Recommendations for a Wordpress Hosting Solution?

Hello, first time poster, yada yada yada....

I currently use a shared hosting plan from Hostgator for my Wordpress blog. My site is viewable at djrichiep dot com. I share my record collection with interested readers. Yesterday, Hostgator blocked access to the folder where all my files are served, stating "that this is not a CPU or Bandwidth issue, but a traffic issue". Thus rendering my site basically useless.

So, I'm looking for advice. Now, I know, my site is large, the FLAC files I provide are quite large. I'm a bit confused as to why the problem wouldn't be CPU or Bandwidth based vice traffic but, it is what it is and they've taken the steps they felt they needed to take.

So, is there shared hosting out there that would host a blog like mine without dinging me for download traffic? I am in the US, I currently pay about $110 per year for hosting. If I can stay within the range of $100-$200 per year I can continue to keep my blog online. Hostgator is trying to push me towards a dedicated server solution but, a basic package is $174 per MONTH, not year. No way I can afford that.

So, I'm open to recommendations and I appreciate any responses that may come.

-djrichiep-

Have you considered hosting your download files on Google Drive or Dropbox? A web host is seldom tolerant towards serving file hosting.
    LIMENEX WEB HOSTING
    Affordable High Performance Web Hosting in United States & United Kingdom
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS | Managed Dedicated Servers | Cheap SSL Certificates

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    Unless you are using a ton of disk space, you shouldn't need a dedicated server. What amount of disk space are you currently using?

Find a respectable host that meets your disk space and bandwidth needs and you'll likely be fine.
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Not sure what a ton of disk space equates to, I am currently using somewhere between 200GB to 300GB of space for files and that continually increases each day, week, month as I post. That probably qualifies as a ton?

@JFSG, I have not considered either Google or Dropbox, I assume they have paid plans? Once my files are there, am I able to provide URL links directly to individual files? Am I able to keep users from simply accessing my account at those services, and just cruising around and downloading anything they want? You know, without having to come to my blog in order to get the file(s) they want?

Quote Originally Posted by djrichiep View Post
    I have not considered either Google or Dropbox, I assume they have paid plans?
    Yes, they have paid plans.

Once my files are there, am I able to provide URL links directly to individual files?
    Yes.

Am I able to keep users from simply accessing my account at those services, and just cruising around and downloading anything they want? You know, without having to come to my blog in order to get the file(s) they want?
    As far as I know you can modify the settings to restrict people from accessing your file folders.

But even if you do decide to host your files on dropbox/google drive, I'd suggest that you transfer to another host as soon as you can. Avoid EIG companies (bluehost, hostgator, ipage, etc.)

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    heh - yes, that qualifies as a ton. You're not likely going to be a shared hosting candidate with that sort of disk usage.

You could consider a cheap dedicated server and use it just for your download storage or maybe something like Google Drive as mentioned above, but - with that large of disk storage it's going to be costly. You might be able to find a VPS that offers big disk space, but chances are it's going to be pretty costly as well.

Check out SoftLayers Xpress servers - pretty good deal with lots of disk space for future growth.

edit: Google Drive is actually pretty cheap. You can get 1TB for $50/Mo. If you can make that work for your needs that would seem like a good way to go to save some money.
    Last edited by Crucial Web Host; 12-07-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Hello yada yada

Vinyl...nice. I used to dj for many years, but for now I will keep the topic related to the topic, but downloadable music files, depending on what format, which you mentioned flacc can be an issue. Mp3's would be easier to deal with, but I already the musical reasons why an mp3 would be frowned upon.

I'm only going to guess that the possible issue was the amount of files or HG thinking your using the account as file storage which is not allowed (although some say their able to do this, but I remember the TOS stating it's not allowed and an account can be cancelled).

Depending on your level of working WordPress and uploading files, look into storing your files on a VPS and the download links on your WordPress site. Many vps services allow users to use accounts for either file storage or backing up files.

How much gb's are the music files altogether.

***** and a side note...HG was sold and the service has degraded, so it can also be a factor in the overall equation *****

@illegit Yes, I have become quite aware of EIG and their quickly deteriorating reputation. It is on my agenda to get away from them, soon. It may wind up that I shutter the site and walk away from blogging. Costs are looking to be too prohibitive for a site that does not generate any revenue, I do all this as a free service with a small amount of donations, by small, I really mean small.

Hello 48-14. Well, when I signed up with HG, moving from GoDaddy (I can really pick'em can't I?), I talked with them, explained what I was doing and it was greenlighted at that time. I understand a lot has changed since then.

As I look around at other options of paid file storage/serving costs, it appears I'm looking at close to $1000 or more per year. My poor little old blog generates no revenue and my poor little old pocketbook is not that deep. Beginning to look like I'm either going to have to shutter the site or delete my archive and only share a record for a limited time.

I looked at your site, cool BUT I have a thought that would elaborate on my previous, and another point that relates to the music....(as I take off my hosting hat for a moment)....

How are allowing downloads of music? Technically that is not allowed unless you owned the publishing or are the copyright holder of the music your allowing to be downloaded.

This topic does goes both ways;

1. stick it to the big record labels and allow independent artists to distribute their music freely around the globe to gain global fans...something that couldn't be done years ago. They take a financial hit on the production, but can gain success through digital distributions and shows. Chuck D has been an advocate of this for many years since mp3 were created, and over time this has worked for many....mp3/youtube sensations turned famous.

2. the artists that your allowing to be downloaded are not independents, thus have marketing and production resources that need to be recouped through sales and the big boys have gone after sites allowing this....remember Napster.

Please enlighten me on this one. If #1 applies, the HG could have politely disabled your folder to avoid copyright issues/lawsuits, which ALL hosts will have issues with.

Hello again 48-14,
    Yes, your points are all valid. I make a strong effort to only post records that are no longer in print and not available for purchase any longer. Am I operating in a grey area? Possibly. Could it be pushed to say I'm not? Yes, definitely. These records have not been pressed for sale in many many years. I've never been asked to take records down by anyone involved with the artists, record companies or publishing companies. I've even had a couple of artists contact me to thank me for breathing a little life into an old record that most people would have never seen again. I'm not militant about my "right" to do this. If it were ever requested of me by a legal rep of any of these artists or record labels to take something down, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    edit: Google Drive is actually pretty cheap. You can get 1TB for $50/Mo. If you can make that work for your needs that would seem like a good way to go to save some money.
    Actually, looking at the prices, I could probably fit into the 400GB package right now for $19.99 per month. I could probably raise $240 from my readers to buy a full year up front. Nice catch, I will further investigate this.

Sadly it is a grey area that will never defined, but as the years go, even major artists have embraced "free" music. We ran into that issue years ago and decided to giveaway our music as a marketing tool....but it was our music.

I've seen record stores raided due to making a ton of $$$$ from bootlegs that the artist would never see, but as you mentioned, some artists love dj's or music lovers for continuing life in their music, and in some cases generating a new fan base and a resurgence of their career.

Even if a song has stopped selling or is not available for sale, there is still ownership to it. As some would joke, labels loved dead artists because the label could re-release the music and license it all over the place and make even more $$$$$....money the artist would never see or negotiate.

But even in this debate, youtube is the biggest "music sharing" site out there....so if you are looking into storage, you could get a few storage site or vps's. A good option would be a few unmagaged vps's...more space/resources for less, but you would have to take care of updates and security.