View Poll Results: Do you offer FrontPage Extensions?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 12.77%
  • No

41 87.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Offer FrontPage Extensions

We've been continuing to offer FrontPage support as we have clients that have been with us over a decade and they use it. However, we are finally dumping Plesk 9 and moving up to Plesk 11 which has no native support.

I know cPanel can support it but until now we haven't bothered as cPanel servers host our newer clients who don't use this antiquated technology.

I'm considering spinning up a cPanel VM just to host these FrontPage clients that will lose the functionality on these Plesk migrations. But a part of me wants to shoot FrontPage in the head. This software is a zombie and only a head shot will kill it.

Would like to hear your thoughts on FrontPage.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Just teach them how to use web_Dav

Just FYI Cpanel is dropping FrontPage finally FP has only been dead (EOL) for 7 years now

Head shot, long ago.
    * GeekStorage.com - Offering awesome website hosting for over 13 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Virtual Private Servers * Dedicated Servers
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    Just teach them how to use web_Dav

Just FYI Cpanel is dropping FrontPage finally FP has only been dead (EOL) for 7 years now
    Is there a resource detailing this? Any press release or article?

Yes, we still offer it but not a single customer of ours uses it.

Just letting you know you're not alone with this. Anytime we've accidentally broken something with Frontpage extensions the tickets start flooding in. We fix it tell users they need to stop relying on it and it goes to deaf ears. I'm not sure what they're going to do when even cpanel won't support it.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Hello Laurence, cPanel will remove Front-Page support by the end of this year. Please read http://blog.cpanel.net/impending-end...syapache-team/ for more details

Sent to all cpanel partners

==============================
    cPanel, Inc. tentatively plans to release a new version of EasyApache on December 9, 2013. This version will include the removal of Apache 1.3/2.0, PHP 5.2, and mod_frontpage. As mentioned in Introducing EasyApache's Optimal Profiles, these End of Life items will no longer be available in EasyApache.

These items will be removed for the following reasons:

- They are no longer supported by their respective developers.
    - They include known CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures).
    - EasyApache provides the most up-to-date, supported versions of Apache (2.2/2.4) and PHP (5.4/5.5).

Keep in mind that viable alternatives to mod_frontpage exist, such as WebDAV and FTP. Also, PHP 5.2 and mod_frontpage will be available as custom modules ("opt mods").
    ======================

Thanks for the info guys. I see that mod_frontpage will still be available as a Custom Module in Easy Apache. So it will exist. I guess that will be an option for us.

No we don't haha.

Quote Originally Posted by NexDog View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I see that mod_frontpage will still be available as a Custom Module in Easy Apache. So it will exist. I guess that will be an option for us.
    Yes, but discourage your customers from using them and move as much of them away from it. Because providing such an unsupported, outdated piece of code may create some headache in future. Also don't know whether the Front-page related options will persists in cPanel after they drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    Head shot, long ago.
    This.

At my day job we had a few users who insisted on using FPSE. Up until recently we were able to support it, but once we migrated some servers to 2008 R2 we decided to can it. They publish now either via UNC or FTP.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    In 3 months the last patches for FP will have been 10 years ago !
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

We lost a few clients when we pulled support for Frontpage about 4 years ago and we gained a lot less support requests to boot!

All things considered, was a good decision.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

"If it isn't broken, then don't fix it."

In other words, if Frontpage is still available and being used, then what is the problem to leave it alone? Why remove it if customers are still using it?

Most of our customers don't like being told to learn new things, and they will complain (and move) if we remove frontpage from their server. With the cost of customer acquisition these days, I don't see the point in purposely and knowingly upsetting these customers.

If (when) Frontpage actually becomes a serious security problem to a server's stability, then of course we will remove it. Until then, however, I see no reason to take it away from existing servers.

(Of course, our newer servers don't have frontpage.)

My 2 cents.
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

No, we don't support it. I think even cPanel doesn't support it now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Why remove it if customers are still using it?
    Because it's been dead for years now. Microsoft canned the project over 7 years ago.

Not liking to change is never an excuse to just simply continue using software that is outdate.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    Because it's been dead for years now. Microsoft canned the project over 7 years ago.

