was having the same issue with their WordPress site. According to the cPanel server status the CPU was in the red at 14.0+ and stayed around that number, disk space was almost full and cPanel was running 11.36. It's a shame what's going on, as HostGator was a decent company back in the day before the EIG transition.

There goes another good web host, down the drain.
    That's too bad.
    On the other hand it opens the door for smaller entrepreneurs and web hosting providers to rise and shine.

HI

Last week I was helping one of our new staff members migrate a reseller from ASO to us, and MySQL was down for him too then so we couldn't connect to the DB. However an hour later it worked. Seems EIG must really overload servers or just not monitor them very well
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    There goes another good web host, down the drain.
    That's too bad.
    On the other hand it opens the door for smaller entrepreneurs and web hosting providers to rise and shine.
    Agreed but unlike some of the other EIG acquisitions, ASO was a host known for quality hosting and good support. I feel for the ASO customers who had done their research, signed with a good host and then got swept up by the EIG mop and got dumped in the [email protected] bucket.
    LampNetworks - Affordable Web Hosting
    Hosting locations in United Kingdom & United States
    cPanel+Softaculous | 99.9% Uptime SLA | Daily & Monthly Backups
    Custom Hosting Plans Available - Select and Pay only for the Quotas YOU need

I was an ASO customer for 3 years.....from 2005-8 when Tim ran it.

Sad to see them deteriorate like this!

Quote Originally Posted by XTremo View Post
    I was an ASO customer for 3 years.....from 2005-8 when Tim ran it.

Sad to see them deteriorate like this!
    Are you out of the industry now or am I confusing your name with somebody else?

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    signed with a good host and then got swept up by the EIG mop and got dumped in the [email protected] bucket.
    I guess that's one way of putting it
    Cyber Host Pro Ltd - over 10 years in the UK hosting industry.
    Website Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Cloud VPS Servers | Dedicated Servers
    ★ WhiteLabel OnAPP Cloud VPS Reseller Program, Failover, 10Gbit SFP+ Dual SAN storage with Cpanel, Plesk & Windows server.
    www.cyberhostpro.com - UK Call Centre + 24x7 Online Chat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Are you out of the industry now or am I confusing your name with somebody else?
    Nothing has changed for me Mike......but I never really was in the industry in the strictest sense.

We've only ever provided Hosting to our web design clients.....never taken sites from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    Agreed but unlike some of the other EIG acquisitions, ASO was a host known for quality hosting and good support. I feel for the ASO customers who had done their research, signed with a good host and then got swept up by the EIG mop and got dumped in the [email protected] bucket.
    ASO was all about quality over quantity to start with. I had a few accounts there and none of the servers appeared to have more than 300 - 400 domains hosted on them, now a domain mentioned in another complaint thread was on a server that appears to be hosting 4,500 + domains.

The one thing you can say about EIG is that they stick to their formula.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial