Arrow Merge or Invest in Additional ISP's to Grow?

I am looking at some different opportunities that are available in ISP's that are for sale on the various boards and newsletters, and I am looking for some advice from those who've been through this before if possible.

I have a fairly successful niche ISP now that is making good money, and I would like to continue to grow my ISP. I am not looking to be a Softlayer or anything like that in the next 10 years, but I would like to grow it out to additional continents and possibly my own data center one day. For me, the ISP and cheap bandwidth is a central key into some of my other non-hosting businesses, and is worth the long term investment.

That being said, let's say you have a stable revenue stream coming in, and you're ready to turn the corner. Do you buy into a larger ISP who already has a data center somewhere in the U.S. and take say a 51% share in it? Would you just keep acquiring additional smaller hosting companies and merge them into your brand? What would you do if you're looking for long term investment for the next 10-20 years in an ISP?
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE

Additionally, at what point do you bring in someone else to run the ISP and help it grow?

By that I mean, I am very good at making money and finding opportunities. I have been working on the web for some 16 plus years now, and while my central focus has changed over those years, my ability to make money has not. However, as things continue to grow you require someone who has a solid network engineering background, experience negotiating bandwidth contracts, data center architecture, and things of that nature.

While I am very good at raising the capital though my various ventures, and coming up with the vision and direction of a company for maximum revenue potential, that back end network stuff is not my strongest skill set. I feel I am getting close to that point of bringing in someone. The problem, same as LiquidWeb and other Michigan based ISP's have run into is, a lack of quality potential candidates in the area.

I am sure other ISP's have had similar grief while growing. I would like to hear stories as to how you overcame these challenges as you expanded and built up your brand.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE