Thread: 2 VPS for DNS

2 VPS for DNS

Looking for 2 vps for cpanel dns only. My main vps servers are in the UK so what locations would I need? And any recommendations?

Would vps dns1 have ns1
    And vps 2 dns2 have ns2

Would I only need 1 IP on each also?

One IP per VPS would be no problem. If you're doing cPanel DNS only, you'll want at least 1 GB of RAM per VPS. It will work on 512 MB, but it gets wonky.

You can pair your nameservers however you like. VPS1 = NS1 and VPS2 = NS2 would be fine.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Quote Originally Posted by n1kko22 View Post
    Looking for 2 vps for cpanel dns only. My main vps servers are in the UK so what locations would I need? And any recommendations?

try the following providers:
    pcsmarthosting.com
    gbservers.co.uk
    xensmart.co.uk
    minivps.co.uk
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

That's great, what would I need to do on my 2 main servers where I host domains

Does it make any difference on the location of the DNS vps?

Yes, in terms of response time of DNS queries, if you only aim for US customers, have the 2 VPS in US, if you aim for UK, I would say UK, NL, DE, FR, and you should have pretty good response time.

Of course there's a difference between DNS response between the USA and Europe, but only about 100 milliseconds. It's not going to matter with respect to visitors finding you. They'll find you either way.

Thanks for the replies. The only reason I ask is UK is more expensive so will look NL, DE, FR

Actually you can run DNS_ONLY on less memory... You just have to disable mySQL since the only thing using it is cpHulk unless your using mydns in that case you need mySQL running.

mySQL is a memory hog even when its not needed.

Will just be using cPanel DNS only so if I disable mysql a vps with 512mb would be ok?

Yep... Mine run under 200 megs typically..

Thanks just need to find cheap 2 cheap vps now

Hello,

YOu can try one in:

http://www.prometeus.net/sito/VPS

Dino

Here is a silly question, but how many domains will your DNS serve? If the number is very low, then you may want to consider one of the free and simple options, such as using your domain registrar's DNS.

I have around 45 domains

At the moment I have a VPS with 6 IPs and using 2 of them for DNS on my main server where domains are. Whats the difference having it like this as to having 2 other vps for DNS?

Redundancy.

Just get a couple of VPS's with a couple of different providers. Yes, CPanel DNS Only WILL run in 512Meg.

If you are looking at this, then the whole point is to get redundancy, so yes, use different providers in different geographical locations. If you are not going to include your current VPS as part of your DNS cluster, then use the same provider you have for 1 of them and then just pick another provider in another location. Might even be worth considering that 1 VPs that is remote be scaled with sufficient disk space so you can use it also for off-site Backups for CPanel, getting even more value out of it.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

I'm really confused with all this dns cluster and more vps servers.

At the moment I have 1 main vps where I host around 50 domains for clients. The vps has 6 IP addresses 2 of which I use for NS1 and NS2.

I have set my main domain with my domain register with ns1.mydomain.com pointing to 1.1.1.1
    And ns2.mydomain.com pointing to 2.2.2.2 in the dns settings with internetbs. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by RRWH View Post
    Just get a couple of VPS's with a couple of different providers. Yes, CPanel DNS Only WILL run in 512Meg.

If you are looking at this, then the whole point is to get redundancy, so yes, use different providers in different geographical locations. If you are not going to include your current VPS as part of your DNS cluster, then use the same provider you have for 1 of them and then just pick another provider in another location. Might even be worth considering that 1 VPs that is remote be scaled with sufficient disk space so you can use it also for off-site Backups for CPanel, getting even more value out of it.
    I actually have a vps with backupsy so I will use that for DNS server ns2 and also use for backups. Thanks for that was going to purchase another vps.

I'm really confused with all this dns cluster and more vps servers.

At the moment I have 1 main vps where I host around 50 domains for clients. The vps has 6 IP addresses 2 of which I use for NS1 and NS2.

I have set my main domain with my domain register with ns1.mydomain.com pointing to 1.1.1.1
    And ns2.mydomain.com pointing to 2.2.2.2 in the dns settings with internetbs. Is this correct?
    Hi please read this link below, and if your in the UK and have a contact number i will explain the easy how to set these up.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...nfigureCluster
    Been running a successful independent web hosting company for over 13 years

I actually have a vps with backupsy so I will use that for DNS server ns2 and also use for backups. Thanks for that was going to purchase another vps.
    I don't know if I'd place a production virtual environment on top of the same VPS which is being used as part of your disaster recovery protocol. I'm not suggesting that doing such will increase/decrease the integrity of your backup environment, or that @RRWH is wrong by any means, I mean if it's sitting there holding tarballs of cpmoves I don't think it could hurt much, I'm pretty sure the only ports opened by introducing DNSONLY are 53/2086/2087, and probably 80 if Apache's been on that machine the whole time. I think SMTP too, for alert handling. But I just prefer to keep them seperated, and that it might be a better idea to pick up lower spec VM's (not the same as lower-end). At 512mb physical memory allocation, or even a 256x256 RAM+SWAP combination should be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Johnny Cache; 12-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by victormeldrew View Post
    Hi please read this link below, and if your in the UK and have a contact number i will explain the easy how to set these up.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...nfigureCluster
    Got it, really simple actually. So if I end up needing another VPS for hosting accounts say server2.mydomain.com I would need another 2 vps servers for DNS NS1 & NS2.

So I would end up with 6 servers in total