Question What kind of web hosting would you recommend for this specific purpose?

I am running an iOS/Android game that has about 1000 daily downloads total and growing.

I want to make the game so people download all of it from our servers.

It will weight about 100 MB.

So I need ability for:
    1) Minimum 1500 people connecting daily to download 100 MB with excellent speeds and no downtime.
    2) Once we have an update about 150'000 people per day would connect to download the update (weighting about 100 MB)

What would be best for this? VPS? Dedicated? Any other particular details?

Get a CloudVPS in my opinion. It will fit perfectly for your current need and scale flawlessly based on your growth.

Woah. 150,000 people download 010 MB in a day. That is 15,000 GB of data in one day - or 15 TB.

Definitely not a VPS. Dedicated or cloud - or you could look at a CDN for the actual 100MB file. Whatever you go for, make sure your plan comes with the total monthly traffic you need, otherwise you could get hit with suspension or costly overage charges. For example, if you went for a cloud setup that bills your monthly bandwidth by the GB, make sure you've worked out what 15000 GB would cost, and check it's within your budget.

Whatever way you do it, this won't be cheap.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

It sounds like you need one of those 100TB dedicated server type offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by nixtree View Post
    Get a CloudVPS in my opinion. It will fit perfectly for your current need and scale flawlessly based on your growth.
    What is the difference between CloudVPS and regular VPS? Why do you suggest Cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Any ideas of such server offers?

My vote goes for Dedicated server.And I agree with JamesOakley,this won't be cheap.
    WebuzoHosting.com
    █ INSTANT Managed XEN VPS and Dedicated Servers with Webuzo Premium Control Panel
    █ Brand name servers HP and DELL | DDoS protection | 99.9% Uptime | CloudStats monitoring | 24x7x365 Managed Support | Satisfaction Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoViral View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    Any ideas of such server offers?
    @HostXNow can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was referring to http://www.100tb.com/
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    @HostXNow can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was referring to http://www.100tb.com/
    Not necessarily that provider, although it's a popular one. I've also seen other providers offering 100TB, such as UK2, Leaseweb, Swiftway and RedStation to name a few.

Hello,

According to us you can opt to Dedicated Server.

Aside from using dedicated server, your most important thing to consider is the bandwidth you need.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Aside from using dedicated server, your most important thing to consider is the bandwidth you need.
    Very true. Make sure it is good quality bandwidth as you'll definitely not want to skimp on that!
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared/Reseller cPanelŽ Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (877) 240-7767 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks, after reading several articles on different server types I decided I will use a dedicated Linux server. The question is - which company? There are so many to choose from. We definitely need good connectivity for Russia as most players are Russian.

I'm pretty sure Apple/Google hosts all the apps, why would you want people to be able to download it from your server instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Buycpanel-Kevin View Post
    I'm pretty sure Apple/Google hosts all the apps, why would you want people to be able to download it from your server instead?
    Because my app size exceeds a limit where they allow to download via 3G. So people see a big size of app and skip download. Now, we will have an app weighing 5MB and many people will download and then the other files will be downloaded from our server. This way we get more users.

Very smart way of building your app like this. You say your going with a dedicated server you may want to check out ovh.co.uk , or even a provider like softlayer or liquid web will do justice in this case. Let us know who you choose to go with and if their services are good for you.

Because my app size exceeds a limit where they allow to download via 3G. So people see a big size of app and skip download. Now, we will have an app weighing 5MB and many people will download and then the other files will be downloaded from our server. This way we get more users.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryServers View Post
    Very smart way of building your app like this. You say your going with a dedicated server you may want to check out ovh.co.uk , or even a provider like softlayer or liquid web will do justice in this case. Let us know who you choose to go with and if their services are good for you.
    These guys seem to be sold out:
    http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/index.xml

Will check the others.

Oh, and we also need support/sysadmins to be counted in the price. A linux server is fine.

There's a long story behind why OVH is sold out - if you search the internet or this forum you'll find it. The short version is: Yes, find another provider!
    James

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    There's a long story behind why OVH is sold out - if you search the internet or this forum you'll find it. The short version is: Yes, find another provider!
    I'm getting more specific about the server requirements.

- Dedicated Server
    - 8 GB RAM
    - SATAIII Hard Drives
    - Unlimited connections
    - At least 100 Mbps Network Uplink
    - Can be up to $200 a month
    - Provides tech support in cases of server issues.
    - Must be in Europe/Russia
    - At least 99% uptime guarantee
    - Linux

Take a High Quality VPS!

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDB View Post
    Take a High Quality VPS!
    Why? It is less powerful than dedicated? Can you tell me which VPS will offer 1GB uplink?

More to the point, I cannot think of one VPS provider that would give you 15 TB of download a month, let alone in a day.
    James

Good job on your game bud! I would suggest getting a dedicated server, hands down and no questions asked!

Don't get a dedicated server if you're hosting static content, get a CDN, it'll perform much better.

If you're really hard pressed for cash, you could try (and don't quote me) - uploading the files to a VPS then using Cloudflare's CDN, which I would think works, but have never tried.

Quote Originally Posted by derp View Post
    Don't get a dedicated server if you're hosting static content, get a CDN, it'll perform much better.

If you're really hard pressed for cash, you could try (and don't quote me) - uploading the files to a VPS then using Cloudflare's CDN, which I would think works, but have never tried.
    What's a CDN? We are ready to pay up to 200$ monthly for the dedicated. What companies could you recommend us?
    Last edited by LetsGoViral; 11-30-2013 at 06:30 AM.

IMHO, your first goal can be achieved by a dedicated server(or a decent VPS with good IO and network)but you will need a more complex setup for your 2nd goal and that surely will cost you way more than $200/mo. There are many providers in EU area who can meet your requirements for both goals.

I decided to go with Hetzner.

I would have suggested the same - dedicated server. Goodluck
    Epidrive Webhosting Solutions - Premium Quality Hosting Made Affordable
    Berry Servers - The Most Affordable VPS Servers

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it works out.

All the best.

These guys seem to be sold out:
    http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/index.xml

Will check the others.

Oh, and we also need support/sysadmins to be counted in the price. A linux server is fine.
    check :

oneprovider (very good in services with a lot of locations)

fibernetworks ( USA / Dallas and WDC ) LEVEL3 dedicated drop

OVH is always SOLD OUT

I would reccomend having your site on one server and your download on another to seperate them out that way if your downloads reach your bandwidth limit your site remains up.

Just a suggestion though!
    ohostme.com
    From shared hosting to Excellent value Business hosting on dedicated servers.
    Value and great service always with that personal touch! Been in hosting business 6 years +