Exclamation What is normal cpu load for shared hosting ?

i have a website on shared hosting but its very slow. it is static HTML CSS. i saw CPU load is 20 (8 cpus) and a warning icon [!], does this affect site performance ?

it certainly does the server is overloaded
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Yes, the server is overloaded enough to slow down all services on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    it certainly does the server is overloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    Yes, the server is overloaded enough to slow down all services on it.
    What makes you say that?

CPU load 20 on an 8 CPU server is overloaded or what?

CPU load 20 on an 8 CPU server is overloaded or what?
    It's virtually impossible to tell without logging into the server but the load average is never a true reflection anyway a simple disk failure can cause the load average to increase as more processes are stacked against the server so in reality just looking at the load averages coming to the assumption the server is overloaded is some what skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    It's virtually impossible to tell without logging into the server but the load average is never a true reflection anyway a simple disk failure can cause the load average to increase as more processes are stacked against the server so in reality just looking at the load averages coming to the assumption the server is overloaded is some what skewed.
    What OP asked is, server lad shows 20 and his website is slow - can this be related. What I am trying to say is, yes it is overloaded and can affect server performance. Of course any load hike due to a disk failure can cause load issues and it should affect the services as well due to IO ( which in turn reflects as CPU IO wait and load ). I believe it comes under the term overload as well and I never seen any server ( except old cloudlinux machines ) shows false positives in terms of CPU load. Just my point; everyone has their own points and approaches

Quote Originally Posted by elamo View Post
    i have a website on shared hosting but its very slow. it is static HTML CSS. i saw CPU load is 20 (8 cpus) and a warning icon [!], does this affect site performance ?
    You may try out VPS or a Dedicated Server.
    █ MilesWeb.com - Your Hosting, Our Responsibility!
    cPanel Hosting | Reseller Hosting | WordPress Hosting: SSD Storage & One-click Staging
    VPS Hosting - Managed & Unmanaged KVM & OpenVZ VPS | VPS Reseller
    █ Hosting Servers in [India | UK | US | Romania] - 24/7 Support | Instant Setup | Data Migration

It's virtually impossible to tell without logging into the server
    true but even if its not and it is a disk failure its still overloaded because of the disk failure IO is dragging it down.

Do not think the op cares what technical issues is slowing his site down but the fact that is is
    Last edited by HostingBig; 12-07-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Best option...talk to the host. Tell or complain about the issue. If it persists, ask to move to be moved to a different server. If there's still an issue, move to another host.

Quote Originally Posted by MilesWeb View Post
    How does that actually answer his question?

What OP asked is, server lad shows 20 and his website is slow - can this be related. What I am trying to say is, yes it is overloaded and can affect server performance. Of course any load hike due to a disk failure can cause load issues and it should affect the services as well due to IO ( which in turn reflects as CPU IO wait and load ). I believe it comes under the term overload as well and I never seen any server ( except old cloudlinux machines ) shows false positives in terms of CPU load. Just my point; everyone has their own points and approaches
    Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    true but even if its not and it is a disk failure its still overloaded because of the disk failure IO is dragging it down.

Do not think the op cares what technical issues is slowing his site down but the fact that is is
    If it was a recurring issue with a permanent high load average which is causing performance issues then yes you could start to say maybe it's overloaded but the load average isn't a true reflection it's just the number of processes stacked for processing the drive situation is just one thing that can occur things like running backups and scanning can cause load inflation. Whiles the "rule of thumb" 1.00 = 1 core/thread sometimes a server displaying a load of 20.00 isn't running any worse than a load of 4.00 depending whats being done. Everytime these sort of threads come about on WHT everyone jumps on the "overload or oversold" bandwagon when in reality it's physically impossible to tell anything and simple pure speculation unless of course it's a persistent issue. The only person who can help here is the provider maybe once they have spoken with the provider they'll know more about the issue.
    Last edited by Server Management; 12-07-2013 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    If it was a recurring issue with a permanent high load average which is causing performance issues then yes you could start to say maybe it's overloaded but the load average isn't a true reflection it's just the number of processes stacked for processing the drive situation is just one thing that can occur things like running backups and scanning can cause load inflation. Whiles the "rule of thumb" 1.00 = 1 core/thread sometimes a server displaying a load of 20.00 isn't running any worse than a load of 4.00 depending whats being done. Everytime these sort of threads come about on WHT everyone jumps on the "overload or oversold" bandwagon when in reality it's physically impossible to tell anything and simple pure speculation unless of course it's a persistent issue. The only person who can help here is the provider maybe once they have spoken with the provider they'll know more about the issue.
    Well they can't sig spam their non overloaded service if they don't hop on the same bandwagon.

Even with a backup overload, it is overload and that is what OP wanted to know and it can cause service slow downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    How does that actually answer his question?
    I was thinking that too. They could also have suggested some Tea and Biscuits with that blatant post.

Never said it was oversold there could be many things causing the issue.

as nixtree stated
    Even with a backup overload, it is overload and that is what OP wanted to know and it can cause service slow downs
    ops wants simple answer of why his site is slow.

In short, it does sound like the server is overloaded. However, a server is comprised of many working parts -- so your slow site could likely be the result of many other factors at work. Although it could be as simple as an overloaded server, it could be a bad disk drive or a number of other things as Nixtree explained.

My recommendation would be to contact your web host. See what they say. If they say that they can't help you or the load isn't abnormal, then it might be time to look elsewhere.

it's been like that for 5 days already . host support not helpful , only telling me to wait for senior manager to respond .

i have a website.......it is static HTML CSS.
    i saw CPU load is 20 (8 cpus) and a warning icon [!], does this affect site performance ?
    it's been like that for 5 days already
    host support not helpful , only telling me to wait for senior manager to respond .

That's more than enough reasons to follow these steps;

1. Backup your files/site

2. Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

3. Research about 5 hosts that fit your needs and research reviews on them

4. Ask them as many questions to fulfill your needs including if they will migrate your site/files for you

5. Pick a good host, Get some sleep

An html site should not suffer, unless there's more to this story. I've had jobs where one hosts had an average load of 35 all day. Whatever the reason, the project was moved to a reputable host....lower load....quick loading.

Is it possible to tell us who the host is so other's can be informed or to possibly add to other's that may have complained about similar issues.

it's been like that for 5 days already . host support not helpful , only telling me to wait for senior manager to respond .
    Time to find a new host for you then. Check in shared hosting offers section and find s host with good reviews.

Generally speaking if the load has surpassed 1 per core for more then a few minutes then there is an issue with the server, it is undergoing a DOS attack or it is overloaded.

You should tell your host that you see the server stats and want to be migrated to a server that is not oversold. See if they can do anything for you.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

Quote Originally Posted by Bitronictech View Post
    You should tell your host that you see the server stats and want to be migrated to a server that is not oversold. See if they can do anything for you.
    OP has passed that point 5-6 days ago....something a host should have address, at most, an hour after the issue was mentioned.

it's been like that for 5 days already . host support not helpful
    pack up and leave

Quote Originally Posted by MilesWeb View Post
    LOL! For a plain html site?

@OP: as previously said, in your case I would definetely change host.
    Michael Vlastos
    HostWired.com - Innovative Hosting Solutions since 2005 | cPanel, Softaculous
    Personalized support | No site suspensions | No overloaded servers | Green Hosting
    Multiple Backups | Average Response Time: 20 min | Toll Free: 1-855-ECO-HOST

It's time to move IMO.

Before just packing up and leaving, while you are logged into the control panel doing your backup of your site, take a look at the stats about your site.

Check how much disk space you are using, check out your transfer/BW usage and take a look at the stats as to the site usage over the last few months - how many visits/day/month etc.

The more info you have about your site, the easier it will be to find a host that suits your current and growing needs. It might be that your site is attracting a lot of traffic and actually the one causing the site to be slow - but as we only have part of the info it is pure speculation.

But, given that your host is non-responsive to support requests, time to move on.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

We always aim for less than 75% servers which peak out at 90% are contented!!!
    Thomas Bibb | Exascale
    █ Dedicated Servers | Virtual Servers | IP Connectivity | Managed Hosting
    █ Amazing prices, 99.9% uptime SLA guarantee, fanatical after sales support.
    █ 30 day money-back guarantee, our prices start small