Oplink doesn't know how to forward ports?

Spending $90 a month with oplink.net for a dedicated box. Put a ticket in requested that they forward 3 ports for me so that I can host a game and voice server.

First response is

We do not block any ports. I thought you wanted to forward to another IP address.
    Um.. ok.. I check the port with the game server running and it's closed..

So I try again and get..

Ryan or Nic will work on this this evening.
    Hmm ok so maybe I got a accounts guy who doesnt know hardware.. now I get a message from ryan and nic..

I believe you're requesting a firewall service to be emplaced in front of your server with port forwarding enabled for the services you list. Our uplink router is not available for this. We don't provide a firewall as part of your dedicated service. You need to purchase a small router, perhaps a juniper router or a Cisco RV082,

Your server is not port blocked at all. All those ports are available for the services you list.
    What? Why would me buying a router effect you forwarding my ports on my server that I'm paying you for.

So I'm starting to feel a little fishy about this provider. Anyone have experience with them and dedicated boxes? Or am I completely confused and they're in the right somehow?
      0 Not allowed!

And I was just told I need to pay $15 a month more to have my server put behind a linksys router as that would somehow fix my issue..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by shibdib View Post
    Um.. ok.. I check the port with the game server running and it's closed..
    Sounds like something is wrong on the server, not the network... especially if Oplink is saying they do not filter ports.

My advice would be to hire an admin who can help you figure this out.
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.
      0 Not allowed!

Hire a sysadmin, this is not your providers fault.
      0 Not allowed!

Dedicated servers usually come with public IPs and no hardware firewalls, etc., thus no need to "forward" ports - that's probably why they were confused about your request. As Patrick mentioned, you'll probably want to have a management company or a sysadmin-for-hire take a look at your server for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Unfortunately I'll also be recommending the same advice, look into a sysadmin. As nice as it may be to handle the server and manage it yourself, if things like this come up and you can't figure it out you probably should hire one, at least on an "as-need-basis". I think Patrick got it correct.
      0 Not allowed!

It was resolved, snafu in communication. DISREGARD
      0 Not allowed!

We do not block ports. We offer unfiltered public IPs to all dedicated and colo clients.

We do not offer a filtering service or a port forwarding service.

As suggested to you in your support ticket, try to disable your windows firewall on your server. If you need advanced help we also agree with some of the members here to hire a sysadmin. All our servers are unmanaged. However we do go above our call of duty and help you if we can with your server or its services/software.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by oplink View Post
    We do not block ports. We offer unfiltered public IPs to all dedicated and colo clients.

We do not offer a filtering service or a port forwarding service.

As suggested to you in your support ticket, try to disable your windows firewall on your server. If you need advanced help we also agree with some of the members here to hire a sysadmin. All our servers are unmanaged. However we do go above our call of duty and help you if we can with your server or its services/software.
    I've resolved the issue with one of your techs and have asked to have this thread removed. Oplink definitely proved their worth and I recommend them after this.
      0 Not allowed!