Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    You didn't sign up with Enom or ICANN, you signed up with Namecheap and to have your order verified with them they need your id. Seems simple enough
    My orders are from months ago. It doesn't need to be "verified". I have the card statements to prove it.

My belief is that they are giving me a hard time now because they goofed up by suspending everything based off a bogus complaint, and now are trying to find another reason as to why they suspended than admit they stuffed up.
    Last edited by unhappynamecheap; 12-12-2013 at 01:30 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by unhappynamecheap View Post
    Skyping an attorney tomorrow in California about a class action. Will keep you all updated. PM me if you have had a similar experience with NameCheap.
    ...My lawyers are going to love that!
    Any update from your lawyers?
      0 Not allowed!

You are being that guy.

The one that's in the wrong and just refuses to accept it. Ok so maybe namecheap should have dead linked the PDF that contained the link instead of disabling your entire account. But that's not what happened. There is one resolution to your issue, send a copy of your photo ID.

End of story. Stop whining! The internet is not your personal soapbox.

You come here and flame a company that thousands have done business with and have been given a solution to your problem, yet your still down because you refuse to do it.

Once your back up, link your users to this forum thread so they can see why you were down for so long. I'd love to see their opinions on the matter.
    --Frank
      1 Not allowed!

There's a reason why they aren't standing up by their original statement publicly - "It has come to our attention that your hosting account is involved into phishing activity."

Because it is false. Usually NameCheap seems to be very quick to call their suspended customers "scammers" etc, but they know in this case they messed up and did not follow due course after receiving a phony complaint.
    Heh, you realize that one won't do anything that will be taken against them. If you know that, however, then you're not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by freebudy View Post
    Doesn't mean it would hold up in a court of law.
    That sort of thing has gone both ways. In the U.S., where NameCheap is based, I've seen a bunch upheld because judges saw businesses (pretty much) follow their terms of the contract.

The OP's lawyer ought to at least honestly tell him what challenges, drawbacks, etc. to expect when pursuing a class action lawsuit. If what U.S. lawyers told me is true, class actions are not easy to pursue -- much more to conclusion.

(Not to mention that lawyers, so far, get the most cut out of whatever payments are made in class actions.)
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting to see so many side with Namecheap while they've so far refused to comment on the cause of all this noise: the phishing complaint. I can't really form an opinion without proof from either side, but I do know this:

* Cards with different names aren't that strange. I've one with my full name, one with my initial and last name, three with each a different company name, etc.

* McAfee/Norton certified doesn't mean anything. Failing to pass their automatic scans doesn't result in the certification being canceled as long as your provide their automated system with a "valid reason".

* A clause in a TOS isn't really relevant. Every registrar will have such a clause to cover their behinds, it's how they use them what counts.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xnpu View Post
    Interesting to see so many side with Namecheap while they've so far refused to comment on the cause of all this noise: the phishing complaint. I can't really form an opinion without proof from either side
    Well, I said from the onset that phishing is serious enough to warrant immediate suspension. Without proof from either side, as you said, unfortunately we'll never know the merits of the phishing complaint beyond whatever clues were given.

Time will tell how this specific issue goes.
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting to see so many side with Namecheap while they've so far refused to comment on the cause of all this noise: the phishing complaint. I can't really form an opinion without proof from either side, but I do know this:

* Cards with different names aren't that strange. I've one with my full name, one with my initial and last name, three with each a different company name, etc.

* McAfee/Norton certified doesn't mean anything. Failing to pass their automatic scans doesn't result in the certification being canceled as long as your provide their automated system with a "valid reason".

* A clause in a TOS isn't really relevant. Every registrar will have such a clause to cover their behinds, it's how they use them what counts.
    If all this is innocuous then all the OP has to do is send a screenshot of his ID to NameCheap and phone them as requested. But instead the OP is threatening to spend thousands on lawyers who will run into the same simple request from NameCheap.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    If all this is innocuous then all the OP has to do is send a screenshot of his ID to NameCheap and phone them as requested. But instead the OP is threatening to spend thousands on lawyers who will run into the same simple request from NameCheap.
    That may indeed solve his situation. For me however, as a potential Namecheap customer, it's more important to know whether or not Namecheap indeed suspended an account based on fake notice.
      1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    How many times do I need to say it? I have NO interest in remaining a NameCheap customer. Now I want more than just want my domains back.
      0 Not allowed!

I think you destroyed your business yourself. If this was so important, hell I bet you would send even your SS(joke).

--

How many times do I need to say it? I have NO interest in remaining a NameCheap customer. Now I want more than just want my domains back.
    --
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Well, I said from the onset that phishing is serious enough to warrant immediate suspension.
    Shoot first - ask questions later? Hope this doesn't happen to any of your domains! But, if it does, feel free to PM me. Putting together a list of people with similar experiences with NameCheap.
    Last edited by unhappynamecheap; 12-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    I think you destroyed your business yourself. If this was so important, hell I bet you would send even your SS(joke).

--
    It took me almost a day of explaining to them that the site was not a phishing page before being told what was needed to be done next. By that time, the damage had been done already. Their staff are very slow, both in getting back to you and mentally, it appears.

I'm still waiting for a physical address I requested from NameCheap more than 36 hours ago. Haven't got it yet. Don't trust this "company" at all.
      0 Not allowed!

The names ARE NOT different. The card numbers could be. I don't even remember which exact card I use for every purchase, but I have them all with me in person and can provide proof if needed. Anyway, that shouldn't be a problem and is not the issue here. In my opinion, Mr. Russell is just spewing out BS to make up for his staff's incompetence for suspending all my websites because of a false complaint. Notice he didn't address the confirmation about his staff saying "It has come to our attention that your hosting account is involved into phishing activity." I guess he doesn't want to risk his career / personal finances, but is perfectly happy to ruin other people's.

Be warned, I suggest NOT RUNNING a business on NameCheap. The potential for loss is just too high, in my opinion. PM me if you have had similar experience.
    I think he meant he "tried"using the same name for each credit card but they don't match up to whats on the credit cards. I don't understand how they can be his and all be from all different continents?

I am quite happy with NameCheap and have most of my domain names registered there. Although they are a eNom reseller, their support is quite good. For example, on Cyber Monday they had their $0.98 domain registration deal and I waited to snap one up but was unable to because they ran out. After contacting their support and telling them what happened, they told me they give me the $0.98 promo as long as I first deposited $5 into my account. Anyway, they ended up having the promo again and I was able to snap one up this time so it wasn't necessary.
      0 Not allowed!

it's more important to know whether or not Namecheap indeed suspended an account based on fake notice.
    +1

Was the suspension result of a single email with a consequent failure to provide the scanned ID, or was there a number of complaints that triggered some kind of threshold?

I understand OP's desire not to send scanned IDs. I'd do the same. I can send you company registration papers, I'll even spend $$ to involve a public notary, but you ain't gonna get the scan of my ID, case closed. Because it's easy to:

1) 'shop them anyway, especially if the client is from another country and there's really no way to check the validity of the ID (or is there a database to look them up in that I'm not aware of?) so what's the point

2) real ID scans can be easily copied by current or disgruntled ex employees, or ill-gained if the host is compromised/hacked, or cycles unencrypted HDDs without shredding them properly, any of which can lead to ID theft.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry to hear of your experience with NameCheap. From reading the thread I can probably assume the quickest way for you to leave NameCheap would be to provide them with the documents they have asked for, get your account unlocked and begin transferring.

Otherwise it will be a much longer process and only involve more headaches for you and NameCheap.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CBH-Nick View Post
    I think he meant he "tried"using the same name for each credit card but they don't match up to whats on the credit cards. I don't understand how they can be his and all be from all different continents?
    They are not from different continents. They are from one place only and they are mine. There is no problem with the cards, Mr Russell is just trying to throw some diversion in there to justify this massive NameCheap stuff up, in my opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wndml View Post
    +1

Was the suspension result of a single email with a consequent failure to provide the scanned ID, or was there a number of complaints that triggered some kind of threshold?
    There was 1 complaint that turned out to be bogus. I spent hours on chat and email explaining to the staff how it was bogus and providing proof. After saying they would clear it up, the ended up locking my entire account.
      0 Not allowed!

+1
    I understand OP's desire not to send scanned IDs. I'd do the same. I can send you company registration papers, I'll even spend $$ to involve a public notary, but you ain't gonna get the scan of my ID, case closed. Because it's easy to:

1) 'shop them anyway, especially if the client is from another country and there's really no way to check the validity of the ID (or is there a database to look them up in that I'm not aware of?) so what's the point

2) real ID scans can be easily copied by current or disgruntled ex employees, or ill-gained if the host is compromised/hacked, or cycles unencrypted HDDs without shredding them properly, any of which can lead to ID theft.
    Finally, someone with some sense! If they can so easily be duped by a bogus "phishing" complaint, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff could be duped into handing over all their customers ID's to someone sending an email just asking for them.

I can't comprehend why people can't grasp this.

Yeah, plus with your ID + Credit Card numbers on record + what I presume is far Eastern Europe - it isn't exactly a good combination. Do they want a semen sample too?
    Last edited by unhappynamecheap; 12-13-2013 at 10:21 AM.
      1 Not allowed!

I've used Namecheap for a long time. Out of all the domain registrars I have used, they are by far the best.

Support is great in my opinion, a few issues here and there but that is to be expected anywhere. The issues did get sorted and that's all that matters.

You seem like you have something to hide by not wanting to provide ID. You're not going to get any further if you don't provide it so I'd just provide what they are asking and get this sorted. They've done nothing wrong here at all.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumVM View Post
    You seem like you have something to hide by not wanting to provide ID. You're not going to get any further if you don't provide it so I'd just provide what they are asking and get this sorted. They've done nothing wrong here at all.
    I agree, the average person will provide their ID if they want to show they are who they are. The people that do use a fraudulent credit card and are asked for ID will usually run and hide and in this case, hes trying to make Namecheap look bad by writing a bad review and make them look the other way. This is pretty common practice for processing credit cards so it doesn't make Namecheap any different or worse for doing it.
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software
      0 Not allowed!

Have you spoken to them on the phone now like they stated?

The only way out is to comply with their request and send the proof they require. Failing that it looks to be one very long and expensive court case on your behalf
    WO Hostings - Reliable and Affordable UK Web Hosting.
    Family run business providing a personal customer service.
    Web hosting packages with dedicated account managers.
      0 Not allowed!

I love namecheap and they are really good but with all the identity theft going around I don't think it's safe to send a copy of Id to people personally don't know. Don't get me wrong, but all confidential information like address, birthday, etc will be divulged and I personally am not comfortable with it too.
      0 Not allowed!

It is reasonable to assume that Namecheap has some proof that OP was phishing rather than take the action they did for one complaint without checking the validity of the complaint. It is right Namecheap should ask the OP for proof of ID but by the same token they should first provide their evidence that led to the suspension.
      0 Not allowed!

Finally, someone with some sense! If they can so easily be duped by a bogus "phishing" complaint, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff could be duped into handing over all their customers ID's to someone sending an email just asking for them.

I can't comprehend why people can't grasp this.

Yeah, plus with your ID + Credit Card numbers on record + what I presume is far Eastern Europe - it isn't exactly a good combination. Do they want a semen sample too?

Quote Originally Posted by apartmentph View Post
    I love namecheap and they are really good but with all the identity theft going around I don't think it's safe to send a copy of Id to people personally don't know. Don't get me wrong, but all confidential information like address, birthday, etc will be divulged and I personally am not comfortable with it too.
    All understandable. If it somehow helps:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...5&postcount=16

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    We have offices around the world but each is fully PCI and data protection compliant. Everything is in-house. We have extreme safeguards in place to protect our and our clients data. On a busy day, we perform up to 1000 of these manual fraud checks so there is nothing for you to worry about if you are legitimate.
    Speaking of which:

http://clicktoverify.truste.com/pvr....com&sealid=101

TRUSTe helps people click with confidence by guiding them to trustworthy Web sites. Companies that display the TRUSTe seal on their Web site's privacy policy comply with the highest standards for protecting your personal information.
    While everything has a first time, NameCheap (so far) have no reports of data breaches or breach of privacy of any sort. That sort of report spreads online quickly, after all, if it ever happens.

Sending IDs can also be a choice or option rather than a requirement. Undesired results may occur from not sending IDs, yet one always has that choice or option.

To paraphrase someone arguably (in)famous: if one can resolve this issue without enacting laws (or asking IDs in this case), he or she will do it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    It is reasonable to assume that Namecheap has some proof that OP was phishing rather than take the action they did for one complaint without checking the validity of the complaint. It is right Namecheap should ask the OP for proof of ID but by the same token they should first provide their evidence that led to the suspension.
    Well, no they didn't. That's why this whole process arose. Haven't you read this entire thread? Notice that no NameCheap employee has returned since the start of this thread and stood by that statement? Because they have nothing, and there is nothing.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast