View Poll Results: Will you cancel customers who complain here or elsewhere?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mark him as problematic/risky schedule for: (cancel+refund without reason)

4 7.69%
  • Welcome as a sign to improve, if found legit: schedule to elevate staff/system/network

36 69.23%
  • Treat as just normal ticket.. went public, solve & nothing to do with customer/staff

18 34.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will you cancel customers who complain here, or elsewhere?

cant delete this post

[Mod edit: The thread starter changed his mind and decided to leave this thread here. See post #13. The original post had the poll choices, which you can see in the poll.]
    Last edited by writespeak; 12-17-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Talking about bad review?

Though it is very annoying seeing a bad review about your website, we all have come to accept and live with it the WHT is the place where disgruntle clients can go and raise a red flag about a host or some aspects about a host they don't like.

Surprisingly experience hosts know how to handle that with care. Even when bad you can turn a bad complain to a good one.

There is no need to cancel the clients account if you can clearly prove the problem is not coming from your side but that of the client.
    █▌ Cheapest Domain Registration Service & Shared Hosting Solutions .
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,Monero, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, Crypto.
    █▌ Instant Domain Name Registration - Over 700+ Extensions x3reg.com!

Did you change your mind?

If someone does that, he does not deserve to be a provider and should be a shame for the industry.
    That is very childish / immature.
    If customer is not happy and he complains publicly - try to handle it with care, make the customer happy, protect your image. If you are really to blame for the customer's complaint suck it up, take a note and try to improve for the future.
    If you are not to blame and customer has his own reasons to complain, try to handle it politically.
    I would rather refund an unhappy customer, even outside the money back guarantee period, than cancel.
    Last edited by iClickAndHost; 12-10-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Customer feedback is always good...if u get it anywhere...here or else where
    You won't stop improving .
    And good businessmen always handle it with care

No, however we've had several customers that say 'do this or else I'll post a negative review on WHT about you'

We gently let those customers find a new home for their website...

Terminate them on the spot? No. Politely advise them that they need to find an alternative provider before the end of their current billing cycle as we're obviously not the right fit for them - sure.

If you write a negative review about your provider - why are you still with them? If they're bad enough to motivate you to come to WHT and complain - you should find a better provider that fits your needs.

No provider is perfect for every user, every need, and every situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    Apparently.

But I think it's a worthy discussion just the same. However, I doubt any host would publicly admit to such practices.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    Apparently.

But I think it's a worthy discussion just the same. However, I doubt any host would publicly admit to such practices.
    I am more than happy to publicly admit to advising somebody they should find a solution that will fit their needs better if our solutions do not do so adequately.

At the end of the day I'd rather see the user on a service that fits their needs than have them stay with us and be unhappy if that's the case.

I've even been known to make suggestions/recommendations to customers on their way out as to good places that may fit their needs and offered to help them transfer out if they need it.

If a customer wants to leave - there's no reason to make it difficult on them. The easier you make it - the more likely they are to reconsider your services in the future should their needs change or they find out the grass really isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    If someone does that, he does not deserve to be a provider and should be a shame for the industry.
    If customer is not happy and he complains publicly - try to handle it with care, make the customer happy, protect your image. If you are really to blame for the customer's complaint suck it up, take a note and try to improve for the future.
    If you are not to blame and customer has his own reasons to complain, try to handle it politically.
    I would rather refund an unhappy customer, even outside the money back guarantee period, than cancel.

You would be surprised the handful of hosts (a few on here) that will terminate your account, ignore you or block your IP if you say something bad about them.

My rule...if a host/provider has driven you to the point of wanting to leave and you HAVE been either patient and or tried asking for help numerous times;

1. quietly backup everything and move
    2. quietly save all correspondences (tickets, emails, chat, etc)
    3. when your site(s) are on the new host and everything is working out, PUBLICLY EMBARRASS THEM!!!

If they hijack/terminate your account....who cares, your already gone. If they try to one-side the story...you have everything you need to prove them wrong.

It's funny reading such threads with hosts from small to large, back-peddling trying to save the customer and offering the world, and the response is "thanks for all those offers, but I've moved to ####### and they are much better".

Complaints and negative reviews become part of every business; now matter how great your service is, eventually someone is going to feel very differently. If a client is dissatisfied or mistaken about a certain aspect of the service he receives, there's no reason to pull out any threats in response. That's almost always going to be unprofessional and seen as horrible customer service.

If, on the other hand, the client is blatantly lying with malicious intent, I think that warrants some retaliation. Depending on the circumstances, immediately "canceling" the client may not be the best recourse. However, proving clear details and proof to the community showing that the client's claim is false and/or behavior is inappropriate is always fair game.

I think the way MikeDVB explained there process is the proper way to handle these types of scenarios. However, I would never condone the immediate cancellation (or deletion) of a clients account due to something posted on a public forum (something I have sadly seen here on WHT many times). Which is why its always best to back-up, move your service, before complaining about your service on a public forum. Every situation is different, but I always believe the provider should always take the higher road (which sometimes means graciously showing the client the door).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gingir View Post
    yes!..
    I postponed it.. and reported for removal..
    but now... with all these great inputs.. cannot ask removal..
    I - again - changed my mind and included the poll also

Thumbs up a WHT webinar for "Skills for Handling Public Complaints"? possible?

Quote Originally Posted by kambone View Post
    very responsible by-the-book practice.

It only takes good anger control. and mature perspective on dealing with criticism and complaints.

Is there any webinar that WHT can give on "Skills for Handling Public Complaints", either for free or for a fee, for providers?

and also: "Skills for Successful Public Complaints" for web hosting users..

I think this way we save both sides from all public-complaining side-effects?
    Last edited by hostquality; 12-10-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    If you write a negative review about your provider - why are you still with them? If they're bad enough to motivate you to come to WHT and complain - you should find a better provider that fits your needs.

No provider is perfect for every user, every need, and every situation.
    well...
    many many times people come here for what?

- No answer from the company.. for hours or days
    particularly when their server/account is: down/deactivated/suspended.. etc.

Hoping if they made this "here" there will be "someone" from the company or a friend of them, found about, contact them, and: they answer.

I think it's "The reason".. behind %70 or more of the complaints here? right?

not because "the whole service" is not workable for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    However, I doubt any host would publicly admit to such practices.
    That's why I unchecked the option of revealing names of poll participants.

go participate then

we need to know, then improve ourselves..

I've even been known to make suggestions/recommendations to customers on their way out as to good places that may fit their needs and offered to help them transfer out if they need it.
    that's an ideal practice. great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    You would be surprised the handful of hosts (a few on here) that will terminate your account, ignore you or block your IP if you say something bad about them.

My rule...if a host/provider has driven you to the point of wanting to leave and you HAVE been either patient and or tried asking for help numerous times;

1. quietly backup everything and move
    2. quietly save all correspondences (tickets, emails, chat, etc)
    3. when your site(s) are on the new host and everything is working out, PUBLICLY EMBARRASS THEM!!!

If they hijack/terminate your account....who cares, your already gone. If they try to one-side the story...you have everything you need to prove them wrong.

It's funny reading such threads with hosts from small to large, back-peddling trying to save the customer and offering the world, and the response is "thanks for all those offers, but I've moved to ####### and they are much better".
    Unfortunately...
    but users/customers - even if they are providers at the same time - give good faith.. do not expect hit in the back.. with the all-time savior:
    "go read the TOS, it says we can do it, trouble-maker!"

Quote Originally Posted by hostquality View Post
    - No answer from the company.. for hours or days
    particularly when their server/account is: down/deactivated/suspended.. etc.
    If we're being realistic here and you take into account the 'other side of the coin' -> many come here and complain due to unrealistic expectations or impatience.

I've seen tons of threads where the person opened a thread here on WHT before even contacting their provider and giving them a chance to resolve the issue.

That said - I only was speaking to the specific situation where a customer writes a negative review while still actively using a service. If they want to write a bad review - that's well within their rights - but it's also within the rights of the provider to discontinue the user's service. There are good ways to do it and bad ways - shutting them off immediately for the bad review isn't the best way to handle it but it is one way to handle it.

My alternative to contact them and politely inform them that due to their negative review their plan will not be renewing at the end of their current cycle and they will need to find alternative hosting. This, imho, is the best way to handle it short of simply leaving the whole issue alone and allowing that user to continue to wallow in unhappiness.

Hoping if they made this "here" there will be "someone" from the company or a friend of them, found about, contact them, and: they answer.
    More often than not when a user has to resort to coming to WHT to get something done - it's because the host is terrible and nothing is going to change that. A host that is terrible is unlikely to see a thread on WHT and go, 'Oh my! We must make this person happy to save our reputation!' When you have a bad reputation as-is you aren't very likely to defend said reputation.

In short: if you sign up for a cheap host based upon how cheap it is - you'll likely get what you pay for. Complaining on WHT about isn't likely to cause the terrible provider to do anything although it may save others from the same fate.

I think it's "The reason".. behind %70 or more of the complaints here? right?
    I'd say more like 69%, maybe 71%? You can't throw out arbitrary percentages to make your point. If you've done real statistical analysis of the WHT and positive/negative reviews - by all means post it up. If not - don't make things up randomly to prove your point. If you have evidence present it - if not, don't make it up.

not because "the whole service" is not workable for them.
    Now you're assuming the content of arbitrary non-existent reviews. Who is to say that the negative review submitted by the customer, while still an active customer, isn't due to unrealistic expectations or simply trying to do more than is possible with the account [i.e. a site too big for shared hosting as an example]? Sure - it could be the host is terrible even though the service was workable. It could be that the host was excellent and the service just wasn't a good fit just as easily.

I guess when you browse WHT regularly and see all of the negative reviews of terrible hosts that fail to respond you will become fairly jaded by the negative reviews you're likely to see. WHT is a market that tends to cater to those only willing to pay pennies and expecting the world by and large. Sure - there are exceptions - but the generalization is fairly accurate.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the negative review says or why it existed. If you were an active customer of mine and you wrote a negative review of the service while the service was active - we would not renew your plan. Just as you can choose not to renew a hosting plan - the provider can make the same decision. We would, at the least, allow you to continue the service until the end of your cycle and/or pro-rate a refund for you to a time in the near future to allow you to find a new host and conduct a migration without going offline and without losing money on a service you cannot use.
    Last edited by Mike - MDDHosting; 12-10-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Unfortunately...
    but users/customers - even if they are providers at the same time - give good faith.. do not expect hit in the back.. with the all-time savior:
    "go read the TOS, it says we can do it, trouble-maker!"
    If you walked up to one of your provider's employees and punched them in the face - would you expect them to keep you on-board as a customer?

If you write a negative review - you're doing the same thing but instead of damaging a person's face you're damaging the business' reputation.

That said - any provider cognizant of their reputation would not take steps that they know will further damage their reputation. Cutting an unhappy user loose is likely to do this if not handled properly.

It seems to me that over time there have been an increasing number of WHT reviews that are nothing short of an extortion attempt by a user to circumvent a policy of their provider.

On the other hand, I find honest feedback very valuable. It lets me know what my company is doing correctly and what we can improve upon. I wouldn't cancel a user for providing their honest feedback, so long as they also communicate with us directly any issues they have and allow us the ability to resolve those issues.

A user who attempts what I like to call review extortion or who refuses to use proper support channels is not a user who we would choose to do business with. In either case, if they are terminated it is because they aren't communicating with us properly so the relationship can't be mutually beneficial to both parties.

If you walked up to one of your provider's employees and punched them in the face - would you expect them to keep you on-board as a customer?

If you write a negative review - you're doing the same thing but instead of damaging a person's face you're damaging the business' reputation.

That said - any provider cognizant of their reputation would not take steps that they know will further damage their reputation. Cutting an unhappy user loose is likely to do this if not handled properly.
    Some clients who jump on online websites and post negative reviews do not even think how it would affect the business' reputation and the living of several people.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    Some clients who jump on online websites and post negative reviews do not even think how it would affect the business' reputation and the living of several people.
    The same for butt hurt providers who go around leaving phoney reviews in order to try ruin the reputation of there competitors. There will always be such trife maybe once the government steps in and starts to regulate the industry we'll see a drop of these type of people.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    The same for butt hurt providers who go around leaving phoney reviews in order to try ruin the reputation of there competitors. There will always be such trife maybe once the government steps in and starts to regulate the industry we'll see a drop of these type of people.
    If you think government regulation is going to solve the problems the hosting industry faces you need to lay off of the Kool-Aid. In short: The industry needs to self-regulate.

Regardless of regulation - unscrupulous people will do unscrupulous things be it a customer or a provider.

We've had a bad review here, and we've just let it be in the past, the customer was upset and angry or could of woke up on the wrong side of the bed, business is business so we do our best to help our customers unless they get too big for their boots and use very heavy bad language. Otherwise they are our customer until they leave and we treat them like a customer.
    Last edited by Atlanical-Mike; 12-10-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast