Sendmail quit receiving emails after server reboot?
so after hours of setting Sendmail up I got to work the way I wanted it to work. But after a server reboot it stopped receiving emails from external addresses.
I re-installed Sendmail and used the same settings as before but it still refusing to receive emails.
in maillog I get the following messages:
What I tried so far aside of re-installing Sendmail:
-Refreshing all DNS records (by deleting them and applying them again)
-Closing port 25 and opening it again
-Rebooting the server
-Sending emails from another server, gmail, yahoo, hotmail
And the problem is still here.
Any ideas on what can be done?
It appears like it's some DNS problem.
telnet smtp.mydomain.com 25
telnet: connect to address X2.X2.X2.X2: Connection refused
The weird thing is I've never seen this IP before "X2.X2.X2.X2". It's different from my server's IP and I'm sure I have only 1 IP. And there's no records of it in my DNS records.
What could cause this?
I don't get how telnet to domain 25 port can give you unknown IP, have you changed DNS records recently, to me it sounds like wrong mx record or you have big TTL value for mx and you need to wait for dns to propagate.
@Natcoweb-Peter yes I do @5n1p Idk either, that's why i opened the thread lol
All I did was a system reboot and then the problem started. I've tracked the unknown IP which came from another hosting website.
I'm not sure if the this DNS mess is from my side or from there's and I have no idea how to fix it...
@5n1p to be honest I don't have the patience to wait a day for an "answer" everytime I submit a ticket. However, they said all ports are opened on their end. I have a month now until the Google apps free trial ends, until then I think I'll find an answer and update this thread.
Apparently I couldn't wait a month 'coz the problem was bugging me even in my sleep!
For future visitors, the problem was solely a DNS problem, and it's now solved! Don't touch your default firewall settings or other Sendmail settings (other than accepting external emails ).
What you need to do is, delete my DNS records, wait couple hours, and update them again.
PS make sure you don't have any CDNAME records that inflict with other records.