Not liking to change is never an excuse to just simply continue using software that is outdate.
    If it still works, then I'm not seeing the problem. There no current (major) security issues with it, so it's not a risk to run on the server.

Change only for the sake of change is not a good way to keep customers happy. I'm in this business to make money, not to force customers to use what I think they should be using.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I can't believe there are hosts who even support this. These are customers I'd drop. Give them 30-90 days notice since it was EOL'ed like 7 years ago. That's like still making sure your website works for IE 5.x or Netscape (because even before the EOL no one used FP for 2-5 years).

While we currently still support the extensions via cPanel, I'm really hoping we can wean the small percentage of FP customers we have to other options and not use the custom modules on the shared servers.
    [B]Scott M

We have decided to drop support for FP on Windows Hosting as soon as the last 2003 servers are updated to 2008 (as there is no 2008 support for FP anyhow). We will run FP on one cPanel server only and have alredt started migrating FP using clients to that server from Plesk servers that are getting 11.5 upgrades. There aren't many, about 6 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    I can't believe there are hosts who even support this. These are customers I'd drop. Give them 30-90 days notice since it was EOL'ed like 7 years ago. That's like still making sure your website works for IE 5.x or Netscape (because even before the EOL no one used FP for 2-5 years).
    Dear customer,

It has come to our attention that your website uses old "frontpage" software that we don't like. And to make this matter worse, you have designed your website to be compatible with IE 5 and Netscape! This is horrible and we do not want you as our customer any more. You have 30 days to give your money to another host who doesn't care as much as us about your technical incompetance.

Sincerely,

Your friendly host who has no business sense.

PS - Yes, we understand that the old frontpage software has no known security problems and is not actually a problem for our servers. But it's old. And so it shouldn't be used. There's newer better stuff that you should spend your hard earned money to purchase and your time to learn.

I agree Zippy. We wonly adopted this policy as we were forced to by Plesk which no longer supports FP. But will continue to be happy to offer it with cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    Your friendly host who has no business sense.
    Keeping things up to date shows just the opposite. You go on, go ahead and keep on supporting outdated crap like FP, the rest of the world (including the MAJORITY of FP users) have moved on already.

If a customer is still using software that has been EOL for 7 years, it's a clear sign that they are not a customer you want. These are the people that refuse to actually listen to common sense and update their software. These are the people that bring in malware, etc, because they just can't be bothered to update sites like WP, Joomla, etc, because it's "too difficult".

Let 'em go, they'll learn eventually.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Keeping things up to date shows just the opposite. You go on, go ahead and keep on supporting outdated crap like FP, the rest of the world (including the MAJORITY of FP users) have moved on already.
    And we'll "move on" from frontpage when we have no customers who are using frontpage, or when there is a security problem with it. Until then, forcing a paying customer to leave or spend their time/effort/money to learn something new... for no reason other than it's outdated... is not so smart from a business standpoint. (ie: When you're in business to receive revenue.)

If a customer is still using software that has been EOL for 7 years, it's a clear sign that they are not a customer you want.
    Really? The sign of a customer I don't want is if they don't agree with me about using old software? Funny. I thought it would be more like if they don't pay, or if they use excessive server resources or take up too much support time. You know.. the things that actually cost my business money.

These are the people that refuse to actually listen to common sense and update their software. These are the people that bring in malware, etc, because they just can't be bothered to update sites like WP, Joomla, etc, because it's "too difficult".
    Why would a frontpage user be using joomla or wp, or other software? They're using frontpage to manage their site. I argue the opposite of what you are saying. Frontpage users are content to have their crappy old website that needs crappy old frontpage. I can't even think of a single frontpage customer that has ever had malware or any other problem that actually took our time to resolve. It's the opposite of what you're saying. The one's who we don't like are the one's who quit using frontpage, replaced their site with "new" joomla, wordpress or whatever... and then never updated it again.

Anyway... we can argue about this all day, but again, I see no business related reason to remove frontpage from our servers. Unless there is a security related issue, then it just doesn't make sense to purposely upset paying customers for no reason other than "it's old".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast