www.-.kg Extremely rare domain hosting problem

I have a very unique and interesting question for someone who is familiar with the details of hosting CCtld domains and BIND.

So i have the domain name www.-.kg
    It is one of only a few like it in the world. VERY rare. What i would like to do is set up hosting and email on this domain name. as well as email on the domain Example; "-@-.kg"

it has been set up and was resolving and email working on most browsers a few years back but the previous owner stopped hosting it.

Apparently some servers view a dash ad the beginning of a line of code or think its an invalid domain.
    I have hosting with Dreamhost for my other domains and they said that they cannot enter it into their server system because domains are not allowed to begin with a dash "-"
    Several other hosts have said kinda the same thing. Anyone here work at a host where they might be able to manually add this domain into the hosting server? Or maybe have their own hosting?

It is a real (somewhat grey area) domain name and i can edit the name servers in the registrar.

I know this is probably the weirdest domain you guys have ever seen and if someone out there could suggest ways in getting this working it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

<<snipped>>
    Last edited by Postbox; 12-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.

You would need some kind of control panel hacking technique to achieve this. Don't really think a shared server will allow you to make this, better get low end VPS and get the control panel vendor involved.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincheri View Post
    You would need some kind of control panel hacking technique to achieve this. Don't really think a shared server will allow you to make this, better get low end VPS and get the control panel vendor involved.
    A VPS with direct access to the web server config file is the easiest option. That certainly is an unusual domain.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

The problem you've got is RFC 3696. Many web applications will have been written on the assumption that they will only handle FQDNs that meet specifications like this. I imagine that this is why common tools, like cPanel, prohibit domains starting with a hyphen - it prevents unanticipated problems later

From RFC 3696:

The LDH rule, as updated, provides that the labels (words or strings separated by periods) that make up a domain name must consist of only the ASCII [ASCII] alphabetic and numeric characters, plus the hyphen. No other symbols or punctuation characters are permitted, nor is blank space. If the hyphen is used, it is not permitted to appear at either the beginning or end of a label.
    As suggested, you'd be best off getting a VPS, so that you have full control of all the software in the stack. You can then make sure that each webserver, DNS server, mail server (and so on) will work with your domain name without falling over.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

If you got this domain it is definitely being managed in system of someone.. some domain registrar etc...How their systems defy the RFC?

How on earth are you able to get hold of it?
    Qtriangle - Website development and web hosting solutions
    The very best of PHP/MySQL development services

It is being managed by the registrar Domain.kg and as you might imagine Kyrgystan and the registrar and not exactly the most tech savvy in the world. Its certainly possible that its merely an error in the domain registration system but it has resolved in the past and I'm sure it will never work on all browsers and systems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OakHosting_James View Post
    The problem you've got is RFC 3696. Many web applications will have been written on the assumption that they will only handle FQDNs that meet specifications like this. I imagine that this is why common tools, like cPanel, prohibit domains starting with a hyphen - it prevents unanticipated problems later

From RFC 3696:

As suggested, you'd be best off getting a VPS, so that you have full control of all the software in the stack. You can then make sure that each webserver, DNS server, mail server (and so on) will work with your domain name without falling over.

Thanks OakHosting… will look into that. I have worked with domains and hosting for 15 years now but this is far beyond my level of expertise.. if its even possible.