Which Browser-Based Business Email Do You Use?

Greetings Folks,

I am tired of being tied to my desktop (Thunderbird) to access my business email.

I am seeking a robust browser-based email service for my personal business use (not for my hosting customers) and invite your suggestions.

I am already aware of the following:

1. cPanel Web Mail (cumbersome and inelegant)

2. Google Apps for Business

3. MS Exchange (Yuk)

What do you use for your own business Email?

Are you using a browser-based service?

Are you satisfied with it?

Mike.

I actually prefer Thunderbird over any browser based service. For mobile I like to use k9 mail.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneZSolutions View Post
    I actually prefer Thunderbird over any browser based service. For mobile I like to use k9 mail.
    Not very helpful !

Please make suggestions as per my OP - not just to massage your signature

Well, I'd generally use Google Apps, but I have had a good experience with Polaris ( https://www.polarismail.com/ ). The service they offer is great for the price.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Very Old Geezer View Post
    Not very helpful !
    Please make suggestions as per my OP - not just to massage your signature
    Pretty sure he didn't deserve that response.
    He posted an alternative to web/browser based mail, perhaps thinking you hadn't considered that. Web/browser based mail while away from your desk implies an internet connection and a web browser, so why not something like Gmail? Though I don't really like keeping so much info about my browsing habits and email with one provider, if I had no other reasonable means of communication, it's the first one I'd consider.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Pretty sure he didn't deserve that response.
    He posted an alternative to web/browser based mail, perhaps thinking you hadn't considered that. Web/browser based mail while away from your desk implies an internet connection and a web browser, so why not something like Gmail? Though I don't really like keeping so much info about my browsing habits and email with one provider, if I had no other reasonable means of communication, it's the first one I'd consider.
    I wasn't attempting to be offensive.

Nevertheless, it is a common tactic with some sections of the membership to do just that: massage (advertise) a signature, without providing any meaningful input.

However, I could have been less clumsy.

Moreover, I tried to be very specific about my requirements to eliminate suggestions that don't match my query.

For example: I gave a list of those services that I was aware of, and was seeking others that are not listed therein.

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike Very Old Geezer; 12-10-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    Well, I'd generally use Google Apps, but I have had a good experience with Polaris ( https://www.polarismail.com/ ). The service they offer is great for the price.
    Thank you for your suggestion of Polarismail. I will add that to my list.

Mike.

Take a look on AtMail. Although it is quite expensive, it is a pretty complete piece of software.

Quote Originally Posted by culthost View Post
    squirelmail is good to use on browser
    Thank you for your suggestion. Squirelmail is usually bundled with cPanel for webmail.

However, I already stated that I was aware of cPanel Webmail, which is inelegant and cumbersome.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by v33usa View Post
    Take a look on AtMail. Although it is quite expensive, it is a pretty complete piece of software.
    Isn't that a self-hosted server-based platform that is a commercial replacement for the likes of Horde and Squirril in cPanel etc ? I'll take a look.

With Thanks,

Mike.

Webmail Lite is a nice alternative. It has a nice ajax interface to it.
    Webhostpython.com - Reliable Shared, Reseller, and KVM VPS Hosting Services.
    Dual Octa Core Xeon E5 Servers. RAID10 Storage. Enterprise DDOS Protection. Pure SSD Plans
    24/7 Support | Live Chat | In-House Support Staff | 1-800-929-9061 | Dallas, TX

Isn't that a self-hosted server-based platform that is a commercial replacement for the likes of Horde and Squirril in cPanel etc ? I'll take a look.

With Thanks,

Mike.
    Kind of, you don't actually need the AtMail server, you can just install it on a site like you would install any other php script, and make it connect to your IMAP/SMTP server on the settings.

But for its price though, and for only one email account, I think it is better to just get a business email account at Rackspace, or on Gmail/Google Apps.

Lightbulb

Greetings Folks,

I am tired of being tied to my desktop (Thunderbird) to access my business email.

I am seeking a robust browser-based email service for my personal business use (not for my hosting customers) and invite your suggestions.

I am already aware of the following:

1. cPanel Web Mail (cumbersome and inelegant)

2. Google Apps for Business

3. MS Exchange (Yuk)

What do you use for your own business Email?

Are you using a browser-based service?

Are you satisfied with it?

Mike.
    Hello Mike,

Why don't you like MS Exchange?

Personally I have been looking into SmarterMail, which is an 'Exchange' based platform. But it looks to have a nice looking webmail interface Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webmail-server.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	27094.

The only problem however is they are the software provider, and you will have to host it yourself, or find a host that supplies SmarterMail based e-mail.

What I like about an Exchange based server, is the collaboration between users and even yourself. You can use it on your desktop (or webmail or phone), things you do on that like editing contacts, calendar, notes etc are all reflected on your mobile phone, webmail etc live and instantly. Even on your phone itself, if you add a new contact, said contact will also show in your mails contact list.

SmarterMail will also allow you to create attachments that don't send through the mail server, meaning the reciever on the other end clicks the link of your attachment and downloads it directly from your server, which removes a lot of load from the mail server end.

Anyway, take a look at it. I'm definitely thinking about setting up such a server for not just myself but for business use. Perhaps in the future when I've got enough $$$ to invest I may provide such a service along with the web hosting.

http://www.smartertools.com/smarterm...-software.aspx

Regards,
    Samuel ML Lison

I did a quick search for you, and I see one provider offering SmarterMail hosting starting at I think $4.99 + $2.99 per additional user you wish to add to your package. You also get to use your own domain.

I'm not sure on their reputation and would suggest you do a search on your own for reviews and what not, or they may be here on WHT and willing to talk.

GreenTree Hosting

Also there is HostMySite and they have even a demo of the webmail interface you can try here.

Regards,
    Samuel ML Lison

Quote Originally Posted by SamLison View Post
    I did a quick search for you, and I see one provider offering SmarterMail hosting starting at I think $4.99 + $2.99 per additional user you wish to add to your package. You also get to use your own domain.

I'm not sure on their reputation and would suggest you do a search on your own for reviews and what not, or they may be here on WHT and willing to talk.

GreenTree Hosting

Also there is HostMySite and they have even a demo of the webmail interface you can try here.

Regards,
    Samuel ML Lison

Exchange is not what I seek.

Thank you for taking the trouble for me Sam,

I switched to Zimbra in 2012, and haven't looked back since. The Webmail interface is the most functional out of any other product I've tried.

I can't stand Outlook/Exchange, or any type of desktop client for that matter. I needed my email to be the same experience regardless of location and PC. Administration is pretty easy, and has all the bells and whistles you would expect it to have.

Zimbra was owned by VMware but was recently sold to Telligent Systems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zimbra.png  
    Last edited by Eased; 12-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eased View Post

I can't stand Outlook/Exchange, or any type of desktop client for that matter. I needed my email to be the same experience regardless of location and PC. Administration is pretty easy, and has all the bells and whistles you would expect it to have.
    Couldn't agree more !

A colleague had the Exchange suite installed in his IT department, and his experience with it was awful. He too is looking to replace his email service with one that works well, regardless of location - as indeed, am I.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll take a look.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Eased View Post
    I switched to Zimbra in 2012, and haven't looked back since. The Webmail interface is the most functional out of any other product I've tried.

Zimbra was owned by VMware but was recently sold to Telligent Systems.
    Zimbra is not what I seek, because it is an self-hosted server-side Application.

I seek suggestions/recommendations for business email service, not an application that has to be installed into ones own server and accessed via cPanel, etc.

For example: Rackspace Email Service, Gmail for Business, etc etc etc.

With Thanks,

Mike.

Hi,

Some options are

1) Domain live from Microsoft(Outlook.com)
    2) Office 365 from Mircrosoft
    3) Zoho mail
    4) Yahoo mail for business.
    There is a good list in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...mail_providers

Office 365
    google apps for buisness
    yahoo buisness

MS Exchange, with Outlook as the desktop client. I rarely ever use the web service though, as I either deal with e-mail on my desktop (where using Outlook is just simpler), or through my phone (where it's an added account). The service itself is Office 365 Business.

Quote Originally Posted by fabxhost View Post
    Office 365
    google apps for buisness
    yahoo buisness
    Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    MS Exchange, with Outlook as the desktop client. I rarely ever use the web service though, as I either deal with e-mail on my desktop (where using Outlook is just simpler), or through my phone (where it's an added account). The service itself is Office 365 Business.
    This is a 2 year old thread!
    Nobody looks any more!
    ☆☆☆ Miss Names - Cool domain names for sale! - MissNames.com☆☆☆

☆☆☆ Find a new pet for your home ... Find a new home for your pet - WeGotPets.com☆☆☆

Gargh, was fooled by the last post!

I use Thunderbird and webmail but I am not satisfied with both.

Both are crap.
    Dewlance® Cheap Windows VPS - Chicago/Orlando/Vegas/AZ - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    Super Cheap Annually Shared Hosting - Canada/US/UK