Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* 700 new TLDs: Which will you be snatching?

So, for those of you who aren't in the know -- there are soon to be a colossal number of new domain extensions.

You can find the extensions up for grabs here -- Click on 'other' for the full list.

Personally, i'm interested in the .blog, .store, .online & .weddings extensions. How about you, which are you most interested in?

Simple answer - none of them.

Some of the niche ones will probably succeed in their little niches (like .coop and .aero did). Some of the "geo" ones will probably succeed, especially if they cover an area which has an identity but no ccTLD (that's why you see .cat domains in and around Barcelona). Most of the rest will, in all likelihood, go the same way as .travel and .pro - i.e., nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post

Some of the niche ones will probably succeed in their little niches (like .coop and .aero did). Some of the "geo" ones will probably succeed, especially if they cover an area which has an identity but no ccTLD (that's why you see .cat domains in and around Barcelona). Most of the rest will, in all likelihood, go the same way as .travel and .pro - i.e., nowhere.
    I agree. I believe most will not have much demand for a long while to come yet. I guess we will see in the future what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post

I'd agree partially, for instance, extensions like .wtf .faith, .party, .fraud and .spam are pretty ridiculous ideas for extensions whereas .blog, .attorney & .shop are not only brandable but much needed.

The simple matter is, we're running out of brandable .coms, and people are using ccTLD like ma.tt to make niche domains; the .tt extension was initally for the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, which once had search engine implications (as he's based in the US)and yet was thus targeting Trinidad and Tobago due to his domain extension.

But google now view .tt as a Top level domain due to the no. of registrants whom use it out-of the country code -- remember Google is a domain registrar too. Seriously.

I am seriously considering - myname.blog and have some ideas for .cloud too
    Last edited by HA Jack; 12-13-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by God_ View Post
    So, for those of you who aren't in the know -- there are soon to be a colossal number of new domain extensions.

You can find the extensions up for grabs here -- Click on 'other' for the full list.

Personally, i'm interested in the .blog, .store, .online & .weddings extensions. How about you, which are you most interested in?
    Is your intent to build Google friendly sites on them with good content or buy and speculate that their value will go up?

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Is your intent to build Google friendly sites on them with good content or buy and speculate that their value will go up?
    I want to actually use the domains as main sites.

Maybe domain names will evolve into short phrases. Lets look at CNN.COM. What does the COM mean to anyone when combined with a news site? That was just the most appropriate extension at the time, which then turned into the most important. I am going to assume one of those 7-800 is NEWS. Does CNN.NEWS make more sense? It sure does!

Its a massive land grab. I can see many people picking up what they want and redirecting COM to their new ones because it makes more sense to say the phrase if you catch my drift.

I like .tech

Quote Originally Posted by mooxe View Post
    Its a massive land grab. I can see many people picking up what they want and redirecting COM to their new ones because it makes more sense to say the phrase if you catch my drift.
    Yeah. Right. Just like all those information portals became [name].info. Just like all those business sites became [name].biz. Just like all Telcos rushed out to register .tel and all mobile sites became .mobi.

NOT.

Things are going to change. .com will not stay the dominant extension. I am predicting that domain names will turn into easier to remember phrases that include extensions which are specific to the service. The creation of all these new extensions is a good start.

.com is going to stay as king for a long time. A very long time.

However, *new* websites will certainly be able to use the new extensions effectively. If a new website comes online and dumps millions into advertising "BreadSlicer2001.amazing" domain name... then that's what people are going to remember.

So to answer your question... we are not going to "snatch" any domain with a new extension. However, we might register a new domain with a new extension if it makes sense for whatever is the new website's purpose.

And also... people need to be aware that "snatching" something like "cnn.whatever" is not a smart move. You'll quickly lose the domain in a dispute since it's trademarked and the only reason you would have registered it is to take advantage of the mark, etc. There's no point to register someone else's trademark, regardless of what is the domain extension...
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Arguably though a domain like CNN.amazing isn't really related to their business as much as CNN.news or CNN.blog would be. I'm also not sure if disputes can take place after the public release of the domains, as trademarks get the first pick.

