$$$ Very Bad Experience With HostGator!! Asking for Extra Money without any Reason!!

Had seen nice reviews about Host Gator so decided to take the plunge. Everything went smoothly in the buying phase. got the baby plan for 3 Yrs for around $70. cheap, agreed. but that's when the trouble started. i was asked for the credit card scan and an ID Proof. i recd. a reply saying ID could not be accepted so i sent another Govt. issued ID. they have cancelled my account and it says there's some problem with my account so i cannot login! after a day or two i receive a mail saying i need to pay through bank wire and a minimum of $100!! Over all it will be non-refundable! so i ll be stuck with nothing under my control! tried to raise a few more tickets and a few live chats, i get nothing but "we regret the inconvenience caused but you have to do as we say!" wtf? i am very frustrated and want a refund or atleast activate my account!!!
    why should i pay again when i have already paid the said amount through credit card??

see ticket transcript below - ticket id -

Ticket: OKI-26659533
    Hello Rakesh,

Thank you for your order with HostGator.com!

In order for us to setup your account, we will require you make payment with bank wire. Due to recent trends, we must require this form of payment. The web hosting industry, unfortunately, has a high rate of fraudulent orders, and this sort of requirement helps us drastically reduce fraud and help ensure our customers and servers remain secure.

The details for completing payment are as follows:

If you wish to make payment with a bank wire, you'll have to pay for one year and the minimum payment is $100. Please find our bank details below:

HostGator.com LLC
    5005 Mitchelldale
    Suite #100
    Houston, TX 77092
    United States of America

Bank Name: Bank of America
    Bank Account Number: 488038394533
    Routing Number (Domestic): 026009593
    Swift Code (International): BOFAUS3N

Bank Address:
    Bank of America
    700 Louisiana, 8th Floor
    Houston, TX 77002

After you have sent it, please provide us with these details:

Date payment sent:
    Originating bank account payment sent from:
    Name of the account that payment was sent from:
    Domain name:

In the wire transfer payment notes, please put your domain name for your account so we can find and apply your transaction easier and more accurately.

Please keep in mind, it may take a few days for the payment to clear, and we'll apply the payment as soon as possible.

We're sorry for any inconvenience, but this is needed to to protect ourselves as well as our customers. Please keep in mind that bank wire payments are non-refundable and if they need to be refunded, the payment would be applied as credit to the hosting account. Credits can be used to pay for any HostGator product, service, or invoice.

Thanks for your cooperation! We look forward to working with you after we can get your account activated.
    Sincerely,

Ray N
    Verifications Department
    HostGator.com LLC
    support.hostgator.com

I can't see the 'worst' in your problem. Worst would be if you keep charging your card and not giving any web service. They did not process your card because they couldn't. So far you didn't lose any money.

If you have to pay by wire transfer (~$30 I guess) it's too much trouble. Just find a host that takes Paypal....

FYI - I Have been charged already.

@flameproof FYI - I Have been charged already with my Credit card - "Transaction of Rs.4,652.95 (approx $76) made on SBI Credit Card XX1968 at HOSTGATOR.COM on 29 Nov 13" I am not a fool to post such a thread if i hadn't put my money in it.

Quote Originally Posted by som dadhich View Post
    @flameproof FYI - I Have been charged already with my Credit card - "Transaction of Rs.4,652.95 (approx $76) made on SBI Credit Card XX1968 at HOSTGATOR.COM on 29 Nov 13" I am not a fool to post such a thread if i hadn't put my money in it.
    It sounds like a misunderstanding on their part then.

Technology companies are good in technology, not in human interaction. Anybody that tried to contact eBay, Paypal, Google etc. knows what I mean.

I can only wish you good luck at this point!

Not a fault. they had confirmed the payment and i had recd. the welcome mail

Not a fault. they had confirmed the payment and i had recd. the welcome mail. but then after verification, they started asking me all that and then the mail drops. waiting for a reply from someone from HG!

Umm, I don't believe that there is a HG rep on this forum.
    You can just let them to refund your payment via CC or do a chargeback, and find a host on this forum.

I would ask them either to refund - or to host. I can not believe that they simply keep your money. Something went wrong there. Tricky part is to get somebody to listen to your problem. They ususally come with ready made answers to problems that are not relevant to your question.

When I got high risk payments I often returned them right away. High risks = flagged by the card processor. If not then I processed them.

HostGator is going down and down. Specially there support is really bad now. Sorry for your problem.

Your best bet would be to ask for a refund at this stage. If that is declined you should get in touch with their feedback department (Management) asking for your funds refunded.

Hopefully you get the refund, if so you can then decide if you want to go for the $100 to get set up at HostGator or find another hosting provider.

The fact they charged you $76 and are asking for another $100 is a little crazy.

got the baby plan for 3 Yrs for around $70
    Always pay month-to-month with a new hosting provider.

