Migrating RAID 1 array to RAID 10

I have a RAID 1 array that I would like to migrate to RAID 10 after adding an additional 2 drives.
    I am currently using an Adaptec 2405 RAID card, but I would first upgrade to a Adaptec 6405e card, and then add the drives and migrate the array.
    The server is running ESXi, and I have the drivers installed on ESXi, and I am able to use (at least some parts of) the arcconf utility from the ESXi shell itself.
    Is it possible to migrate a RAID 1 array to RAID 10 with the 6405e card?
    And if I have the option of moving all my VMs and files off to a backup machine, and destroying the current RAID 1 array, and then recreating the array with RAID 10 with the additional drives, is that any better than migrating the array from RAID 1 to RAID 10?
    It would be easier to just migrate the array instead of destroying and recreating it, but if it will make a big difference in how the array works, or it's a lot better to destroy the current array and recreate a new RAID 10 array, I'd like to know, and possibly go with that approach.
    And if the migration approach would work just as well, can someone point me in the right direction with what I would need to do the migration, and how I would go about it?
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    And if I have the option of moving all my VMs and files off to a backup machine, and destroying the current RAID 1 array, and then recreating the array with RAID 10 with the additional drives, is that any better than migrating the array from RAID 1 to RAID 10?
    Unless you're using a SAN that has the capability to live migrate RAID arrays (such as the Hitachi AMS series and I believe HP does this), you're going to need to move the data off, re-provision the array, and move it back. It takes a little time but it is the best practice.
    BestSSDHost.com - Ditch your slow host and choose the best!

Web Hosting: Super fast web hosting. Your choice: San Francisco, CA or Atlanta, GA
    SSD VPS (KVM): Instant KVM VPS from Buffalo, NY