Question needing a lift solution idea

we are about to do some server moves in our data center. i was wondering if anyone can recommend a good solution for us to lift heavy servers. we currently use flatbed cart for our beasts and we just dread it. any ideas?

I've seen a few things like this, but take a look. http://www.serverlift.com/
    Last edited by StealthyHosting; 11-08-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    █ Brian Kearney, Stealthy Hosting/Server Stadium Seattle, WA [AS23033] Skype: StealthyHosting
    Custom Dedicated Servers
    Low Cost Instant Dedicated Servers

█ Email: Sales@StealthyHosting.com

hey stealthyhosting, thanks for the quick reply. great find though, they look pretty sturdy. have you personally use them before?

Quote Originally Posted by swainx View Post
    hey stealthyhosting, thanks for the quick reply. great find though, they look pretty sturdy. have you personally use them before?
    They are fantastic to use.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

which model of theirs do you use ionity?

which model of theirs do you use ionity?
    I don't personally own one. The Internap Datacenter has one and they use it. I have also used them in other facilities.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

we are about to do some server moves in our data center. i was wondering if anyone can recommend a good solution for us to lift heavy servers. we currently use flatbed cart for our beasts and we just dread it. any ideas?
    Typically UPS technicians/DC electrical companies will have specialized lifts for their batteries. Most UPS battery cabinets store the batteries in strings of 4 per shelf, and they sit on a removable tray on that shelf. Typically these lifts are designed to do 400-500 pounds, are hand crank, and fairly compact (all things considered).

This might also prove to be a viable option (and can get the heaviest beast up onto any position in a rack, including fully loaded switch chassis, etc.)
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Server lifts are pretty useful. Hopefully your datacenter has one. I don't know what I'd do without one when racking anything larger than 2U not to mention 10+ U routers
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I've met the guys at serverlift and they seem like a nice and good bunch. The boss came from an engineering background for what it's worth. Purpose build is a little more pricey, but it's meant for the job.
    Alan Howard, Principal Analyst, Cloud and Colocation Data Centers and Services
    Enterprise and IT Research

http://www.colourbox.com/preview/170...background.jpg attach the server to a string -- once ascended to the proper u (quickly rack) then cut the string.

1+ for server lift.

We just did a huge relocation and it greatly reduced the amount of staff required for the move.

Interns...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave - Just199 View Post
    Interns...
    lol, Interns with strong backs and good workers comp insurance.
    Here's my favorite video on a tricky install...
    http://www.guzer.com/videos/dont-drop-that-server.php
    Alan Howard, Principal Analyst, Cloud and Colocation Data Centers and Services
    Enterprise and IT Research

Quote Originally Posted by Alhowey View Post
    lol, Interns with strong backs and good workers comp insurance.
    Here's my favorite video on a tricky install...
    http://www.guzer.com/videos/dont-drop-that-server.php
    hahahaahahah great vid
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

+1 for ServerLift. I think the model I've used is the SL-500X. Pricey (~$8k+ I think?), but well worth it if you move large servers frequently.
    Last edited by Cristal_Ice; 11-11-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: s/ServerLife/ServerLift/

Meh. We use our arms, backs and legs. Heave ho.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

sounds like a good lift, our data center currently just use flat beds to move them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    Meh. We use our arms, backs and legs. Heave ho.
    yea that is what we are doing right now and for the heavier ones we load them on the flat bed. I just dread it so much and it hurts my back and legs

Quote Originally Posted by Cristal_Ice View Post
    +1 for ServerLift. I think the model I've used is the SL-500X. Pricey (~$8k+ I think?), but well worth it if you move large servers frequently.
    thank you for that, we have some heavier ones, but nothing I can't lift with another help, but after a while it just strains. I'll check if they have rental options available too. may be a black friday sale. o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    http://www.colourbox.com/preview/170...background.jpg attach the server to a string -- once ascended to the proper u (quickly rack) then cut the string.
    haha, that mde my friday. I wish it was that easy, my boss and company would kill me for all the damaged servers laying on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cisneros View Post
    hahahaahahah great vid
    one of my colleuges and i actually did that before, with the rolling chair, thought it make it go faster if I wheeled him while he held it down the aisle. hahaa

Another +1 for serverlift.

Well, I've never used the Server Lifts myself but from researching them a little bit they look very handy and at the prices estimated of someone else's comments...I'd say it's well worth it. If you're moving expensive equipment...I'd recommend serverlift for various reason being;
    1. You can safely move Server Hardware without the worry of tripping over something and dropping it.
    2. You can easily lift even heavey hardware to a tall shelf without the worry of dropping it again or falling of a ladder plus if you need to do some hookups for some reason before you actually slide the server in, no worries.
    3. Overall, it just makes life so much easier and I wish I had one.

I find we put most of our heavy systems at the bottom when we can saves trying to lift it so high! I could see this being a great item to have because when you look at it if a staff member hurts their back or shoulders racking a heavy system it's going to cost the business more than what it's worth however 8k is way to much you should be able to rig up a nice system for less than 1k.
    ⚡️ PUREVOLTAGE.COM ⚡️Custom Dedicated Servers, Colocation, VPS Contact us: sales@purevoltage.com Skype: Mobile.Jake
    AMD EPYC 7443P RYZEN 7950X3D ⚡️ NVME 10G - 100Gbps We do it all!

New York City ★ Seattle ★ Los Angeles ★ Chicago ★ Dallas