SolusVM support staff have no xmas spirit

Hello all,

I just wanted to share my review of the quality of support over at SolusVM

Ok here is my story...

Everyone who knows of SolusVM, will know that it is an "out of the box" software that pretty much works without the need to get into any complex SSH.

However i will confess i am not the most experienced server manager on the planet and relish on the fact that the SolusVM software up until now have served me well in that i rarely need to go on the command line witch suits me down to the ground. However i have recently invested into a new KVM node and wanted to add this to my already live master/OpenVZ host node.

And i followed all the install manuals and yet it still refuses to work. So i headed over to support team where i hoped to receive the support i was used too.

So i send my ticket in.

Dear Support,

I have just added a new KVM to my SolusVM cluster and its my first KVM node and when i create a new virtual KVM container it wont start and when i boot it it wont boot any ideas?
    here is their response to that email

Hi,

Please can you attempt to start this VPS Manually, you can do so by running the following command on the server that hosts this VPS in SSH:

virsh create /home/kvm/kvmID/kvmID.xml

You will obviously need to replace kvmID with the actual kvmID of the VPS, you can find this in SolusVM in the Virtual Server List Table under VMID or by going to the VPS's Management Area and in the 'Information' table under ID.

--
    Kind Regards,
    Kavi - SolusLabs Support Team
    Here is my response to that;

Dear Support,

I get the following error message

virsh create /home/kvm/101/101.xml
    error: Failed to open file '/home/kvm/101/101.xml': No such file or directory

Regards
    here is what they had to say;

Hi,

You would need to give

virsh create /home/kvm/kvm101/101.xml

--
    Kind Regards,
    And this was my response to that;

Dear Support

I get this error message when i run the below command.

[root@localhost ~]# virsh create /home/kvm/kvm101/101.xml
    error: Failed to open file '/home/kvm/kvm101/101.xml': No such file or directory

Regards
    Dear Support

When i look into the directory tree i see the following;

[root@localhost kvm]# cd /home/kvm/kvm101
    [root@localhost kvm101]# ls
    kvm101.xml mnt proc.log
    [root@localhost kvm101]#

The server says its there when i SSH into the KVM box. But when i try and boot it from the master solusvm cp where its connected too when i use reboot with debug i get the following error message,

Connection Failed

Debug Data: 5 could not send the HTTP request: Could not execute the request: couldn't connect to host

Regards
    This was what they had to say

Hi,

What is the result of below commands from the Slave server?

sestatus
    /etc/init.d/lighttpd status
    vgs
    lvs

--
    Kind Regards,
    This is what i sent back;

Dear Support

I have now solved the below error;

Connection Failed

Debug Data: 5 could not send the HTTP request: Could not execute the request: couldn't connect to host

However i have a new error now when i try and boot the KVM in debug mode container 101 i get the error

error: Failed to create domain from /home/kvm/kvm101/kvm101.xml
    error: cannot open file '/dev//kvm101_img': No such file or directory

Regards
    They responded with;

Hi,

Ok please run the below commands and paste the result to us.

df -h
    vgs
    lvs

--
    Kind Regards,
    This was my response

Dear Support,

Here is the outcome if that command;

[root@localhost kvm]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root 50G 1.4G 46G 3% /
    tmpfs 5.9G 0 5.9G 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1 485M 32M 428M 7% /boot
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home 96G 290M 91G 1% /home
    [root@localhost kvm]# vgs
    VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
    VolGroup 1 3 0 wz--n- 152.89g 0
    [root@localhost kvm]# lvs
    LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
    lv_home VolGroup -wi-ao---- 97.01g
    lv_root VolGroup -wi-ao---- 50.00g
    lv_swap VolGroup -wi-ao---- 5.88g
    [root@localhost kvm]#
    Here is where it started to get interesting and where support really did start to fail. Now give credit where its due, things started out fine. But as soon as it became apparent that maybe their software hasn't done what it should have done during install, they wanted to write me off with the following excuse;

Hi,

Please remove the lvm lv_home and make some space free for Volume Group because in KVM and xen if you create a vps from Solusvm panel it will take space from VG and create it like a lvm only.

Thanks.