You should better ask for refund. If hostgator denies for refund, claim chargeback through bank (SBI).
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

It's HostGator - none of this suprises me unfortunately.

They're owned by EIG (Evil international Group) (endurance international group) and they don't care about their customers now. Here is a list of company's that they own: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduran...national_Group

Thank you for all your replies!

Thank you for all your replies! I am going to wait for a day or two more for a reply from them on this matter. otherwise i ll have to go for a chargeback. sad that i ll have to let go of the deal (was quite a nice one) is there no one human among them to look into this matter with a human heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernet Servers View Post
    Here is a list of company's that they own: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enduran...national_Group
    Creepy......

One question, how did you got offered $70 for 3 years?

They normally give you 20% discount, and with some coupons 30% - and recently they had this black Friday 60% discount which I wanted to get, but then missed (don't bother to try the code, it's not working).

However, I did do a screenshot - at 60% off it was $3.18/month based on 3 years - that's $114.48 - So I wonder about the $70 ??

And I am curious how to get there - or anywere below $150 for that matter (today with -20% it's $228.96 for the 3 year Baby plan).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hostgator2.jpg  

They just did you a favor, and saved you from making a mistake.
    There are better hosts than EIG (Hostgator+). Use one!

Whatever "review" you saw was likely fake, and/or from before the EIG buyout in summer 2012.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Black Friday deal - got 75% off

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
    One question, how did you got offered $70 for 3 years?

They normally give you 20% discount, and with some coupons 30% - and recently they had this black Friday 60% discount which I wanted to get, but then missed (don't bother to try the code, it's not working).

However, I did do a screenshot - at 60% off it was $3.18/month based on 3 years - that's $114.48 - So I wonder about the $70 ??

And I am curious how to get there - or anywere below $150 for that matter (today with -20% it's $228.96 for the 3 year Baby plan).
    @flameproof - i had availed of an offer i got from whoishostingthis, giving 75% off on all hostgator plans for any invoice. it was valid only for 2 Hrs! so no use trying now.

scared to look at any host now!

Could you suggest some alternatives to HG? for around the same price? as i am now afraid of looking at any host. there are just so so many negative reviews about most of the hosts. however, i have had a very pleasant experience with A Small Orange for their cloud VPS. No hiccups yet. just that their shared plans are a bit too expensive for large disk requirements.

Check the shared offers section, there are some good deals.

i have had a very pleasant experience with A Small Orange for their cloud VPS. No hiccups yet.
    That's the key word here. A Small Orange is owned by the same people as HostGator (EIG). The same management team, the same servers, and the same support team. (and if you look closely, probably very similar if not the same policies/pricing too.)

Could you suggest some alternatives to HG? for around the same price? as i am now afraid of looking at any host. there are just so so many negative reviews about most of the hosts. however, i have had a very pleasant experience with A Small Orange for their cloud VPS. No hiccups yet. just that their shared plans are a bit too expensive for large disk requirements.
    It depends on what your looking for, you've got the Unlimited gimmick providers, or the reliable providers. I recommend FreshRostedHosting & CrocWeb, but they are reliable providers and don't provide unlimited services because there isn't such a thing.

As derp said, EIG own: Hostgator, A Small orange, BlueHost, iPage, much much more.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Really depends what you are looking for the unlimited are gimmicks. Infact my 2 cents anyone offering unlimited is your first warning to not use a host.

Second, its best to pay by the month unless you really know who you are dealing with.

The lowest price company out there I can think of off top my head that I don't feel is going anywhere for shared hosting would be Crissic .

Offers section a good place to look to, but be carefull lots of crazy deals that will not stay around. I saw a host in their the other day offering insane amount of stuff and notice that his website he was selling it on was not even staying up .

One, rule i Have always had before i will have a relationship with any company is I talked to them . either through these boards in a PM. Or I use skype, phone, chat or ticket system. You would be amazed how many times simply talking to companies you know to move on to another one.

Thank you for all your replies! I am going to wait for a day or two more for a reply from them on this matter. otherwise i ll have to go for a chargeback. sad that i ll have to let go of the deal (was quite a nice one) is there no one human among them to look into this matter with a human heart?
    Heart......are you familiar with Star Trek NG and the Borg? Some of us look at HG/EIG as such.

It was a nice deal, but many times the "good" $5 deal will cost you $1000 of your time in problems.

HG is currently going through a buyout transition, so your unfortunately caught in the mess, BUT also take into consideration...it is the weekend. Since this is now a billing issue, lots of hosts (and businesses) billing departments only work from Monday to Friday. Depending on your timezone, you may not hear from them until after 10am EST....and at their current state, a reply my take longer due to other customer issues. I know previously their billing department was pretty helpful.....now....I honestly can't say. Good Luck.