Is this package good for hosting a forum?

Hi,

So the two options are these:

OpenVZ SSD VPS (SVZ)

KVM SSD VPS (SKVM)

I've picked "OpenVZ SSD VPS (SVZ)". Let me warn you guys, I have no clue what is the difference...and the support team doesn't seem to want to respond, so I've chosen the OpenVZ...i'm sure if it's a bad choice you guys will warn me

It's from this website below:

clientarea.ramnode.com/cart.php?carttpl=vps

Do you think this package right here is good enough for hosting a forum?

128MB RAM
    128MB VSwap
    1 CPU Core @ 3.3GHz+
    10GB SSD space
    1Gbps Port
    500GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    16 IPv6 Addresses
    Weekly Remote Backups
    TUN/TAP

If it isn't what about this below?

256MB RAM
    256MB VSwap
    1 CPU Core @ 3.3GHz+
    20GB SSD space
    1Gbps Port
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    16 IPv6 Addresses
    Weekly Remote Backups
    TUN/TAP

If this isn't either, which package IS good enough for hosting a forum?

Do you have a ticket ID? We certainly don't ignore support requests...

Thanks for your business.
    RamNode - #1 SSD VPS
    High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - 1Gbps - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Get your super fast VPS today! - www.ramnode.com

How are you going to host your forum?

Are you going to use any control panel (like cpanel)?

The resources that you are going to need depends on what kind of forum are you going to host. A very busy forum with many visitors would deffinately stretch your server.

Also the main difference between KVM and OpenVZ (for a simple user) is that on OpenVZ you can oversell all of the resources while on the KVM you CAN NOT oversell disk space.

I think if you don't know anything about VPS hosting I think you might want to go for a managed service provider.

Ramnode provides a great unmanaged service, however they do not provide setup, hardening, etc.

Which forum software are you going o use?

If you are hosting a newly started forum, you can just go with shared hosting first. For example if you are using xenForo, you could go with xfhost.net.

And if the company doesn't seem to respond then you may want to look for a better and responsive company. A managed VPS company can be expensive than those you chose (unmanaged VPS).
    Last edited by HostPride; 12-06-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Do you have a ticket ID? We certainly don't ignore support requests...

Thanks for your business.
    Yeah but you've asked for my email address so I figured I'd be receiving an email. Everyone can help me through this website since we're here though.

How good are those packages that I've listed above?

I can't say if the forums will blow up & become very busy.

Tell me how far I can go with what ever package is most recommended & that will likely facilitate my decision more efficiently.

It will be a rap related forum where users just come to relax and communicate with each other. You know just your typical forum with a shoutbox...nothing too fancy.

I'd also probably be using cpanel considering the forum will most likely be mybb or maybe vbulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by evohost Canada View Post
    I think if you don't know anything about VPS hosting I think you might want to go for a managed service provider.

Ramnode provides a great unmanaged service, however they do not provide setup, hardening, etc.
    Which "managed service provider" do you recommend?

Many of us here will not recommend vBulletin anymore. The forum itself is so laggy and their support is bad, if you are not going to do something too fancy, go with xenForo (paid) with Taigachat addon or mybb (free) with the shoutbox addon. Xenforo is very fast and selling at a very good price. You can even get secon hand license at about $80.

I can recommend Wiredtree or GeekStorage for managed VPS, they are very reputable. Knownhost is also very good and reputable. But managed VPS can be more expensive for their good service.
    Last edited by HostPride; 12-06-2013 at 02:16 AM.