--
    Kind Regards,
    So like i said i never have and never will claim to be super expert in this. So with this in mind i responded with the following.

Dear Support,

How would i do this?

Regards
    To witch they responded with;

Hi,

If you are aware of the LVM command you can do this by yourself, if not contact your DC or some server management company for this.

Thanks.

--
    Kind Regards,
    Rajesh - SolusLabs Support Team
    Here was my response

Dear Support,

When i try and unmount the volume to try and remove it, it says;

[root@localhost ~]# umount /home
    umount: /home: device is busy.
    (In some cases useful info about processes that use
    the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1))

Regards
    Here was their response

Hi,

You have a clear server, it has no problem on it. You can itself clearly see that you have created a volume group and you have mounted it on VolGroup-lv_home and VolGroup-lv_root .

You can't unmount the /home because there may be process of it running inside the server.

--
    Kind Regards,
    So here you are, at the moment I have a Mexican stand-off with them. All i want if for my one and only KVM working "simple", even this is tricky for them to see. They are clearly aware of this issue hence why they were able to respond so quickly with what they did witch was.

Hi,

It has been clearly said on the requirements about the partition, it is an issue with your side

KVM Host

/ 80GB+ (KVM templates & iso's will be stored in /home/solusvm/kvm)
    SWAP 4GB+ (Virtual servers may use host swap if there is a real memory shortage)
    Logical Volume Group (LVM) remaining space (Logical Volume Group Only, SolusVM will create the logical volumes for the virtual servers inside this group)
    Please Note: The Volume Group Name CANNOT be KVM as /dev/kvm/ is a directory created on install
    The PE Size should be set to 32M not the Default of 4M

http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.h...quirements.htm

--
    Kind Regards,
    And that doesn't help me what so ever. So, now i am seriously considering moving complacently away from SolusVM witch would be terrible shame, as its been so good up until now.

What custom partitioning do you have on the server?

YOU should be managing your server.

SolusVM sells a product, they don't do your job for you.

There is a process running in /home (are you in /home, that will prevent you from unmounting it too).

Honestly, this is a first year junior Linux admin problem.

You need to find the process that's running in /home, then stop it.

Then unmount it and adjust your partitions, or whatever you have to do.

This does not reflect upon Solus as a company because you own a server you don't know what to do with.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

I totally agree with Crothers. You must configure and manage your server alone, not Solusvm. If you can't configure it yourself hire some managed services.

Thanks for everyone comments, but like i said above im not a guru at this and never have claimed. But if custom LVM's were required why dont they tell you that before you go through all the other of setting up the node thats all. Normally support is great and like is said because the software is so powerful i rarely feel the need to ssh into the nodes, But when i do i can normally manage it myself.

Thread title should be changed.. this isn't SolusVM's fault and they didnt have to even try to help you as its not a problem with their software.

Quote Originally Posted by host1984 View Post
    Thanks for everyone comments, but like i said above im not a guru at this and never have claimed. But if custom LVM's were required why dont they tell you that before you go through all the other of setting up the node thats all. Normally support is great and like is said because the software is so powerful i rarely feel the need to ssh into the nodes, But when i do i can normally manage it myself.
    I won't flame you, good on you for taking a step forwards.

I will point out though that the SolusVM prerequisites are fairly easy to find, labelled as "Requirements", you really should have read these before even attempting to work with SolusVM/KVM (and any other similar software). It's like buying a game without checking what console it's for.

My only advice, find the need to SSH into the nodes - once you become more familiar with it you'll become more comfortable, but you can't properly monitor/maintain a server without accessing through SSH regularly.

@iexo - Thanks for the support buddy, I understand i should have read the requirements. And for that i will put my hands up, But as they say we all have to learn somewhere and this is my somewhere ;-)

I would like to thank you all for all your comments in this matter. I can now confirm and thank SolusVM for restoring my failth in them. They have stepped up and helped me resolve this matter and i am now a happy customer again. I understand that this was not all SolusVM and i am now aware of where i went wrong in all of this and will not be going down that road again.

So with this in mind i would like to thank and wish all the team at SolusVM and all my commenters a very merry xmas and a happy new year

Lets hope i can learn lots more new things in 2014