Pointing domain to dedicated server..nameservers etc?

Looking for some info on how to setup necessary namerservers, A records etc. to point a domain name registered with one company to a dedicated server setup somewhere else.

Basically I have a domain name registered with company A say called
    ex. blahblah.com.

I have a dedicated server with company B with the 1 root ip and a few extra ip available.

The dedicated server root domain is ex. newtestblah.com at ip #.#.#.1 but I want to create through whm a new cpanel account for extra ip #.#.#.3 with the name ex. blahblah.com

Do I then just login to company A and change the A record pointing ex. blahblah.com to #.#.#.3

What about nameservers.

In WHM must I create nameservers also and enter this info with company A?

If so must these nameservers match the root domain name and is it ok if they have different ip than the cpanel account at #.#.#.3?

For example.
    ns1.newtestblah.com #.#.#.1
    ns2.newtestblah.com #.#.#.2

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

You Can Add Nameserver with particular server IP. it will automatically add Them as a A Record.

Or you can create a new account with your desired domain name in whm and add a record through cpanel.

Thanks for the response..would you mind elaborating a bit more on what you said.

At the domain registrar it appears they only have the option of entering just the nameserver name only ex. ns1.domainnameserver.com. From what I can see there is no option to enter the ip which doesn't make sense.

Also the root domain on dedicated is just a placeholder name ex. newtestblah.com and not linked to a actual registered domain. I do not intend to use this for hosting a site anyways. However the ns1 as it stands is ns1.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.1 ns2.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.2. So if I could enter the nameserver and corresponding ip this would likely be an issue?

If I go the other option you stated just entering record from whm/cpanel instead, what registrar info should I be looking to enter and where?

Thanks.

Anyone know info on this?

Let's say your two IP of dedicated server are:

And you want to setup following nameserver:
    ns1.domain.com
    ns2.domain.com

Please follow these simple steps
    1) Login to your server WHM and create two A record for nameserver.
    ns1.domain.com -> 1.1.1.1
    ns2.domain.com -> 2.2.2.2

2) Login in your domain control panel and create two child nameserver / glue record.
    ns1.domain.com -> 1.1.1.1
    ns2.domain.com -> 2.2.2.2

If you are unsure how to create child nameserver in domain control panel, contact you domain registrar.
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

setup nameservers

Its better to setup your own nameservers with the new dedicated server because its quite easy for you to manage dns for your domains in future.

- Select the first 2 IPs of your new server
    - go to company A's contorl panel.
    - Find the option to "register nameserver".
    - register the nameservers with the 2 particular IPs.

You need to configure the default nameservers in your server.
    Go to Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, under Server Configuration and add the nameservers with the corresponding IPs.

Now create a cPanel account for blahblah.com.
    assign IP for blahblah.com with the option "change sites IP address".
    Select #.#.#.3

All done!

Thanks for the replies. I am clearer as to what needs to be done but just a couple more questions though.

the main root server domain name I have is just a placeholder name ex.newtestblah.com and not actually linked to a registered domain as I don't intend to host live site on the root ip.

So its nameservers however would be ns1.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.1 and ns2.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.2

The actual cpanel domain account then created in WHM I want to point to I have named blahblah.com and assigned ip 1.2.3.3

I just looked at the domain registar and they will not let me put the ip to nameserver unless the new nameserver entered is reflective of the registered domain name. For example new namesever must be entered as ns1.blahblah.com and ns2.blahblah.com which only then allows to enter corresponding ip.

So my question is can I just enter the ns1.blahblah.com but then enter the ip linked to ns1.newtestblah.com?

Or do I need to setup a private nameserver for the non root cpanel account blahblah.com account somehow with ns1 ns2 ip 1.2.3.3 1.2.2.4 for example?

Hope that made sense

Thanks.
    Last edited by nrider321; 12-08-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Thats right, they will allow you to create nameservers of the registered domains only. If you want to register ns1/ns2.newtestblah.com, you must register newtestblah.com

But once you registered these nameservers, you can use it as the nameservers of your upcoming domains.

Quote Originally Posted by nrider321 View Post

At the domain registrar it appears they only have the option of entering just the nameserver name only ex. ns1.domainnameserver.com. From what I can see there is no option to enter the ip which doesn't make sense.

Also the root domain on dedicated is just a placeholder name ex. newtestblah.com and not linked to a actual registered domain. I do not intend to use this for hosting a site anyways. However the ns1 as it stands is ns1.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.1 ns2.newtestblah.com ip 1.2.3.2. So if I could enter the nameserver and corresponding ip this would likely be an issue?
    First you will need to register newtestblah.com domain (in your example case) and then there should be an option in your domain registrar panel to register your private nameservers. Once your private nameservers are registered, you can use them to point any domain to your server.
    || Web Hosting Blog - Web Hosting security & latest web hosting industry Announcements
    || Web Hosting Discussion - A Web Hosting community