Scalable Hosting

I'm looking at a truly scalable solution for a website under development. In the first instance usage will be reasonably low but if all goes okay I'm hoping for quite a large site consuming large amounts of both bandwidth and server space, (i hope).

What is my best course of action to accommodate such growth bearing in mind I'm starting with very limited funds and don't want to pay for more than I initially need.

The website is an artist portfolio site/portal.
    Thanks.

can you explain more about your website?how many visitor you plan to be have in first 6 months for example?in all of providers normally you can upgrade your initial service.

You can start with shared hosting basic plan and upgrade your plan anytime you wish.

Pay month-to-month to your hosting provider.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Every single Site we host said something like what you are saying now.

Less than 5% of them actually out-grow shared hosting, and of those 5%, it is only again about 5% that grow within the first year to need more.

Find a shared host whom you are happy with and if you actually grow, then address it once you have the data on understanding what you need. What you need now is a shared host in the $5-10/mth range with a reputable provider.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

As mentioned artist portfolio site so potentially lots of images. Know idea on bandwidth may 100 uniques per day to start with moving into the 1000s. Just don't want have to do major migrations of many files and server space

Just about any shared host who has a good network will be able to host your site without any problems for the beginning. You can go with a host who offers more than one shared hosting plan and who will not charge you to upgrade your account to the bext plan.

Once you've outgrown shared hosting which I bet you can do you'll then have to go with VPS or dedicated which is a server. It's a whole different ball game there. Linux shared hosting with cPanel should so you justices.

Also don't go for any yearly or any type if contracts where you pay in advance for the hosting or get locked in for a period of time on a plan because then when you need to upgrade it will be hard for you sins you are in an agreement or contract.

Approximately how much disk space does each image use on average? I believe a shared hosting account with the option to upgrade in disk space should be more than enough unless you're expecting loads of traffic to the website. Also, on top of that, what might your budget be? Does it warrant the possibility of getting a VPS if absolutely necessary?