Arrow What hosting plan to choose?

So, currently i'm using hostgator shared hosting and i'm receiving lots of traffic and i've reached the limit of it several times and i've got 500 error (you get that when you go above allowed resources). Obviously, i need to upgrade my plan, i am thinking about the VPS and dedicated server (hostgator).

Not sure which one to choose, because dedicated server looks too expensive and i don't think that i need it at the moment. VPS looks not that bad, just not sure which level to choose, since i can choose from 9 different levels.

My site right now receives about 15-20k (thousands) unique visits each day. Sometimes i even have more than 1000 visitors online at the same time (on that time i get errors because of going above my shared hosting limits). So many visitors online mostly at the evening (Saturday, Sunday).

Now my question would be, should i choose a VPS or a dedicated server from hostgator?

The weakest dedicated server package costs 174$/month.

The strongest VPS (level 9) costs 220$/month.

At the moment i'm looking at something Level 4-5 VPS. LV4 costs 80$/month, LV5 costs 105$/month. LV4 gives me 1050GB of bandwidth, LV5 - 1425GB.

Normally i don't have more than 500GB/month of used bandwidth with my site. I always go below 500GB/month. So, bandwidth wise, i think i'm quite good with VPS.

Now still i have questions about RAM and CPU power.

With LV4 VPS i get 1344MB of RAM and 1.98 GHZ CPU. LV5 gives 1828BM of RAM and 2.69 GHZ CPU.

What exactly RAM and GHZ are for? and how to know how much of this you really need? Also is it enough for my current traffic and online users peak at the same time to have as many rams as VPS LV4 or LV5 gives?

What you suggest for me to choose between VPS plans mentioned above and between a dedicated server (basic plan).?

Anyone in here using hostgator VPS plan with some decent traffic? If yes, how much traffic you get and what VPS level you have?
    Last edited by Husbarn; 12-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Regarding the VPS, I always recommend starting on the small side and moving forward as needed. It's very easy to upgrade if needed.

Have you ask HG regarding your current usage? They should be able to give you a gauge based on your current stats.

After EIG bought HG they’ve been going downhill. For VPS hosting I’ll always recommend KnownHost. They are cheaper and simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by JFSG View Post
    Have you ask HG regarding your current usage? They should be able to give you a gauge based on your current stats.

After EIG bought HG they’ve been going downhill. For VPS hosting I’ll always recommend KnownHost. They are cheaper and simply amazing.

No, i haven't asked HG about it and i doubt i could get a good answer from them.

I'll check that hosting provider you mentioned.

Anyways i'm still waiting for some good answers for my questions.

Go for a managed VPS that has the ability to scale up in resources rather than a dedicated server.

First i suggest that you search WHT or google for HG reviews and decide if you really want to go with them.

I suggest that you consider going to cloud. It might be more expensive but it will be easy to scale and upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by donmhico View Post
    First i suggest that you search WHT or google for HG reviews and decide if you really want to go with them.
    He is already with HG so he probably knows what is going on.

I would recommend Digital Ocean

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for a VPS from HostGator. They're overpriced and you would get a better level of service from a cheaper provider like KnownHost. I've used both a HostGator VPS and a KnownHost VPS. The KnownHost VPS outperformed the HostGator one and the support was better.

What exactly RAM and GHZ are for?
    Depending of the content in your website you may need less or more ram and processor speed. For example if your website is heavy, with a lot if dynamic content you will need more ram and better processor for better performance and faster content delivery.

Do not buy VPS from hostgator

From Experience If you Ask HostGator Support they will just keep tell you to Upgrade to next level .
    I don't know why people keep their eyes closing and use one host to the rest of their life .
    Personally I moved almost every three month form host to another . and let my personal experience judge on every host I used .
    The Only Host I never complained from them are StableHost If you ask their support about your site needs they will tell you the truth about what plan suitable with your site .
    I even Ask them about technical issue relative to my script and they answered me .
    I'll say it to every one HostGator are only see you as number and they try to close support ticket faster they can . waiting for next number on the line .
    Last edited by inklight; 12-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoshi View Post
    I would recommend Digital Ocean
    Have you personally used them?

Quote Originally Posted by Husbarn View Post
    Normally i don't have more than 500GB/month of used bandwidth with my site. I always go below 500GB/month. So, bandwidth wise, i think i'm quite good with VPS.
    Trust me, this is a wrong estimation. If you move your sites to a decent service (either VPS or dedicated), the visits and the traffic will significantly increase. Right now they are just reduced because of the CPU and RAM limits. Believe me I have seen this scenario from a client who moved his sites from Hostgator shared hosting to a dedicated server.
    So do not be surprised if you end up using a few TB of bandwidth per month.

I also would recommend you start small and scale up. No point in losing money for something you don't need.

Even I suggest to buy a vps rather than going for a dedicated servers. Your requirements fall within the capacity of a vps. In case in future if you exceed more than this than you can think of buying a dedicated server. I would also like to suggest you to look for other providers also, since you might be able to strike a better deal. Good Luck