Buying name from squatter

There is a domain I want to buy from a domain squatter. I contacted him/her once and they responded. Second contact went unanswered. I've never bid for a name before. Is there some point to using a service from one of the larger registrars to buy a domain? Or should I just keep emailing them? They registered the site with GoDaddy. It is like $69 for that service. hmm..

Thanks,
    Carlos
    Carlos

If you really like the name and you are fine with the asking price, than ok.
    Or register another name of your liking with any registrar, not necessary GoDaddy.

Are they asking for some outrageous price or does it seem reasonable? They may very well just be sitting on a fine collection of domains, charging a fortune for each one, and just hoping some buyers come along and be perfectly willing and able to toss some considerable cash at a few of them.

Also, when quoting the $69 price, are you saying you suspect the owner paid $69 for the domain alone and/or the domain + hosting? Or are you referring to the domain bidding service itself?

The squatter never put out a price. The one time we exchanged emails he/she simply asked what we are willing to pay.

The $69 is a price I see on various registrars sites when a domain is not available. What I mean about that is.... is it at all worth doing?

aka on GoDaddy...
    Domain Buy Service
    $69.99 per domain + commission
    We contact the current owner on your behalf. If it's for sale, we'll do all we can to get it for you!

Domain Back Order
    $20.98 each
    If a name you want is already registered, you can still own it! All backordered domains go to auction, so you have a chance to win it. Others may have also backordered this name, so act now to secure your place in the auction once it expires.
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    The squatter never put out a price. The one time we exchanged emails he/she simply asked what we are willing to pay.

The $69 is a price I see on various registrars sites when a domain is not available. What I mean about that is.... is it at all worth doing?
    The short answer -- Unless securing this domain name is especially important to you, probably not.

In your case, I would considering an in-depth search for alternative domains before proceeding with further research on obtaining this specific domain name. But again, that depends on your level of need/wanting this domain and your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    aka on GoDaddy...
    Domain Buy Service
    $69.99 per domain + commission
    We contact the current owner on your behalf. If it's for sale, we'll do all we can to get it for you!
    Someone approached me once with a low ball offer through GoDaddy's Domain Buy Service. I didn't bother to respond as I couldn't reply or even talk to the broker (GoDaddy) without agreeing to a long legal contract. GoDaddy just sends out an email... they don't "do all we can". In your case the owner hasn't listed the domain for sale... so if you want him to respond then you have to make a serious $,$$$ offer - no low balls.

I'd forget it and move on. Squatters charge an arm and a leg for undeveloped domain. In most cases...

You can try email another time or two if you want. Often times they will have a broker handle things.
    █ █ █

Please check the definition of squatter. A domain owner that owns a large portfolio of names only is a 'squatter' if they infringe on legal rights of others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

If you like and need the name - buy it, if you don't want to spend the money don't. Without knowing the identity of the current owner, we cannot tell you how likely this is to work out. I've bought over 100 domains from prior owners and domain portfolio owners and never had an issue - if I'm not sure about the seller I make sure to use an escrow service when buying.
    DomainCocoon provides technical, development & ICANN accreditation consulting to domain portfolio managers, hosting companies, registrars and resellers.

I would considering an in-depth search for alternative domains
    Actually, the original domain we needed was taken (by current squatter) when our website was launched so an alternative name was used. But it doesn't reflect our name properly, thus I have been asked to attempt to secure the original name we were after.

Info I have on the 'owner' is:
    Registrant Name:Aderemi Dosunmu
    Registrant State/Province:Georgia

Ring a bell?

How about the service where they will 'watch' the domain and if the owner doesn't renew, then they notify you? Otherwise, I either have to wait (a) for him to reply to my email (b) keep checking it.

Thanks,
    Carlos
    Carlos

You mean the domain name expired and was subsequently bought by someone else? While I understand the "squatter" label, that person eventually paid for that domain name and the contract rights that went with it.

Ideally, a backorder service will notify you if the provider obtained the name. You check with that service provider for specifics.

Meanwhile, your only other options are to continue communicating with the new owner for a mutually-agreeable price...or you seek legal advice.