Hard Drive space offered by VPS providers

Hi,

I have seen some budget providers(yes quite a few on WHT too) who offer 1 GB VPS with 100+ GB space but node setups they normally have are:

Xeon E3 12xx v2
    32 or 64 GB RAM
    2 X 2000 GB SATA in Soft Raid 1(And the datacentre doesnt allow additional drives)

So what I fail to understand is

1.Do they not put more than 20 clients on the node
    OR
    2.They oversell or over-committ HDD space somehow?

3.If they oversell HDD space, is it even possible wih XEN, KVM or any other virtualization to do so?
    Last edited by Shoaib_A; 12-10-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Just clarify with your hosting provider. Some of providers are overselling RAM. Just fallow this thread

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=902572

Quote Originally Posted by bukzrock View Post
    Just clarify with your hosting provider. Some of providers are overselling RAM. Just fallow this thread

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=902572
    I am talking about HDD space, not RAM or CPU.

They can't do oversell the Hard Drive with the KVM & Xen technology

Quote Originally Posted by Sledger View Post
    I am talking about HDD space, not RAM or CPU.

It could be, how much they are offering for?
    RouterHosting
    Cheap Windows VPS | Linux VPS | Dedicated Servers Within Your budget
    Accept Credit Cards, PayPal, Payza, PerfectMoney, Moneybookers, BitCoin and ....
    Instant Windows and Linux VPS Activation

Quote Originally Posted by Sledger View Post
    So what I fail to understand is

It doesn't work like that.

Presumably they offer other plans, right?

So if, for example, they also offer 10Gb, 25Gb and 50Gb plans, they'll mix up what they host on each host node. Now, if you look at their plan pricing, you cannot buy 4 x 25Gb plans for the same price as 1 x 100Gb plan - It would cost you more for the 4 x 25Gb plans.

Reality check: The easiest thing to spot is overselling of disk space (when it comes to VPSs). When you see "100Gb allotted, 27Gb used and 3Gb free" you know something is wrong.

So hosts don't mess around with disk space allocations - They juggle their plans and their customers to make the most (profitable use) out of each host node that they have.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannan View Post
    It could be, how much they are offering for?
    prices are between 10 to 20$

ok

depends what you mean by overselling of disk space.

1)
    in Xen which i am most familiar with, there is an option called thin provisioning. What that means is that even though you allocate to the the user 100GB. those 100GB are not pre-reservered and instead they are reserved gradually as the user use more disk space.

in the case of thin provisioning the disk space you allocate to the use is the maximum disk the user can use.

Now. if you abuse the thin provisioning you may get in really unpleasant situations (if all your users stated using more disk space than what you planned for, alot of bad things can happen)

If you are accurate about they will not be able to add new disks to the same server and they still oversell disk this much i think they eventually will get in trouble.

the thin provisioning should work as well with kvm as it is standard feature in LVM

2)
    if you mean by overselling that at the end all users can use all the disk space allocated to them i dont think this is possible. because in RAM they can backup the extra oversold ram by real disk space (it will be slow as hell but still possible) but in disk space there is no way to backup the extra space.

Thanks
    XenServer VPS and Cloud VPS
    Extremely cheap Windows and Linux VPS
    https://servarica.com

the speed of VPS accounts will be very slow, as 20 users on 2 HDD is terrible, I know that some people will put even more, but better is quality and stability of service.
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==