Hosts close to One Wilshire, LA

We have an international leased circuit from Asia terminating in One Wilshire, LA, and need our VOIP/PBX server as few miliseconds / hops away as possible. Our current host has a server in the Colocrossing facility just around the corner, but is giving us headaches with connectivity to One Wilshire, and they say they won't or can't fix it, and our ISP says the same. I don't understand whose responsibility it is, but nobody seems very interested in sorting it out. Basically they are routing our traffic via Cogent to San Jose, CA and back, resulting in 20ms of extra round trip time and a handful of unnecessary pings, along with bad jitter. Bad for VOIP. Then yesterday we had massive packet loss for around 6 hours, making VOIP completely unusable.

I checked Quadranet's ping IP for comparison and it's massively better than what we are getting, even though the facilities are pretty much next door to each other. Half the number of hops, no jitter and much better round trip times.

But Quadranet is pricey - we are paying $100 for an E3-1240, 120 GB SSD, 1 GB HDD, 32 GB RAM, 10 TB bandwidth. They would want 4-5 times as much.

Are there any other good options with great connectivity to One Wilshire? Maybe some downstream hosts are using Quadranet's facilities?

Sorry for all your trouble. Are you serious none of the providers are interested in sorting out the issue?
    How are you connecting to your international link from colocrossing?
    Have you completely ruled out the leased international link?
    OCOSA Communications | Since 2003
    http://www.ocosa.com
    Hosting, Connectivity, Professional Services

Have you looked into WebNX?
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Looking to switch providers? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Thanks for the quick replies!

ocasa, the ISP says they are meeting their SLA (which they are mostly, it's just not as good as it could be) and the host says they cannot change routing for me. The connectivity issues are beyond the ISP's network, so I am inclined to think it is the host's responsibility.

RSNET-John, thanks for pointing out WebNX, I wasn't familiar with them. Pings look good (assuming they host their website at their own facility), but I will request a proper ping IP once sales is available. Pricing is a bit more than I am paying but maybe they can do a deal...

Quote Originally Posted by gdi2k View Post
    We have an international leased circuit from Asia terminating in One Wilshire, LA, and need our VOIP/PBX server as few miliseconds / hops away as possible. Our current host has a server in the Colocrossing facility just around the corner, but is giving us headaches with connectivity to One Wilshire, and they say they won't or can't fix it, and our ISP says the same. I don't understand whose responsibility it is, but nobody seems very interested in sorting it out. Basically they are routing our traffic via Cogent to San Jose, CA and back, resulting in 20ms of extra round trip time and a handful of unnecessary pings, along with bad jitter. Bad for VOIP. Then yesterday we had massive packet loss for around 6 hours, making VOIP completely unusable.

I checked Quadranet's ping IP for comparison and it's massively better than what we are getting, even though the facilities are pretty much next door to each other. Half the number of hops, no jitter and much better round trip times.

But Quadranet is pricey - we are paying $100 for an E3-1240, 120 GB SSD, 1 GB HDD, 32 GB RAM, 10 TB bandwidth. They would want 4-5 times as much.

Are there any other good options with great connectivity to One Wilshire? Maybe some downstream hosts are using Quadranet's facilities?
    Hello,

We sincerely appreciate your interest in QuadraNet; we're a premium provider indeed, so pricing will reflect it so I can understand where you're coming from.

Anyhow it really never hurts to get in touch, we can provide pretty aggressive pricing as well

ColoCrossing is IN the QuadraNet facilites. Being in the same facilities and using the QuadraNet network *directly* are 2 completely different things however.
    You get the QuadraNet datacenter infrastructure, but not the direct network management.

If you want to be cheap, you need to deal with what you get. You can't expect the world and pay the cheapest price. Your listed spec would not be 4-5 times as much, but perhaps 2x or 2.5x as much... just raise your budget a little, its worth it.

We don't have any direct Cogent transit in LA. Send in a traceroute to [email protected] in both directions and we'll take a look.

Give Fiberhub a shout. They have direct links to wilshire. Though they are in LV, it would only be a few ms and affordable than anything in LA.

But Quadranet is pricey
    Yep, and once you have been on their network you truly forget about the price.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Yes, it just depends on your needs. The Quadranet network is pretty awesome. Another alternative is Gigenet in Los Angeles, that also has an amazing network. Both of these you pay a premium but for some applications you really should do it.

What part of Asia do you need transit to?
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | GigePipe - High Bandwidth Servers | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    Los Angeles, CA (US West) | Dallas, TX (US East) | Ashburn, VA (US East)

Thanks all, I got a few quotes and had them all run traceroutes. Quadranet did come out on top in the end, so deal done.

It is more expensive, but so far so good, the routes are magic for our situation. Looking forward to it staying that way!

Try Telecom Center Los Angeles which is next door to One Wilshire.
    COLOCATIONAMERICA.COMô Itís All About Connections...ô
    ¶ Email [email][email protected]