Red face How many clients for this server configuration?

Server configuration:
    Dual Xeon E5-2620
    32GB RAM
    4 x 1TB Hard Drive
    100TB Bandwidth
    1Gbit Dedicated Port

Scenario:
    Shared hosting clients with -- let's presume 150GB bandwidth and 10GB of disk-space. When will the server start to throttle?
    Last edited by HA Jack; 12-11-2013 at 11:20 PM.

You can't say, how many by default! because it depends on what kind of customers you get, if you get heavy usage type customers, like forums or etc.. even few of them would lag your server. however you can estimate a number on your server
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

Assuming you won't be hosting too many high traffic sites I would say it can handle at least a 100-200. It's really difficult to gauge how many sites a server can host since every site uses different amount of resources, not just disk space/bandwidth but CPU, RAM, and disk i/o as well, a single website can easily use up the entire server if it has high usage and is not optimized properly. I would also recommend getting CloudLinux installed if this is for a shared hosting environment.

I believe your biggest bottleneck would be the disk i/o but that would not be until you have a fairly loaded server. Everything else seems fine and it should be able to house a decent number of websites.

Quote Originally Posted by God_ View Post
    Server configuration:
    Dual Xeon E5-2620
    32GB RAM
    4 x 1TB Hard Drive
    100TB Bandwidth
    1Gbit Dedicated Port

Scenario:
    Shared hosting clients with -- let's presume 150GB bandwidth and 10GB of disk-space. When will the server start to throttle?
    If your going to police resource usage with a reasonable approach with some caching and good configuration you could easily fit 100 "average" accounts of that nature onto that type of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    I believe your biggest bottleneck would be the disk i/o but that would not be until you have a fairly loaded server. Everything else seems fine and it should be able to house a decent number of websites.
    So an SSD array would be better suited, or overkill? Further, if i limit a single client from utilizing more than their share of CPU or RAM, what software would be required?

So an SSD array would be better suited, or overkill? Further, if i limit a single client from utilizing more than their share of CPU or RAM, what software would be required?
    Using the Ram for caching would be good at first which is much faster than SSD. It appears most people are over looking the beauty of using the Ram as a cache these days with all this SSD talk floating about.

CloudLinux. Worth every penny.
    HostMantis Affordable Web Hosting
    Shared Reseller VPS 24/7/365 Support Instant Activation
    CloudLinux CloudFlare Softaculous Premium Multi PHP cPanel
    Also offering Windows Hosting with Plesk 12 Multi PHP MSSQL ASP.NET

Agreed, using your RAM for caching purposes should help alleviate any i/o bottlenecks you may encounter later on. Seeing how you have 32GB of RAM you should definitely use this to your advantage.

Server configuration:
    Dual Xeon E5-2620
    32GB RAM
    4 x 1TB Hard Drive
    100TB Bandwidth
    1Gbit Dedicated Port

Scenario:
    400-500 account (assumed no account have 5k pv perday) would fit that server. We host 200-300 account on e3 server with 4x500 gb hdd and average server load was 1-2. I would recommend you change 4x1 TB hdd with 2x240 gb ssd or 2x 480 gb ssd