Talking What's the difference between shared core and dedicated core?

And how to tell the difference?

First of all I want to make it clear that I am not trying to bash anyone in this thread. I really just want info so I don't face the same problem in the future.

Someone told me that if we buy VPS we can get either shared cores or dedicated cores.

I found out that 4 shared cores mean I am not supposed to use the cores for extended amount of time. So I have access to 4 cores but only occasionally during burst traffic.

However, that's extremely confusing. I was under the impression that I will get shared cores. However, I didn't know that shared cores mean cores I shouldn't use a lot.

Some users however confirm this. They said that you can get either dedicated core or shared cores.

Is there any wikipedia link or any link that explains how it works. Is it common for VPS to oversell. Or what?

What VPS have this kind of terms (you can access more cores but can't use it extensively)?

I am not saying it's a bad term. In fact, I think the idea is pretty good. We don't use CPU all the time right. So it's kind of nice to have higher access for burst. I suppose it would have been a reasonable terms if it helps them keep price cheap. Again, I am not trying to bash people here. I think it's quite good that it should be stated more explicitly. I just want to know if it's common practice or not or where I can learn more about it. Also how to differentiate it?

How do I know if a VPS gives dedicated cores or shared cores? It seems that in all VPS the sales simply say cores without mentioning it's shared or dedicated.

As far as I know, VPS cores are of course always shared. What I didn't know is that shared means you can't use it a lot.

Given that a dedi at FDC server costs only $200 and with 32 cores, I was expecting a $60 VPS would "reserve" say, 4 cores for a user and give even more if other cores are idle .

I guess that's not really the case is it? More like they have 12 cores, sell 30 cores, and hope most users don't use their full cores.

How do I know which one is which?
    Last edited by hardjoko; 12-05-2013 at 01:42 AM.

in vps word unless you see clearly the word "dedicated" cores written then they are shared.

no one will give you dedicated cores and be shy about it

now how the hosts allow you to use the cores is different and also depends on technology.

some hosts give you access to the full core but ask you in gentlemen agreement to not abuse it. the advantage here in the bursts you can use 100% of the core which is the biggest advantage of vps server against dedicated server (you pay for your most common use case and bursts come free of charge while in dedicated server you pay for your maximum use case)

some others will cap the cores they give you and let you abuse them as you wish since in all cases they are capped.

and some hosts they de-prioritize your cores so if no other vps need them you can abuse them as you wish 100% all time but when others need them your share will be lower till their burst ends

now since you are talking about 60$ you should expect some dedicated cores or at least allow you to abuse the cores since what you are paying is alot and i agree with you on that.

usually the best way is to ask hosts before you buy to get dedicated cores with your specs and let them give you quotes

XenServer VPS and Cloud VPS
    Extremely cheap Windows and Linux VPS

If you are so confused about this- better think about dedicated server. On the moment there are many servers offered for low budget a little bigger then vps.

I used to use dedicated server. $60 is not expensive actually. I need fast disk. Most likely ssd. I don't see anyone offering cheap.

Steadfast, a cloud, offer CPU. I order .3 core with them and it seems that the CPU is not even maxed.