I'm not sure how I feel about these new extensions, I think over the course of the next 5/10 years we'll see traditional domain extensions (.com's, .net's, etc...) become less and less important.

As a result, I think the number of domains with traditional extensions being sat on by "domainers" (domain trolls, whatever you want to call them) will decline as their value is slowly but surely sapped away from them as the demand will no longer be there... That surely can only be a good thing, right?

Then again, the new domain extensions really won't inspire trust in end users for quite some time yet so it's going to be a very gradual change whatever happens.

I like the idea of .blog, .shop and so on, though some of the more specific ones will surely only introduce confusion for the user? I know some of our customers still have a tough time fathoming .info domains! ("yes, that's user@domain.info", "so, that's user@domain.info... .com?")
    Clook: Fully Managed UK Based Hosting · CloudFlare Optimised Partner!
    Established 12 Years - 24/7/365 Support (<10m Avg. Response Time)
    Shared, Reseller, vServer, Dedicated and Beyond
    0845 867 2550 Sales - Visit our Website

The era of brands is about to explode. Not just for investors, but for consumers, companies, entrepreneurs. This is the biggest single expansion of the Internet namespace, ever. It won't be reversed, as it's mandated by ICANN and private capital investors. Will it replace the usual favorites, such as .com/.net/.org etc.? No. But it will definitely change the domain name landscape.

I'm not pre-ordering any as they aren't allowed by ICANN to do so, as they don't know the final price or if they have been accepted yet.

If it is accepted I'm getting a .blackfriday domain, and hopefully some others.

.buy would be nice for your cart.

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    I'm not pre-ordering any as they aren't allowed by ICANN to do so, as they don't know the final price or if they have been accepted yet.

If it is accepted I'm getting a .blackfriday domain, and hopefully some others.
    Why that one? Surely mdd.hosting and/or mddhosting.store would be better and not for season use only.

.deals & .discount look like good ones for what I do.
    GeneratePress ~ The Best WordPress Theme I Have Ever Used

I think they are doing it way too fast. They should have allow the .blog .app . buy and more importantly .web first

Opening up too many domain is just plan stupid.

Personally the I think .web will be something that could closely follow .com and .net

Quote Originally Posted by God_ View Post
    Why that one? Surely mdd.hosting and/or mddhosting.store would be better and not for season use only.
    CW Mike isn't associated with MDDHosting, so I'm not sure why you would be suggesting domains that we, perhaps, would be interested in to a third party?

Perhaps this is a simple misunderstanding.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    CW Mike isn't associated with MDDHosting, so I'm not sure why you would be suggesting domains that we, perhaps, would be interested in to a third party?

Perhaps this is a simple misunderstanding.
    Oh crap, sorry dude, i mis-associated the user names. I have no idea why, haha. But i'd re-itterate the question to CW-Mike @ crocweb.com.

Quote Originally Posted by HA Jack View Post
    Oh crap, sorry dude, i mis-associated the user names. I have no idea why, haha. But i'd re-itterate the question to CW-Mike @ crocweb.com.
    Just wanted to clarify that CW-Mike is not from CrocWeb either, he was our client though.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

i simply love real.estate but it was taken up as soon as it becomes available.

honestly, i just feel that all these TLD domains are more for businesses and big investors and probably not for small players like us. The popular ones will be bidded until very high such that we can probably afford the first registration.

Whoever posted the "here" link to 1and1 UK must be out of their mind. I just followed the link and was pleased to find so many domains available for pre-order. I ordered 50 of them. After I got my customer id sent via e-mail, I tried to login but couldnt. I contacted their support which replied next day that my account was never setup. Then I had to wait another day as their offices were closed. Finally today I got a e-mail saying "Unfortunately your order was unable to be processed in our system." What? What about all the domains I booked before others in the queue. I lost all of them! I'd suggest trying another service for registering or pre-ordering these domains. Stay away from 1and1 guys!

Regards,
    Shiva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast