Hybrid View

Can I run a webserver from a NAS?

My question is hypothetical, I don't really plan that. Recently I bought a small Synology DS212j NAS for home use. At home I am not on a dynamic IP.

I managed to make web access to the NAS and now can access my home NAS from the Office via a free DDNS service. Works flawless!

I saw the Synology NAS has also a 'Webserver' function. Means I could run a webserver from home (I got a 100M line). Sounds too good to be true and I wonder what would be the disadvantages?

It depends what type of website you're planning to host. If it's just some static files, then it should work. However, I think you'll find that the webserver built into the NAS doesn't support a lot of the functionality required for dynamic websites (eg PHP, MySQL/PDO libraries etc). Even if you got lucky and found the NAS does support that, you'd still have to have somewhere to host a MySQL server itself and I doubt the NAS would do that.

Short answer - static websites = yes, dynamic websites = probably not.

mmhm, the DS212j comes with Apache, PHP and supports MySQL... Since it is conneted all the time anyway I should give it a try with some not important domains.

I doubt it's high performance, but so is my VPS too

No.
    /10char
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I would definitely agree with kp on this one.

You have a single core arm processor and very little ram to work with ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S.../DS212j/2.html ). Static might be okay, but running something dynamic would be difficult.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Makes sense whenm I think about it now. For the cost of a NAS I could do also a small linux box (on obsolete hardware) with CentOS (or whatever) and have a fully expandle server where I can upgrade the hardware every time a need it.

Plus, my NAS is a filestore, I like to keep that data safe.