Thread: name servers

name servers

Hi,

I have an old cpanel server that i would like to add to our dns cluster servers, but it as name servers that we created years ago.

Just wanted to see if anyone knew if i change one ip at a time on them to match the name servers used in our cluster, then 24 hours after updated the other one if it would cause any downtime or not ?

Or the best way to do this would be great.
    Stop, Think and then React. Not React, Stop and then Think

If it's from years ago, I'd wipe and restore it first. I imagine you'd have DNS resolution issues if you waited that long. I'd just do them both at once on the registrar side, after the cluster trust relationships are established and you've synced all the zones accordingly.

Edit: I suppose you could just blow away the existing zones in /var/named (zones only though) but on the security aspect I would really consider reloading the OS especially if it was being used as a web server as well.
    Last edited by Technolojesus; 12-13-2013 at 11:50 PM.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

Just on the DNS issue, provided the cluster contains a full, consistent set of working records for the domains concerned you should be able to simply switch over both / all nameservers at once. During the propagation period (48 hours if your nameservers are .com / .net) users may be hitting either set of nameservers but if they're all returning the same results that doesn't matter - you should have zero downtime.

I wouldn't change one at a time - that just makes for greater confusion if the new clustered nameservers aren't set up correctly.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Just on the DNS issue, provided the cluster contains a full, consistent set of working records for the domains concerned you should be able to simply switch over both / all nameservers at once. During the propagation period (48 hours if your nameservers are .com / .net) users may be hitting either set of nameservers but if they're all returning the same results that doesn't matter - you should have zero downtime.

I wouldn't change one at a time - that just makes for greater confusion if the new clustered nameservers aren't set up correctly.
    The name servers are .com but not sure if changing both at once would work, really don't want any downtime.

The name servers i need to change the ips on are ns3 ns4 and my dns servers run ns1 ns2

It won't possibly cause any downtime if there are other nameservers that point to the server correctly

I asked cPanel they said changing the ips on my old name server to match the new ones wont work.