Stuck with a dedicated box and Wordpress

Hi guys,

I'm basically having a dilemma and a half trying to get my Wordpress site moved over to my dedicated box with Burst.net. Only up until now I realise why my box was cheap and I should be paying for managed services. I'm trying to use WP-Clone to copy over my website to the new server.

The first issue is whenever I try to add a plugin, I am presented with a Connection Information request screen requesting FTP login details to my server, I found this a little odd. I have read that this is caused by PHP running in an admin context and not a user context, if so should I do to fix this? I am using DirectAdmin and it has an Admin/Reseller/User level. I added the domains to the user level as they can only be added on the user section.

Regards.

It's caused by running PHP as an Apache module (DSO / mod_php). To get it working as you expect you'll need to configure it to use suPHP (or whatever else is current now - FastCGI?) and rerun the custombuild script. The DA forums will provide a lot of help.

However, if it's only your website on the server then DSO is actually a rather good option. It'll generally give you good performance with lower resource usage and less work than other alternatives, and better security - the reason it's asking for your password is that the PHP application can't modify the files directly. This is a good thing because it means a hacker can't modify them either...

Running PHP as the user (suPHP and similar) is preferred in shared hosting to protect users from other users. But if you're the only user on this server, you don't need that protection.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Hi there,

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction! I think I have made a mistake going from shared/VPS hosting where everything is always done for you right over to the deep end of dedi hosting.

I have now been reading up and I can see that running DSO infact causes quite allot of problems with Wordpress, mainly because Apache creates files with nobody:nobody permissions. I have been reading about but I can't find a definitive method to actually get DSO to work with Wordpress that is AS safe as running suPHP or CGI. I've heard of mucking around with the wp-config.php and adding lines of code but is this safe to do so?

At the moment I am turning to running FastCGI however I have no experience installing this, and I heard you need a fresh install of DirectAdmin to change over to it, so I don't know how to make my DirectAdmin fresh again!

I've never used PUTTY before but I would say I could pick it up easily. As you can tell I am not a SysAdmin, I just want a dedicated box for fast load times and more control.

What should I do to get Wordpress ticking nicely, it is honestly all I will be running, however, I will be running multiple domains in DirectAdmin. Also, should I use CustomBuild 2.0? It is ideal for me to use to keep the server running optimum?

Your help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

There are several different directions to go for this.

In these situations, I normally make a backup of the wp-config.php and add the FTP credentials to it. Then when I am done, I sub back in the original config file without the FTP. It makes it faster but also gives you security.

Quote Originally Posted by serentico View Post
    Hi there,
    At the moment I am turning to running FastCGI however I have no experience installing this, and I heard you need a fresh install of DirectAdmin to change over to it, so I don't know how to make my DirectAdmin fresh again!
    If you want to go that direction, you may want to ask them to reinstall the base O/S. Especially if you've been playing with permissions.
    BestSSDHost.com - Ditch your slow host and choose the best!

Web Hosting: Super fast web hosting. Your choice: San Francisco, CA or Atlanta, GA
    SSD VPS (KVM): Instant KVM VPS from Buffalo, NY

You should look in the offers section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201
    BestSSDHost.com - Ditch your slow host and choose the best!

Web Hosting: Super fast web hosting. Your choice: San Francisco, CA or Atlanta, GA
    SSD VPS (KVM): Instant KVM VPS from Buffalo, NY

At the moment I am turning to running FastCGI however I have no experience installing this
    You need to be familiar with FCGI if you use it and you need to properly configure it to avoid problem.

Better just pay your host to manage your server so you do not have to worry this.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help, I will be starting off with a host change firstly, I'm waiting on my current host to at least get back to me on support tickets.

bestssdhost, are those prices still current for management services? As I understand it, you provide ongoing monthly management of any box for $20 p/h? Is this correct?

Something I'd recommend is to use cPanel instead of DirectAdmin, it costs a bit more, but cPanel is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSpears View Post
    Something I'd recommend is to use cPanel instead of DirectAdmin, it costs a bit more, but cPanel is superior.

Agreed. For a beginner, using cPanel would be a really good idea.
    HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
    Shared Reseller VPS 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
    CloudLinux CloudFlare Softaculous Premium Multi PHP cPanel
    Also offering Windows Hosting with Plesk 12 Multi PHP MSSQL ASP.NET

bestssdhost, are those prices still current for management services? As I understand it, you provide ongoing monthly management of any box for $20 p/h? Is this correct?
    I'd suggest contacting them directly with these questions. Providers are limited around what details of their own services they can discuss in the main forums

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I have always been a Windows person, but I've never had my hands dirty when it comes to system administration, that is why I am finding all of this a challenge. Allot goes behind the scenes when you are using shared hosting.

Anyhow, I do want my own box and I want to keep this as cheap as possible. I have a fairly decent deal with Burst.net for $57 p/h however it is unmanaged. So you are all recommending I use cPanel for hosting? I'm guessing my issue was related to DirectAdmin using DSO as the handler naturally and of course my host would have had this loaded as it comes standard with DirectAdmin. I then loaded Wordpress on thinking everything was golden and... well... that wasn't the case heh.

Ok, why is cPanel the better choice? Is it more point and click? Is it better for Wordpress installs? All I want is a dedicated box with an easy to use control panel of adding my sites in. I have found management for $20 p/h above so I may just find a box and have someone do the management for me.

Why do you need management and can it be simply done by myself?

Regards.

You need management if you don't know how to manage the box yourself. Right now, that certainly seems to describe your position. If you want to dig in and learn everything you need to know, you can, but it'll take time and effort and there may well be some hard lessons along the way. OTOH if you just want to run a website then a fully-managed VPS (or even a high-end shared account) would be a better way to go.

You don't need a fresh install of DA to switch to FastCGI - that's ridiculous. Change configuration, rerun custombuild - that's it. (But I still maintain that for a single website DSO is the better and more secure option).

Personally I prefer DA but for beginners I'd agree that cPanel is the better option - "point-and-click" is about right. But even on cPanel there will be times when you need to log in through SSH to fix something. If you don't know how to do that, make sure you're in contact with someone who does.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter