Getting into Game Server Hosting

So I'm in the early stages of setting up my own game server host. It'll be nothing serious, just a hobby of mine and another friend. We'll only be hosting relatively non-hardware intensive servers. I'm funding the whole thing out of pocket so I'm trying to minimize costs where I can but without degrading quality of the hosting service. Really I'm only hoping to get around 10-20 clients, enough to break even.

So far I've obtained a website design (one off payment), a GeoTrust SSL certificate (annual cheap payment), a domain and I've ordered a dedicated server.

I'm wondering if I should host my main website on the same dedicated server as the game servers or if I should look at at a cheap VPS ($6) or a shared hosting account. But then I wonder how I'd set it up as wouldn't I need 2 domains for both the dedi and the VPS/Shared hosting or how would I set it up?

I don't really wish to pay for TCAdmin or GameCP on top so I'm looking at GamePanelX or Open Game Panel for the game panels. Probably GamePlanelX as it looks the best out of the two.

Is there any alternatives to WCHSM that is free or open source? Should I find an alternative and invest in a lifetime WHMCS license eventually?

Do you guys got any tips, suggestions or recommendations?

Yes! You should host the website on another server because if the gameservers go down then your clients are going to be looking to get support and your website will be down at the same exact time.

No you don't need 2 domains for both the dedi and the VPS you only need 1 domain you setup a subdomain and point the IP address of the Gameserver Dedicated Server to your sub domain.

Example: GameCP.yourdomain.com

There is an alternative to WHMCS that is free it's boxbilling but I don't think it supports automatic setup or open source.

Game Hosting isn't a cheap business don't go with the crappy game panels that never get updated. The people coming to you could own gaming communitys and need the servers up and running 24/7 with quality.

If you really want to you can go with GameCP and buy the full edition and use the billing system that is automatically included with it.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoo View Post
    Yes! You should host the website on another server because if the gameservers go down then your clients are going to be looking to get support and your website will be down at the same exact time.

No you don't need 2 domains for both the dedi and the VPS you only need 1 domain you setup a subdomain and point the IP address of the Gameserver Dedicated Server to your sub dom
    Oh, I see. Great, thanks for that I'm not overly familiar with domains like I am with Linux etc. I'll do that then and find shared or cheap VPS for the main website.

If you really want to you can go with GameCP and buy the full edition and use the billing system that is automatically included with it.[
    Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea! I'd rather buy as much as I can outright completely because I'd like to minimize my monthly spend and be able to focus more funding towards the actual up-keeping of the game servers and keeping the box current and modern.

Is it best to run Windows instead of Linux? (My preference is CentOS)
    Last edited by A Goat; 12-05-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freebudy View Post
    I don't really wish to pay for TCAdmin or GameCP on top so I'm looking at GamePanelX or Open Game Panel for the game panels. Probably GamePlanelX as it looks the best out of the two.

Is there any alternatives to WCHSM that is free or open source? Should I find an alternative and invest in a lifetime WHMCS license eventually?
    If you're going to have "customers". I suggest sticking to a game panel and billing platform that does not have security issues.

Quote Originally Posted by freebudy View Post
    Oh, I see. Great, thanks for that I'm not overly familiar with domains like I am with Linux etc. I'll do that then and find shared or cheap VPS for the main website.

Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea! I'd rather buy as much as I can outright completely because I'd like to minimize my monthly spend and be able to focus more funding towards the actual up-keeping of the game servers and keeping the box current and modern.

Is it best to run Windows instead of Linux? (My preference is CentOS)
    Go with what you know best.

If I was you I would stay away from Box Billing, although its free it just doesn't have enough features and it always seemed to break when I was using it. When I did some game servers I found Linux was best as it is less resource intensive.
    Also WHMCS is a good system and you can get a monthly licence for as low as 5 though a good reseller.