Seeking advice: temporary DIY Web server from a Windows terminal

In 2014, we're going to move from our static site to a CMS. Later this year, we'll choose a host based on the CMS we've picked and its requirements.

Because our business model depends on offering reliable Wi-Fi (we're a public library), we have a very robust Internet connection. When you order that level of service from our regional provider (Cablevision), the package comes with 5 dedicated IP addresses. So I own five IP addresses that are not currently in use.

While I'm developing (i.e. messing around with) different CMS installs, I don't have any need to pay a host if I don't have to. I'd just as soon attach a Windows terminal with 500 GB internal to my router, partition it into a few chunks, register a few domain names, and have several sites I can play around with - including installing different options, soliciting input from the staff members who'll eventually be putting in data, and learning how it interacts via ODBC with our in-house database (FileMaker Server). I don't know how difficult it would be to install stuff like MySQL and PHP on my homebrewed Web server.

Also, I don't plan to eventually become my own Web host. We have a budget for a host, and I don't want to start doing back end maintenance on email, virus protection, et c. If this is easy, I might eventually keep the terminal as some kind of support server (such as image storage, or secure storage of documents scanned by our patrons, whatnot).

SO MY QUESTION IS: please offer any insight about how easy/difficult it will be for me to attach a Windows desktop to my modem. (I don't want to learn Unix/Linux for this task - the goal here is to save resources and work around my limitations.)

I;m posting this on a few different web hosting message boards.

Check out by Softaculous.
    One install for everything you need.

(This has nothing to do with securing your server and hardening the applications running on it.)
    ☆☆☆ Miss Names - Cool domain names for sale! -☆☆☆

☆☆☆ Find a new pet for your home ... Find a new home for your pet -☆☆☆