Thread: Private IP's

Private IP's

Can someone please put this into easy terms i can understand, what exactly is a Private IP, and does this mean that this is some kind of GOV entity or can anyone attain one.

I was checking an ip for security purposes and it came back with this message.

Reserved IP Addresses for private internet use
    You have entered reserved IP Address 10.xxx.x.xxx for private internet use
    and IP lookup for these will return not results.
    Remember that IP address ranges
    10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255,
    172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255,
    192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    and 224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255
    are reserved IP Addresses for private internet use and IP lookup for these will not return any results.
    Maybe it is someone connecting using their personal home network that does not have an external IP mask ?

UPDATE: i found an explanation of private IP, but i still wonder why their IP was not translated NAT. Should this be a clue that something is not right with this contact, possibly even illegal or hacked? It's suspicious but im not sure if i need to take any action or not.
    Last edited by durangod; 11-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Hello,

Baiscally a private IP range is some IP's which can be accessed only from inside of it's own network and not from the internet. A computer/server using a private ip cannot access the internet only if NAT has been set up on the router/gateway server. Those IP's are a range of IP in each class of IP A-C.
    More information about those you can find here

For an IP to be updated the router of gateway server has to be configured with NAT.

Thanks, my concern is that this person signed up for my WHMCS but has a private IP.. Should that concern me, is that a red flag?

The safe way is if everyone would concern you until they don't prove that they are real. That by talking with them getting their CC or whatever security measure you have implemented. Unfortunately there are quite a lot of people who wants to cheat people by any mean they can. Therefore being suspicious is needed in this business.

They probably had their browser configured to send an X-Forwarded-For header with an IP from a private range. This header is user supplied and thus can't be trusted - but WHMCS accepts it as their actual IP.

If your install isn't sitting behind a proxy (an appropriate situation for using the forwarding header) then you should configure your server to drop it.