301 Redirect Hell

Hey guys, I need a little help. I've been working on this for a couple of days and am starting to feel hopeless.

I created a 301 redirect (something I have never done before and obviously didn't understand well enough). Two days later needed to remove the 301 redirect.

I created it in cPanel. I also removed it in cPanel. I checked the .htaccess files and didn't see any reference to it.

The site still redirects.

After many hours of trying everything I could think of, I renamed the .htaccess file and Viola, the redirect is gone and I can access my site again.

This morning, I wake up and check the site and it's still working as expected - no surprises.

Then a couple hours ago, out of nowhere it starts redirecting to the old url again. This time renaming the .htaccess doesn't work.

I have also cleared browser cache. It's also redirecting from machines that have never been to the site.

Can anyone please explain to me how this is happening and even better - how to fix it.

Thank you!

Have you checked there is no redirection set in cpanel?
    Are there any other .htaccess files in the web root that has this rule?
    Try using private browsing mode to rule out cache/cookie problem.

The usual problem with using a 301 (permanent) redirect is that browsers cache it. (And why not - it is supposed to be permanent after all). But yes, private browsing or using a different machine that never visited the site before should eliminate that.

Does your ISP use an [invisible] http proxy, by any chance? I think they're rare these days but they used to be popular some years back, and a total PITA for developers finding their page contents didn't update even after clearing the browser cache...
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Have you tried from any different computer / ISP ??
    Ask any of your friend to check the redirection URL.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials