Thread: i3d.net

Angry i3d.net

Hi,

Just want WHT's input on the current problem I'm having with i3d.

I'm on the 2nd month having an unmanaged dedicated server with i3d (Dell Inc. - PowerEdge R210 II, 80 Euro/month). It was ordered using the discount code that i3d staff advertised on WHT's forum.

Yesterday, due to some mistake, I deleted all the ip rules of the server which led to I could not log in to the server anymore. Since I did not want to reboot the server in order to let it self-rebuild this, talked to 1 of their technical staffs (Bryan) and requested they would access the server on their end and help re-add the ip rule which I believe would probably would take 1'. I specifically requested them, for several times, to not reboot the server in anyway.

Bryan first told me that I need a KVM added to the server in order for me to do this, however this will cost me 10E/month more. After I re-affirmed to him that I don't need that as my needs of the server is very simple, he said that I will need an on-site technical to support me one this which will cost 15 (or 75, cannot remember now) E/hour, I agreed to this since there was not really any other option.

Due to time difference, today, I just woke up and found out that I'm able to connect to my server again, however, to my horror, it was rebooted sometime during the the period that I had absolutely no access to it.

Moreover, this is not the first time that I experience this kind of problem with i3d. In the beginning when I first ordered the server, I paid 20E/month extra in order to have 2 NICs. However, the server was delivered to me faulty, with me could not access the server due to a "Debian 7 iproute2 bug" as confirmed by Danny - another of i3d's technical staffs. The fix took i3d 4 days (23 Oct - 26 Oct), and I was unsurprisedly billed for this whole period without me being able to use the server.

Just want you guys' opinion in dealing with this cause I'm currently extremely angry & disappointed with i3d.

Thanks!

75 eur an hour? lol I want to be a tech at i3d :|

Seriously though did you indicate to the tech that you don't want your server to be rebooted? Maybe the tech doesn't know how to reload iptables.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie21 View Post
    75 eur an hour? lol I want to be a tech at i3d :|

Seriously though did you indicate to the tech that you don't want your server to be rebooted? Maybe the tech doesn't know how to reload iptables.
    hi,

yes, several times in fact. i also could perform the reboot myself, however given i have several processes running on the server which will be affected if reboot, hence i requested them to reload the iptables for the server from their end instead.

Your server was rebooted, what's so bad about that? At least the issue was resolved, isn't that the most important thing?
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

hi 24x7group,

not the point here. as said, i had some scripts running on the server at that time which if rebooting would affected it, hence i was very much willing to pay for the technical to rebuild the ip rule from their end without me having to reboot it.

Hi Kuroba, sorry to hear you're having some issues with our services. We strive to make things as easy and smooth as possible unfortunately problems can pop up from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroba View Post
    Yesterday, due to some mistake, I deleted all the ip rules of the server which led to I could not log in to the server anymore. Since I did not want to reboot the server in order to let it self-rebuild this, talked to 1 of their technical staffs (Bryan) and requested they would access the server on their end and help re-add the ip rule which I believe would probably would take 1'. I specifically requested them, for several times, to not reboot the server in anyway.
    Could you pm/email (ramon at i3d dot net) me your client number so I can read up on what happened and give you a proper reply?

Bryan first told me that I need a KVM added to the server in order for me to do this, however this will cost me 10E/month more. After I re-affirmed to him that I don't need that as my needs of the server is very simple, he said that I will need an on-site technical to support me one this which will cost 15 (or 75, cannot remember now) E/hour, I agreed to this since there was not really any other option.
    You are renting an unmanaged server with us. This means that any remote hands work is not included in the server price. Only clients with managed servers have remote hands work included with their offering.

We have options to automatically reinstall servers through our control panel which is all free of charge. We do not offer remote console by default, this is an optional upgrade which can be included at any time (and removed again after use). Remote hands work (any problem for which i3D.net staff needs to physically access your server to resolve an issue not caused by i3D.net and not related to hardware issues) is billed as such. This is pretty much industry standard for any company who offers hosting. We feel our fees are in no way unreasonable at Eur 17.50 per 15 minutes of remote hands.

Due to time difference, today, I just woke up and found out that I'm able to connect to my server again, however, to my horror, it was rebooted sometime during the the period that I had absolutely no access to it.
    I'll need the ticket number to check on this. It's possible that our technical staff either wasn't informed that the server couldn't be rebooted or that it was required to reboot the server for it to come back online.

Moreover, this is not the first time that I experience this kind of problem with i3d. In the beginning when I first ordered the server, I paid 20E/month extra in order to have 2 NICs. However, the server was delivered to me faulty, with me could not access the server due to a "Debian 7 iproute2 bug" as confirmed by Danny - another of i3d's technical staffs. The fix took i3d 4 days (23 Oct - 26 Oct), and I was unsurprisedly billed for this whole period without me being able to use the server.
    Bugs are unfortunately a nasty thing with hosting. When things should work but aren't working it's not always easy to figure out what exactly is wrong. Some issues are known and can be fixed quickly others will need some time to troubleshoot and resolve. Again I'll need to read up what actually happened here before I can make a better comment than that. You are of course entitled to compensation for the time your server wasn't available due to problems outside of your control. Simply submit a ticket to request this.

Once I've received your client number I'll contact you through our support system to evaluate what went wrong and how we can prevent this from happening again.
    Mail: sales@i3d.net - Interactive 3D - 100TB PROMOS! Dell Intel Xeon E3 servers - Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Gaming, IP Connectivity.
    36,000 sq ft datacenter, 8500 servers, 623 gbit network on AMS-IX, LINX, DECIX, PLIX, BBIX, TPIX, PTT-SP, IX Australia NSW, Level3, NTT, Cogent, NL-IX, DTAG.

Hi,

The fix took i3d 4 days (23 Oct - 26 Oct), and I was unsurprisedly billed for this whole period without me being able to use the server.
    Had ordered the server with 1Gbps port and they give me one with 100Mbps. I repeatedly told to staff that

ethtool eth0 reports it's on 100Mbps and they are not yet able to fix it. As of now since last few hours they are trying to deploy Debian 7 on new machine so it works with 1Gbps.

Debian 7 works fine with my other 3 machines at Hetzner, 2 with Choopa, 1 with Leaseweb and on my other 2 VPS.

I have feeling that their support staff has no clue whatsoever.

If you insisted it should not have to be rebooted, I agree that you have a point here.
    But if you didn't mention it clearly I don't think they made a mistake.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Kuroba, I managed to track down your ticket to see what happened.

Unfortunately this was a human error. 1 of our engineers meant to check the power status of the server but pressed power cycle instead. Our apologies for the inconvenience. I've contacted you through our ticket system regarding this and your previous issues.

@alexnuke: The issue with your server was a hardware related problem where the server wouldn't go to 1000 mbit regardless of what was set in the configuration and the switch. I believe this was resolved after we switched you to another server. If you still have issues please update your ticket.
    Last edited by Ramon - i3D; 12-16-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Mail: sales@i3d.net - Interactive 3D - 100TB PROMOS! Dell Intel Xeon E3 servers - Dedicated Servers, Colocation, Gaming, IP Connectivity.
    36,000 sq ft datacenter, 8500 servers, 623 gbit network on AMS-IX, LINX, DECIX, PLIX, BBIX, TPIX, PTT-SP, IX Australia NSW, Level3, NTT, Cogent, NL-IX, DTAG.