Thread: DNSBL data...

DNSBL data...

I know this is a dumb question, but since I am merely a user of DNSBL's, and not the maintainer of one....

Where does the data come from that DNSBL's use to list IP's?

I would love to report the hundreds of spam messages I get every day across all of my accounts and my customer's accounts.

Can someone give me an overview of how this works?

I believe most of the data is usually through honeypots set up.

You could also report it though, for example: http://www.sorbs.net/listing/submission.shtml

Email use a plugins / modules to block any spam messages. When you report a suspicious email abuse or spam. This being sent to DNSBL listings . They would have applied some algorithms to list a IP in there database. or people can list Ip manually. When getting a lot spam.
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine Networks / Datacomm / GSP

Shared hosting | cPanel reseller | VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VOIP | GSP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

Quote Originally Posted by starionhost View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but since I am merely a user of DNSBL's, and not the maintainer of one....

Where does the data come from that DNSBL's use to list IP's?

I would love to report the hundreds of spam messages I get every day across all of my accounts and my customer's accounts.

Can someone give me an overview of how this works?
    How do you know your customer's haven't opted in for some of the messages? You can report your own spam, but it may not be spam for your customer.

I used to work for an EMS (Email Service Provider) and 90% of the "spam complaints" were bogus. People forgot they signed up to receive the emails, usually through a sign up form. They withdrew their complaint when we told them the browser, IP address and date and time they signed up. They were afraid to click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the message because they thought that would increase their spam.

If it's unsolicited email marketing from a recognized email service provider, such as ConstantContact, MailChimp, Aweber, Moon-ray, etc. then simply click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message. The fines are huge for legitimate email marketers if they don't honor that.

If the mailer is spamming, those companies will kick them off the service and assist in the prosecution. If it is not from an email service provider, you can report them, but its a lot of work for very little benefit. By the time you report them they are usually already blacklisted.

"How do you know your customer's haven't opted in for some of the messages? You can report your own spam, but it may not be spam for your customer."

Because I have a mechanism in place where they can report it to me as their hosting provider. Also, when you get the same message across 300 accounts, it's very likely spam.