Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Linux vs. Windows for a Win user

    I'm about to hire some php developer to set my website. I know it's a neverending argument but does it affect if I choose a linux or a windows based hosting? it's on the same price. as a windows user could it help me to handle anything? as I mentioned it's on the same price so money doesn't matter now.
    Last edited by foobic; 12-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,799
    If you're developing with PHP/MySQL and not .net/MSSQL there is no clear cut advantage to Windows. Being a windows users doesn't really hinder/help you with either option since this is shared hosting.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

  3. #3
    got it! thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,877
    The biggest difference between Windows and Linux is the way permissions are issued.

    Linux is slutty -- very loose and free. Sometimes easy to take advantage of.
    Windows is a prude. Try anything hinky, and you'll get slapped.

    It can make a difference on PHP sites. It really depends on the server and the site.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,799
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    The biggest difference between Windows and Linux is the way permissions are issued.

    Linux is slutty -- very loose and free. Sometimes easy to take advantage of.
    Windows is a prude. Try anything hinky, and you'll get slapped.

    It can make a difference on PHP sites. It really depends on the server and the site.
    True. Windows typically will be bundled with more robust email hosting as well (not always, but generally).

    The flexibility of Linux file permissions could be looked at as a pro or con depending on the project, but default permissions are definitely not as strong. Good point.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

  6. #6
    I assume that you mean by saying your a "windows" user is that your laptop/desktop OS is windows? If yes then there are no disadvantage what so ever. I do suggest that you go with linux. Even if, on your circumstances right now, the prices are the same. Odds are after a few months, a year you will need a better hosting, or need to move to another hosting and commonly Linux hosting is cheaper than Windows. It's also a good way to get yourself familiarize with how linux work.

  7. #7
    PHP can be made to run well on Windows, but it starts to creak a bit under high load. If you're administering the server yourself and you know Windows then there's some merit in sticking with PHP on Windows. For any other reason, use Linux.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,877
    Quote Originally Posted by netically View Post
    PHP can be made to run well on Windows, but it starts to creak a bit under high load. If you're administering the server yourself and you know Windows then there's some merit in sticking with PHP on Windows. For any other reason, use Linux.
    PHP doesn't need to "made" to do anything on IIS7+
    It works well, period. High load or not. Not sure where you're getting that idea.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    PHP doesn't need to "made" to do anything on IIS7+
    It works well, period. High load or not. Not sure where you're getting that idea.
    Don't get me wrong, it's fine for many things and I know plenty of people who do use WAMP. The recent performance improvements that came about when Microsoft waded in have made a big difference. But under load, my clients are still telling me that Windows is too slow when compared with Linux on like-for-like tin.

    I'm not a Windows basher, by the way.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,877
    Why would anybody run WAMP? The reason to use Windows = IIS. Otherwise use Linux.
    Running Apache on Windows is really the issue here -- not PHP.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Why would anybody run WAMP? The reason to use Windows = IIS. Otherwise use Linux.
    Running Apache on Windows is really the issue here -- not PHP.
    I was referring to running PHP under IIS. Not actually ever tried Apache on Windows, because as you say - you may as well use Linux.

  12. #12
    Check what each server support.
    Windows hosting does not support PHP and MySQL in general
    Alex - info[@]serverhk.org
    Server Hong Kong Company - The optimized choice
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA, UK, Singapore
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Serverhk View Post
    Windows hosting does not support PHP and MySQL in general
    Not true.. PHP / MySQL works "wonderfully" well on Windows and is extremely efficient too.
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

    Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Serverhk View Post
    Windows hosting does not support PHP and MySQL in general
    No.

    MySQL works flawlessly.
    And PHP in IIS7+ can work, or even better, than PHP in Linux.

    This is 2013, not 2003.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

  15. #15
    I indeed mean hosting providers like to set packages like
    Windows Hosting
    xxGB Storage
    xxTB Bandwidth
    Support ASP, ASP.net
    Support MSSQL

    Linux Hosting
    xxGB Storage
    xxTB Bandwidth
    Support PHP 5
    Support MySQL 5

    I was more concerned on the default package

    On many control panels, Admin can enable/disable PHP and MySQL at Windows Hosting server.

    One reason of doing so is to save $$$ as Linux is free.

    I did not say Windows cannot run PHP well.
    Alex - info[@]serverhk.org
    Server Hong Kong Company - The optimized choice
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:24 AM
  4. Windows host reccs (or mixed Win/Linux)
    By KatDog in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 12:24 PM
  5. Swap Linux accounts for Windows! win-win!
    By kwitko in forum Running a Web Hosting Business
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2002, 04:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •