* Sooooo. was I right, or was I right?

Several months ago I posted a question about finding a DC that is not in the United States for security and privacy reasons. My post was met with a LOT of nastiness, suspicion and PMs.

Now that even more is being revealed about government and private industry intrusion into our client's data, are opinions here different?

Now that we are seeing in the news, just this week, that MANY companies are now refusing to do business with companies here in the United States, are opinions here any different?

Not everyone who feels that their privacy is important has something to hide.

I am really interested in hearing your thoughts, as a provider, DC or customer.

This is a serious issue that affects us all.

Thanks

I would not hand over data about a client without a court order along with an identity proof.
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd
    Shared cPanel hosting ~ Softaculous ~ 24x7x365 Support
    1 hour first response support guarantee, we focus on quality and not being cheap

Quote Originally Posted by OH Jordan View Post
    I would not hand over data about a client without a court order along with an identity proof.
    I dont think that is what the original poster is referring to. Having said this, I think the original poster, and the rest of us, will be surprised to learn, as time moves on - that its not just the US government which employs these practices. I think privacy is a huge concern for everyone, everywhere. and the countries which may not yet be evolved enough to be participating in such practices, have other concerns - which may represent a more significant threat - when considering them as a location to house your data

I do agree with the original poster however - many entities are refusing to store their data in the US, including many US corps - making Canada a very attractive location.

Having said this, I dont think the US represents any significant risk over other countries (be that Canada, countries in Europe, etc) - but, perception is reality
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    I dont think that is what the original poster is referring to. Having said this, I think the original poster, and the rest of us, will be surprised to learn, as time moves on - that its not just the US government which employs these practices. I think privacy is a huge concern for everyone, everywhere. and the countries which may not yet be evolved enough to be participating in such practices, have other concerns - which may represent a more significant threat - when considering them as a location to house your data

I do agree with the original poster however - many entities are refusing to store their data in the US, including many US corps - making Canada a very attractive location.

Having said this, I dont think the US represents any significant risk over other countries (be that Canada, countries in Europe, etc) - but, perception is reality
    Ah, maybe I misunderstood. Thinking about it, the US is one of the only ones we know about, others are blatantly doing it, we just don't hear as much about it.
    Jordan D - DeguWeb Ltd
    Shared cPanel hosting ~ Softaculous ~ 24x7x365 Support
    1 hour first response support guarantee, we focus on quality and not being cheap

Quote Originally Posted by OH Jordan View Post
    Ah, maybe I misunderstood. Thinking about it, the US is one of the only ones we know about, others are blatantly doing it, we just don't hear as much about it.
    I agree the UK government was in on it with the US Government, as we found out over here, GCHQ (http://www.gchq.gov.uk) now we have a FBI style: NCA (http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/).

I wish I could find my original post on this so you guys could see the responses. I would never do business with any of those companies who laughed about the idea of privacy! This was not too long ago either.

Quote Originally Posted by KingdomX View Post
    I wish I could find my original post on this so you guys could see the responses. I would never do business with any of those companies who laughed about the idea of privacy! This was not too long ago either.
    Were they laughing at the idea that the information was private and that government couldn't get ahold of it? and that the government would never spy? Or the opposite?

Also I feel as though I know If the government wanted any one of my customers data or mine that they could easily obtain it whether I have servers in the U.S. Or not They will do just about anything possible to get what they want even by illegal means.

I am surprised it took so long for people to actually notice that they are gathering information. They collect text messages emails all types of data and any U.S. Government agency can get access to it for their own investigation. It is annoying but not surprising. Anything I say or do that is important and I do not want people to know is spoken to them in person, or in a hand written note that I directly give to them without mailing/emailing.

dont be too hard on anyone. the idea of government snooping on data isnt exactly a mainstream notion. to be fair, I think your point about it being a US problem isnt exactly accurate - it truly is an international issue and I dont think its going to go away.

I try to be rational about things and dont think the government just snoops on the average person - they have better things to do. typically, where there is smoke, there is fire. this doesnt mean its not a concern, because clearly it is - and it gets scary when they snoop against innocent people for private agendas, etc, etc. But, I think people need to stay tempered about this. privacy, I mean true, real privacy - is probably going the way of the dodo bird. scary, but inevitable I think. I know Canada has some pretty serious privacy laws - but, what use are they when companies and organizations adhere to them, and the governments which create them do whatever they want. As I said, I dont think this is a unique US issue
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

@KingdomX I believe this is the original post you are talking about here.

Now that even more is being revealed about government and private industry intrusion into our client's data, are opinions here different?
    This isn't really nothing new, for the most part I thought this was common knowledge. I think the lack of privacy is pretty much being perpetuated by technology. The need for warrantless searches has been in effect for sometime, what I find more concerning is the apathy these types of issues have been met with, along with the globalization of these practices. In other-words, I have to agree with some of the sentiment that this is not becoming a USA issue as much as it is now a global issue.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee