how to setup web in wordpress

Hi there,

I just registered with downtown host. (quite new to this). could you tell me how to create my site with wordpress. my site is still now working. First I was with HG and cancelled as it took time to activate the site.

Any idea?

Do you have any autoinstaller such as softaculous? If you do you can install wordpress in 1 click.

If you dont, head over to the wordpress site and upload all files via FTP to your web space. Then you will have to setup the database details and then you are all done.

Hi!

We use softaculous, login to your cpanel, and almost at the end of it, you should see the icons to install wordpress with just a few clicks. If you can't do it, please open a help desk ticket and a tech will help you with it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

DTH did not send me any details for cpanel

Check the spam box of your email account, otherwise, again, open a help desk ticket and a tech will help you.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, especially for one-click installs...SECURITY....a feature which one-clicks does not provide and hosts do not setup for you.

Take a look at http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Also, VERY IMPORTANT, especially for one-click installs...SECURITY....a feature which one-clicks does not provide and hosts do not setup for you.

Take a look at http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress and ask questions.
    I agree. Getting WordPress installed is merely the first step. Once it is installed, the site owner still needs to do a proper security lock down of WordPress. This is true regardless of how WordPress gets installed. (auto-installer or manually)

Here are the steps we recommend for properly securing WordPress after it is installed.

1. Update WordPress to the latest version using the update function in the WordPress admin section.

2. Install the "Better WP Security" plugin in WordPress. This will add brute force detection and auto-blocking, and it will make it easy to make additional security related improvement to your WordPress site.

3. Click on the Security tab in the WordPress admin to tweak the security settings.

4. Change the admin username to something else (since the hackers are trying to guess the password for the WordPress admin account).

5. While you are tweaking security, change the WordPress table prefix, the user id 1, and some of the other items listed in the Security tab. These things are not related to this current wave of brute force attacks, but these are generally good security ideas that will likely help against future attacks.

6. Disable and Remove every theme and pluggin that you are not currently using. Leave only the "Better WP Security" pluggin if you can. Fewer themes and pluggins will mean fewer things for hackers to target in the future.

7. Choose a really strong password for your admin level user. Long, completely random jumbles are the best, because they cannot be quickly guessed in a dictionary attack. Don't use plain English words. Remember, 20+ character random jumbles are drastically more secure than simple passwords like "qwerty" or "password123". Even after you have changed the admin user's username, it is still important to take password complexity seriously.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

There's nothing "better" or even remotely good about the "Better WP Security" plugin. All it really does is stuff crap in the htaccess file, and even that isn't optimal. I've seen lots of site loading issues on that one. Its best avoided.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I agree with 48-14
    the amount of times as a developer i have had to lock down sites after repairing a hack due to insecure wordpress installs well, i would not be able to count on all my toes and fingers, it's a lot.

A lot of people think "wordpress 1 click install? ahhh done", but sorry your not it has to be secured and a lot of hosts do not support 3rd party software too much hassle.
    ohostme.com
    From shared hosting to Excellent value Business hosting on dedicated servers.
    Value and great service always with that personal touch! Been in hosting business 6 years +

Quote Originally Posted by creativeweb1 View Post
    I agree with 48-14
    the amount of times as a developer i have had to lock down sites after repairing a hack due to insecure wordpress installs well, i would not be able to count on all my toes and fingers, it's a lot.

A lot of people think "wordpress 1 click install? ahhh done", but sorry your not it has to be secured and a lot of hosts do not support 3rd party software too much hassle.
    Most hacked wordpress sites are with old version. If people just update their site in time most hacks would not happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    There's nothing "better" or even remotely good about the "Better WP Security" plugin. All it really does is stuff crap in the htaccess file, and even that isn't optimal. I've seen lots of site loading issues on that one. Its best avoided.
    We have seen excellent results with the Better WP Security plugin. I like some of the htaccess stuff that the plugin does. For example, any IP attempting a brute force login will be blocked automatically using htaccess. That is an effective way to stop many of the brute force attacks. What security plugin do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by alteron View Post
    Most hacked wordpress sites are with old version. If people just update their site in time most hacks would not happened.
    I agree that users need to do a better job keeping WordPress (and plugins and themes) updated. That would help, but there is more to the problem than simply keeping updated. Even if everybody kept their WordPress sites updated, many hacks would still occur. Even the latest version of WordPress lacks a native defense against brute force attacks. WordPress needs the help of a 3rd party security plugin to defend against brute force attacks.

They mention "Pre-Installed Script Library" on their site, but the link is broken. You may want to contact their support team and see what that is all about. I would guess that means 1-click WordPress setup, but I'm not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSupportLinuxHostin View Post
    I agree that users need to do a better job keeping WordPress (and plugins and themes) updated. That would help, but there is more to the problem than simply keeping updated. Even if everybody kept their WordPress sites updated, many hacks would still occur. Even the latest version of WordPress lacks a native defense against brute force attacks. WordPress needs the help of a 3rd party security plugin to defend against brute force attacks.
    Sadly, relying on users to update WordPress.....never happens. I've seen some, a full year, no updates to plugins or core files.

But I almost don't blame them in some situations;

1. a badly coded theme. Once the core is updated, everything breaks

2. Or a slight change in the core code, again, update, break.

I think the core update issue was around WP2 -> WP3. I don't recall the exact version, but it was 2 years ago. Almost every site broke with that update. WP released a fix within 48 hours.

Hi everyone,
    As advice here I installed Better WP security and changed some settings. I changed prefix too. However, when I active SSL my site completely disappear. Then I contacted my web hoster and they manage to reappear again. But now I can not log in to admin site. Then I delete BWP security in plugin login to Cpanel but still have no luck..

could anyone can help me please.

Quote Originally Posted by sudu76 View Post
    could anyone can help me please.
    Have you contacted your host about this? They appear to be offering to help you earlier in this thread.
    There's no such thing as an unmanaged server - It's actually self-managed. Worth remembering next time you're looking for someone to complain to.
    DATA VALUATION SERVICE: Your data's value is linked directly to your backup strategy. If YOU don't have your own backups then YOU value your data at ZERO. So why should anyone else care when you lose it?